HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Nobody slams into a motorhome regardless of line markings or not. Would you just follow the markings blindly into an oncoming motorhome? The guy was obviously asleep or very fatigued.

I drove through that section while it was under heavy reconstruction in May when they just finished scraping the lines off. I stayed to the right as far as possible and so did people in the opposite direction. Something you learn when you first start driving. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be driving.

People really need to learn to think for themselves and not blindly rely on paved lines.
I agree, when paying attention and fully awake, line markings, while they should be on every road possible, are not required to avoid accidents.

It would also help save some lives if everyone wore seat belts.

Quote:
“All four rear compartment passengers were not wearing their seatbelts at the time of the collision.”

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 11:55 PM

I also noticed driving between Chilliwack and Abbotsford on a dark, rainy night that there were no cat eye reflectors on the lines. As a compensating factor, many oncoming motorists are driving that stretch of highway with their high beams on, blinding drivers and increasing the liklihood of an accident.

I just sort have conceited that B.C.'s road network is built upon the shoulders of cheap-skates.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 9:08 PM

^^ Those people are idiots. using your high beams is illegal when anybody is coming towards you. Not to mention, rain+highbeams = less visibility and lots of glare.

I just did a loop via 99 to Lillooet and back down the #1...as soon as you get into the Fraser Valley your blood pressure start rising due to incompetent drivers that have no clue about rules, laws of physics, common courtesy, etc.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 7:57 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmo Bowl View Post
The lack of lines is definitely concerning. Another concerning issue for me is the lack of concrete sidewalks in the lower mainland. Asphalt is not acceptable.
Oh I agree. I live in Metrotown, while there are some blocks with nice new wide concrete sidewalks, there are lots of blocks with misbegotten 1970s concrete where it's all stones with asphalt patches. The sidewalk adjacent to the properties at Willingdon and Kingsway where the Bosa tower is going to be is just terrible, it's almost all asphalt molded as if it was concrete, with lots of old pieces. That development can't come soon enough. A tall fantastic tower would be great, but I wouldn't complain about anything they build as long as they fix the damn sidewalk.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 8:42 AM

^And in Surrey it isn't even an age issue; there have been some recent road widening projects in residential areas where sidewalks weren't even built. For all the money Metro Vancouver cities are spending on cyclists, pedestrians are really losing out.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 12:30 AM

No lack of road lines in this accident...

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/100115714.html

90% of traffic accidents are driver error. Road lines or medians or whatever will not stop these accidents from happening.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
No lack of road lines in this accident...

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/100115714.html

90% of traffic accidents are driver error. Road lines or medians or whatever will not stop these accidents from happening.
Well, they smoked a truck that was in a closed lane of the highway. Hard to say without more details on the story, however...

Speaking from some experience, they are doing a poor job of advanced signage when there are temporary lane closures. I drove past a construction truck on the edge of the road (ie not even the shoulder), that was stopped. Lights were flashing, but it was close to a corner and not visible from far away. It was slightly hair raising to say the least.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 3:21 AM

So going 200km/h+ at night in a construction zone played no part whatsoever, the construction crews are at fault for not signing in advance?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 4:04 AM

I had to stop in the middle of the highway due to those work trucks once. I was coming home at ~8 PM during the winter and the guy was stopped half in the right lane and half on the shoulder picking up cones! So even if you aren't driving like a maniac it can be dangerous. Another time they parked on the shoulder where the mirrors and a bit of the bed was still in the right most lane...I had to swerve to not hit it.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 11:45 AM

It's a CONSTRUCTION zone, expect it!!! If you're going 80km/h which is not that fast, you shouldn't have a problem.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 5:30 PM

Quote:
So going 200km/h+ at night in a construction zone played no part whatsoever, the construction crews are at fault for not signing in advance?
And alcohol certainly didn't help the driver in making the right decision.

Hmmm...
Left Lane is closed for construction?
Yee Haw! Nobody in this lane to slow me down!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 5:41 PM

Quote:
I had to stop in the middle of the highway due to those work trucks once. I was coming home at ~8 PM during the winter and the guy was stopped half in the right lane and half on the shoulder picking up cones! So even if you aren't driving like a maniac it can be dangerous. Another time they parked on the shoulder where the mirrors and a bit of the bed was still in the right most lane...I had to swerve to not hit it.
And because you knew you were in a construction zone, you likely were extra cautious & had a heightened aware that things that can happen without any warning.

At 80KPH & sober & early evening you have a better chance of reacting correctly to a truck unexpectedly parked in your lane (or partly in your lane) than you would at 180KPH & drunk & tired & very late at night.

The real tragedy isn't that the driver Darwined himself, but that he took two buddies with him.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
The real tragedy isn't that the driver Darwined himself, but that he took two buddies with him.
Well he officially only took out one buddy, the other buddy Darwined himself by not wearing a seatbelt. The one survivor probably learned his lesson about hanging out with strangers, especially one drunk behind the wheel of a ridiculously fast car. (I heard it was a BMW M5). At least he wore his seatbelt, although I'm guessing he sat on the rear right of the vehicle which seems to be less damaged than the rear left.

BTW someone looked at an RCMP report, the official speed of the car at the time of the accident was 290km/h. Three and a half times faster than the speed limit. The survivor should seriously count his blessings, it won't be around again if he's ever in a car accident at 290km/h.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
And because you knew you were in a construction zone, you likely were extra cautious & had a heightened aware that things that can happen without any warning.

At 80KPH & sober & early evening you have a better chance of reacting correctly to a truck unexpectedly parked in your lane (or partly in your lane) than you would at 180KPH & drunk & tired & very late at night.

Not defending that guy, just saying that major safety improvement are needed during construction and strict construction safety guidelines need to be put in place to avoid accidents for sober, alert, and law obeying drivers.
There is no excuse for parking a fully functioning work vehicle in a dangerous location without warning ahead of time (i.e cones and other lane blocking methods). It was just the meathead workers cutting corners to get the job done without considering their safety or the safety of others.

In countries like Germany, there are at least 2 work vehicles used with plenty of advanced warning with cones and markers. Likewise, the 2nd vehicle is a special crash absorbing truck that is designed to protect the main work truck and the car should somebody hit it.
This guy was straddling two lanes and picking up cones. If it was up to me, I would have fired him on the spot for endagering his life and the life of others. Likewise, the guy that parked improperly on the shoulder should have been suspended for a few days as well.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 8:56 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Well he officially only took out one buddy, the other buddy Darwined himself by not wearing a seatbelt. The one survivor probably learned his lesson about hanging out with strangers, especially one drunk behind the wheel of a ridiculously fast car. (I heard it was a BMW M5). At least he wore his seatbelt, although I'm guessing he sat on the rear right of the vehicle which seems to be less damaged than the rear left.

BTW someone looked at an RCMP report, the official speed of the car at the time of the accident was 290km/h. Three and a half times faster than the speed limit. The survivor should seriously count his blessings, it won't be around again if he's ever in a car accident at 290km/h.
It was a BMW 7 series, which are limited to 250km/h. It's possible the car was modified and the limiter removing although thats unlikely as the car was rolling on stock rims. That being said, even something like 160km/h to zero would be a horrifying crash. I am surprised anyone survived the accident, seatbelt or no seatbelt.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 9:02 PM

Yea someone on another forum informed us that it was a 7 series, and yea I Googled it and found that both the M5 and 7 are limited to 250km/h. That'll teach me for quoting other forum members without seeing the actual source! I didn't think an M5 would have tan seats anyway.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Nobody slams into a motorhome regardless of line markings or not. Would you just follow the markings blindly into an oncoming motorhome? The guy was obviously asleep or very fatigued.

I drove through that section while it was under heavy reconstruction in May when they just finished scraping the lines off. I stayed to the right as far as possible and so did people in the opposite direction. Something you learn when you first start driving. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be driving.

People really need to learn to think for themselves and not blindly rely on paved lines.
Thank You

The fact is if something is coming towards you move to the right. Don't keep driving straight on into what is driving towards you. Lines should not be needed to tell you where to drive. Never assume the person coming towards you has seen you.

Best advice is if you can't see the lines. Because they may not be in place yet, or they are faded or due to weather circumstances. Stick to the far right side of the road. If you want to pass someone one and your not sure if there is a passing lane on your side. Wait until you get to a nice long straight section where you can see up a good distance up ahead. Don't try passing in a corner.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 2:47 AM

So, to update - it has come to my attention that there is a shortage of a certain material needed for road paint.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...n-short-supply

It's an old article - but that could explain why BC is taking a long time to paint lines on new asphalt. If that's the case - I fully understand..

Just think they could use reflectors instead - because I think spacing them normally would do the trick.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 3:25 PM

Hwy 7 had its lanes temporarily shifted to the south between Wren and Nelson, ultimately it'll be 4 lanes through that short stretch but they did use permanent line paint as it'll be a year before the project is complete. They did not use reflectors, I'm not sure if it's because the lines are temporary or maybe they're shifting away from reflectors, but the lines are reflective and very easy to see with both of my cars, one of them with halogen lights the other with HIDs.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure