HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
In terms of the old city, looking at the use of the terms "West End" and "East End" for businesses and institutions on Google maps:

Most West End" is located between Bathurst and High Park, south of Dupont

Nearly all "East End" is located south of Mortimer Ave. between the DVP and Victoria Park.

Amalgamation has little impact in terms of the use of the term, as people still can identify Etobicoke and Scarborough.

Do you mean that people in the city, when they use the term "west end" or "east end" they basically only mean the boundaries you just described? I think that's what you're saying. I could definitely see it being like that.

For suburban people like me, and the people I talk to, who are almost all suburban as well, we usually refer to Scarboro to Oshawa and Etobicoke to Burlington.

As for the fishing forums I'm on, it's the same thing when we say east end or west end. When we say we were fishing in the east end, we're talking about Duffin's or Carruther's Creek or Rouge River. For West we're talking about the Humber or Credit River or Bronte Creek.

Last edited by megadude; Nov 28, 2017 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 4:36 PM

By the way, took a drive on the weekend from Markham to Uxbridge, Sunderland, Beaverton and Sutton as I had never been to those places. Plus did a little scouting for future fishing trips.

Those places seem like GTA in name only as technically defined by their region's boundaries. And they are quite aways out. But they do have small subdivisions of newer type housing that is so predominant in much of the GTA.

But the landscape, which has tonnes of farmland and some barren vistas, reminds me much more of the Kawarthas on the way to Peterborough. Plus it seemed like half the vehicles were pick up trucks. Almost thought I was in Alberta.

And I did see 8 guys rip through on the shoulder of Hwy. 12 on ATVs to continue onto whatever trail they were riding. And I saw a snowmobile trail sign. I can't recall see either of those things in rural Milton or Caledon for example.

Last edited by megadude; Nov 28, 2017 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 10:38 PM

While Yonge splits the streets east-west, the Don is more of a psychological barrier, in some sense our "Thames."

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 1:47 AM

Whatever the east/west divide, it was probably more pronounced when Howard Moscoe was growing up in the 1940s and 1950s.

From his memoir (even if a bit in jest): "I had grown up in the west end and I knew downtown Buffalo better than the east end of Toronto. I used to get anxiety attacks if I wandered anywhere east of Jarvis Street."

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 6:35 PM

I live in the west end (keele & 401) and I absolutely love how clean the east end looks. Everything looks so much more spacious and tidier. Especially the roads. I feel that west end roads are more cramped and congested compared to the east.

However, I think that the west end apartments are more affordable and also a little bit more spacious. Did my fair share of apartment hunting and would def say I had more options in the west within my budget.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 2:43 PM

West wins the "snob contest" in the east vs west debate:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star...ands-down.html

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:18 AM

I've always favoured the east, not that I can afford most of the neighbourhoods I like there. Still holding out faith that I can somehow land in the Beaches someday.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto