HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 10:31 AM

Wow, what a stupid play by Williams on that missed field goal return...

So now 5 teams in the CFL are 2-2..

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 4:14 PM

The Eskimos have only allowed 56 points in 4 games.

That's insane in the CFL.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 4:41 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

And we play winnipeg this week...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 5:31 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:

14 points a game.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
And we play winnipeg this week...
Hey now, I'd like to see any team try to win four road games in a row with 10 starters out of their lineup (due to injury)

..that said I fully expect Esks to come out and beat the young Bombers again. Esks D is shaping up to be the best D in the league...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:56 PM

Yeah, Winnipeg has had awful luck this year. All teams have to deal with adversity, but any team would be in the basement with the number of injuries in key positions that the Bombers have had.

Speaking of injuries, the CFL better have enough guts to discipline Khalif Mitchell for his attempted arm-breaking UFC-style move on Rottier. For those who haven't seen it, here it is:

http://watch.tsn.ca/cfl-news-and-highlights/#clip725226

The attempted arm break happens at the 0:40 mark. It's pretty nauseating.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Winnipeg has had awful luck this year. All teams have to deal with adversity, but any team would be in the basement with the number of injuries in key positions that the Bombers have had.

Speaking of injuries, the CFL better have enough guts to discipline Khalif Mitchell for his attempted arm-breaking UFC-style move on Rottier. For those who haven't seen it, here it is:

http://watch.tsn.ca/cfl-news-and-highlights/#clip725226

The attempted arm break happens at the 0:40 mark. It's pretty nauseating.
Yeah, I saw that and was very shocked....dirtiest play I've seen in ages in the CFL. I can't think of anything that comes close atm....

Rottier is a key part of the Esks, I hope he's OK. I also do hope that the league suspends Mitchell. Not cool what he did there.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 9:38 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Yeah, I saw that and was very shocked....dirtiest play I've seen in ages in the CFL. I can't think of anything that comes close atm....

Rottier is a key part of the Esks, I hope he's OK. I also do hope that the league suspends Mitchell. Not cool what he did there.
Rocket Ismail stomping comes to mind....but yeah....It's one of those plays that you really cant defend.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 7:27 PM

CFL suspended Mitchell for 2 games.

And lo and behold, just as he flatly denies any wrongdoing, he is childishly appealing the suspension.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=401345

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 7:52 PM
BANNED

What's with the poor attendance in Montreal only 21K for the last two home games.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 5:47 PM

Quote:
CFL suspended Mitchell for 2 games.

And lo and behold, just as he flatly denies any wrongdoing, he is childishly appealing the suspension.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=401345

He's going to appeal?? For trying to rip someone's arm off or what

Anyway, good on the CFL for giving a 2 game suspension...that's a lot of play time and 2 big cheques for a player, in an 18 games season. Hopefully he learns his lesson from that. He doesn't realize the implication...he could have ended someone's playing career and thus their job.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 5:50 PM

Excellent analysis article about the Bombers injuries + 4 road games in a row. Hope this puts some perspective on the Bombers' woes - and not just the Bombers, but any CFL team facing a long road stretch. it certainly helped me understand a bit better what players have to go through physically behind the scenes. It can apply to any team in the league with a long read game stretch. Our management has been absolutely brutal this year...

I recommend clicking the link to read the whole thing, as its a good read, but below are some excerpts

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...spx?id=4515898

Quote:

In the offseason, Winnipeg Blue Bombers brass approached the CFL and asked if the team could front-load the schedule with as many road games as possible.

Why?

The Blue Bombers were hoping to have their new stadium, Investors Group Field, host their first game at the beginning of the 2012 CFL season.

The quiet talk among the experts was, there was no way the stadium would be ready for that target date. In fact, construction was two-to-three months behind schedule.

Still, the executives pushed ahead with their plans.

Quote:
In the meantime, here's a review of the Blue Bombers' schedule since Week 1:

Friday, June 29, Winnipeg at BC, which meant a three-hour flight of 1,383 miles, through two time zones.

Friday, July 6, Winnipeg at Montreal, a three-hour flight, of 1,496 miles, through one time zone.

Friday, July 13, Winnipeg at Edmonton, a 90-minute flight of 812 miles, through one time zone.

Wednesday, July 18, Winnipeg at Toronto, a two-hour flight of 1,304 miles, through one time zone.

That's four road games in 19 days.

When you add in the distance to get back from the various cities, the Blue Bombers flew 9,990 miles and spent 19 hours in the air.
Quote:
"Experience as both a therapist and a competitive athlete tells me that one's body is usually most sore two days after a game. It's not a coincidence that that is when pro football teams schedule their day off on a regular work week. For example, game day, run down day, day off, day 1, 2, 3, then the day before the game. A shortened work week results in modification to this schedule, particularly if there is travel involved.

"So, it becomes game day, travel day, day 1, day 2, travel day. Run down day is either eliminated or is done once the team arrives home and typically the off day is replaced with a lighter practice day, and not a full day off."

So, what can a player do to prepare himself for such a brutal schedule?

Quote:

"In BC, the game ended at 10 p.m. BC time (midnight Winnipeg time). The players changed, showered, packed a bag, found a restaurant, grabbed a bite to eat and then started to wind down. That's roughly a 1 a.m. return to the hotel. Hopefully, he's asleep by 1:30 a.m. The wake-up call comes at 4:30 a.m. to catch the first flight home. The rest of the day off usually means sleep all day, which equates to no hydration, inadequate nutrition and insufficient therapy. In short, a recipe for poor performance or injury.

Here's another ingredient in that recipe: the effects of flying:

"Generally, it takes one day to [adjust to flying into a new timezone...]"

(really recommend reading the whole article!)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 7:37 PM

Khalif Mitchell is a great player but that was an awful thing he did. I'm not sure 2 games is quite enough but at least the league took quick action.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 4:08 PM
Littering and............

Quote:
Always nice to see rider fans get their hearts ripped out.

I'm confident it didn't hurt nearly as much as Tillman trading away Ricky Ray on you!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 4:19 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Excellent analysis article about the Bombers injuries + 4 road games in a row. Hope this puts some perspective on the Bombers' woes - and not just the Bombers, but any CFL team facing a long road stretch. it certainly helped me understand a bit better what players have to go through physically behind the scenes. It can apply to any team in the league with a long read game stretch. Our management has been absolutely brutal this year...

I recommend clicking the link to read the whole thing, as its a good read, but below are some excerpts

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...spx?id=4515898

(really recommend reading the whole article!)
I'm not sure I buy all those arguements. There is certainly a school of thought about it being easier for a struggling team to play on the road because they dont have to deal with the expectations of the home crowd.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 4:56 PM

Injuries are why the Bombers have sucked so bad, and sometimes lots of injuries just happen.

I've seen some years where the Eskimos entire O-line or entire defensive secondary get injured within a few games that contribute to a lousy record, and it had nothing to do with their schedule.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 5:45 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I buy all those arguements. There is certainly a school of thought about it being easier for a struggling team to play on the road because they dont have to deal with the expectations of the home crowd.
Well, I travel around Canada (and sometimes overseas) about as much as the Bombers do and it takes a crap ton out of you when you do it week in week out. It really does add up and mess one's routine. When I don't travel for longer periods of time, its a huge difference. Sure one gets used to it, but only to an extent.

That said, it is what it is. It shouldn't be an excuse for them or for any team, its part of the game. The road games exist there so they and every other team has to deal with them one way or another.

The real culprit for the Bomber's woes are the injuries. They have tons of starters out. We've found nice replacements with Chad Simpson and Cory Watson came back but injuries can really mess up a team, and they've messed the bombers up bigtime. So many rookies or players with no CFL experience make mistakes, sometimes game changing mistake (see Browne and Etienne vs Argos last week)

Quote:
Injuries are why the Bombers have sucked so bad, and sometimes lots of injuries just happen.

I've seen some years where the Eskimos entire O-line or entire defensive secondary get injured within a few games that contribute to a lousy record, and it had nothing to do with their schedule.
Well the schedule certainly didn't help them at all. But you're right definitely, injuries are the main issue.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 6:39 AM

Jyles sucks.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 2:02 PM
GQMF

Sure was loud last night. BLUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 2:21 PM

The top spot in the east will be decided tonight! (Provided Sask. beats Hamilton tomorrow)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada