HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
I thought BC1 and BC2 were under the tarps were the bombardier building is now?
Really, I thought BC1 and BC2 went back to Ontario or something? Anyone know the whereabouts of BC1 and BC2? Those should for sure be at the Centre for display.

You know what, I'm really trying to jog back my memory now, I do recall at least two vehicles covered in tarps. One was Mark II length and another was shorter, possibly BC1 and BC2 although I don't remember three.

Now that this MKII prototype has been found I would really really love to know what happened to the MKI prototypes BC1 and BC2 which in my opinion actually looked better than the production MKIs.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 12:11 AM

Lol, if you want a case of engineers trying to design something, take a look at the new rooftop cooling tower enclosure I designed on top of the CBC building at 700 Hamilton.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 2:47 AM

Those were probably the ones called "Fat Albert".

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 1:13 PM

Nothing that hasn't been seen before.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcoolman View Post
Really, I thought BC1 and BC2 went back to Ontario or something? Anyone know the whereabouts of BC1 and BC2? Those should for sure be at the Centre for display.

You know what, I'm really trying to jog back my memory now, I do recall at least two vehicles covered in tarps. One was Mark II length and another was shorter, possibly BC1 and BC2 although I don't remember three.

Now that this MKII prototype has been found I would really really love to know what happened to the MKI prototypes BC1 and BC2 which in my opinion actually looked better than the production MKIs.
After doing some digging, I found that one of the cars is now at the Canadian Science and Technology Museum, but the second car is still missing. I'm not sure if maybe Bombardier only gave the museum one car because in this photo (http://www.johngerretsenmpp.com/Phot..._0_PhotoUP.jpg ) there looks to be a different car (freshly painted?) on the left than in the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVe6bwaudeU). While we're still discussing prototypes, the mockup of the new Mark III in the photo looks good!

Photo credit:
http://www.johngerretsenmpp.com/ViewImage.aspx?id=92 (no author mentioned)
Video Credit:

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Engineers aren't paid to be designers.

Fortunately Bombardier has some staff with a design esthetic who can make their trains more pleasing to the general public after the engineers get what they need from the prototype.
Indeed.

Remember though this car was not build by Bombardier, as the SkyTrain technology was still being built by UTDC at that time.

And this particular car had no internal controls, essentially it looks like a cargo train inside. with no trim, seats, lighting etc. If you go and look at it, watch as there is a missing panel in one end, allowing one to "fall though the floor".

It was parked at the BC Hydro yards on 88th Ave east of Scott Rd in Surrey for many years after leaving the SkyTrain OMC off Edmonds, before making its way to Squamish.

From contacts I have in the WCRA, it will be at the park someday.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcoolman View Post

I agree that BC1 and 2 look better than the production models.

The shorter vehicle you recall from the tarps, was not a real train. It was in fact the MK1 mockup that was on display hanging overhead in an impressive display at the Ontario Pavilion at Expo 86. Its doors were permanently welded open, and its seating configuration was totally different from production models. It was essentially 3/4 of a train car, with one end blocked by a fitted steel plate. Like fitting an end cap on a pipe.

I don't know where that went. Probably to scrap somewhere.

As for BC1 and 2, not even Bombardier seems to know, but the rumors that the cars went back east seems to be the most accepted.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure