HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Transit Terminal Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 2:13 AM

They have a different building in the TTT lot than before... hmmm...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
They have a different building in the TTT lot than before... hmmm...
I wouldn't put too much stock into anything yet.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post

Even though there are a lot of different views in these drawings (computers are very good at this) the level of detail strike me as still being ones that are made early in the design process. I think these are better then the last batch that were released, but still have a long way to go. Having 29th St. become two way seems like its just going to add to what is already a nasty traffic area. I also don't understand their need to completely ignore the success of "the porch" and propose a cold a inhuman plaza between the station and Market St.
Re: "the porch" - Came here to say just this. I hope we get some of the welcoming and playful parts of the porch like the swings. And what's wrong with tables and chairs with umbrellas so folks can eat lunch in comfort?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 5:29 PM

Amtrak reveals new designs for Station Plaza at 30th Street Station

Read more here:
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/11/14...aza-renderings

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 5:51 PM

"At the open house, feedback of the landscaping and paving patterns was deemed 'not appropriate for the historic nature of the station and would not age well.'"

My sentiments exactly. Goodbye polka dots.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 6:12 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I wouldn't put too much stock into anything yet.
At the end of the day, that lot is in the hands of whatever master developer is appointed by Amtrak.

I have a guess as to why the tower is shown this way, but it has nothing to do with what could or will happen in the future. It's just as much speculation as the building shown in the District Plan.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
At the end of the day, that lot is in the hands of whatever master developer is appointed by Amtrak.

I have a guess as to why the tower is shown this way, but it has nothing to do with what could or will happen in the future. It's just as much speculation as the building shown in the District Plan.
If you are referring to the building site(s) north of the station, then I agree with you, and that future is largely a unknown. But I believe, I certainly hope that the plans for the land immediately around the station and especially the underground connection between SEPTA and Amtrak, continue to slowly unfold and that those parties along with the City and State push to find ways something like this happen on its own and not wait for a developer to be named for the whole district plan.

No more polka dots and SAVE the Porch.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
If you are referring to the building site(s) north of the station, then I agree with you, and that future is largely a unknown. But I believe, I certainly hope that the plans for the land immediately around the station and especially the underground connection between SEPTA and Amtrak, continue to slowly unfold and that those parties along with the City and State push to find ways something like this happen on its own and not wait for a developer to be named for the whole district plan.

No more polka dots and SAVE the Porch.
They'd be nuts not to connect SEPTA and Amtrak underground.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 8:34 PM

76ers Will Trust the Process at 30th & Market

"According to a source at the 76ers, the team is actively working on a plan to build a new arena on the southwest corner of 30th & Market."

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ss-30th-market

This site is part of the 30th St site.

Edited: proper link

Last edited by GtownFriend; Apr 2, 2018 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
76ers Will Trust the Process at 30th & Market

"According to a source at the 76ers, the team is actively working on a plan to build a new arena on the southwest corner of 30th & Market."

This site is part of the 30th St site.
I think this is an April fool joke, albeit a very detailed one. Great renderings but usually these arenas don't have a sponsor yet at the planning stage.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 9:13 PM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I think this is an April fool joke, albeit a very detailed one. Great renderings but usually these arenas don't have a sponsor yet at the planning stage.
Yup haha link is already dead.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
Yup haha link is already dead.
Proper link:

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:27 PM

From an Amtrak email:

Quote:
As part of ongoing work to enhance the customer experience at Philadelphia 30th Street Station, Amtrak is actively seeking a master developer partner to improve the historic station. With the release of a Request for Qualifications (RFQ), Amtrak begins a two-phase process that will result in the selection of a preferred developer who will assist the railroad in introducing new customer amenities, reinvigorate the retail and commercial potential of the station, enhance transit and pedestrian circulation and expand the station’s concourses to accommodate anticipated increases in ridership.
Quote:
During development of the 30th Street Station District Plan, the community indicated a preference for future modifications to the station and its surroundings to include a safe and direct connection between the nearby SEPTA subway station on Market Street and Amtrak 30th Street Station. Since the completion of the District Plan, both Amtrak and SEPTA have been working to advance this suggestion. In 2017, Amtrak brought on a design team to study the design elements association with creating a new underground passenger concourse. After six months of work, the team has created an attractive and exciting option for Philadelphia that is on par with world class transportation hubs around the world.
PDF of concourse plan: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pendix_web.pdf

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
From an Amtrak email:

PDF of concourse plan: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pendix_web.pdf
This sounds like the very same place Amtrak and Co. were in last summer, when they had hoped to have a RFD ready in the fall. As much as I am a believer in a workable national public high speed train system, when it comes to future planning Amtrak consistently sticks it's foot in it's mouth, then takes it out and shoots it. I've got zero faith in Amtrak's ability to be the prime mover in any development of their land around the station. But it's not all bad news; I'm sure, very sure that Amtrak will sponsor another round of working on a "master Plan" in another couple years. Another set of plans showing shinny buildings will get us all pumped up.
Of course if Amazon were to come to Schuylkill Yards then maybe a private developer would have interest in taking over working on building something in this area.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
This sounds like the very same place Amtrak and Co. were in last summer, when they had hoped to have a RFD ready in the fall. As much as I am a believer in a workable national public high speed train system, when it comes to future planning Amtrak consistently sticks it's foot in it's mouth, then takes it out and shoots it. I've got zero faith in Amtrak's ability to be the prime mover in any development of their land around the station. But it's not all bad news; I'm sure, very sure that Amtrak will sponsor another round of working on a "master Plan" in another couple years. Another set of plans showing shinny buildings will get us all pumped up.
Of course if Amazon were to come to Schuylkill Yards then maybe a private developer would have interest in taking over working on building something in this area.
Amtrak postpones search for 30th Street developer amid Amazon HQ pursuit

Quote:
Amtrak has postponed its search for a developer to remake the area around 30th Street Station amid signals that city officials intend to pitch an adjacent swath of University City to Amazon as a potential site for the e-commerce giant’s planned second headquarters campus.

The transit agency’s lead contract administrator, Carole Owens, said Monday in an email to potential development partners who had registered for an Oct. 11 tour of the station area that the search would be delayed “until such time a decision on the Amazon headquarters has been made.”

The postponement, coming less than three weeks before Amazon’s deadline for headquarters proposals, shows that Amtrak is taking seriously Philadelphia’s odds of snagging the Seattle company’s new campus, said Dean D. Bellas, president of Alexandria, Va.-based real-estate and planning consultancy Urban Analytics.

“This could potentially be an economic boom for Amtrak, so it would be worth their while to step back for a moment,” said Ballas, author of a recent report on transit-linked development projects for the Urban Land Institute.

Not sure if this means Amtrak knows something or just wants to keep the process moving regardless.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 8:11 PM
Mr. Technology

Amtrak is wise to pause their ambitious plans to yield this important opportunity for Amazon.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:01 PM

Amtrak resumes search for 30th St. development overseer with focus on shops, restaurants at station

Quote:
Amtrak is resuming its search for an overseer to begin redeveloping its vast University City land holdings around 30th Street Station after putting the effort on hold last year amid signs that Philadelphia officials intended to propose nearby sites to Amazon for its planned second headquarters.

The rail operator’s renewed call this month for a master developer identifies improving the 1930s station’s retail offerings, office space and mechanical systems as the first steps toward completing a decades-long initiative known as the 30th Street Station District Plan, which eventually may include capping nearby rail yards so they can be built over.

In Amtrak’s previous “Request for Qualifications” from developers wanting to lead the project last summer, the rail company targeted surrounding parcels, in addition to the station itself for the plan’s first phases.

That solicitation was withdrawn in October after moves by the city to pitch Brandywine Realty Trust’s adjacent Schuylkill Yards project to Amazon.com Inc. for its new corporate campus, which the Seattle company has nicknamed HQ2. Philadelphia also pitched Amazon on the uCity Square development to the west of Schuylkill Yards.

With Philadelphia now among 20 localities across North America shortlisted for the project, Amtrak “felt the time was right to go back out to the market,” Beth K. Toll, a spokeswoman for the rail company, said Thursday.

“Postponing the RFQ allowed for additional market analysis and research to rescale the scope of the project to align with near-term market demand,” she said. “The result is a focus on the station, first and foremost.”

The District Plan was devised through a two-year, $5.25 million study published in 2016 by a group led by Amtrak, SEPTA, Drexel University, developer Brandywine and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

It envisions the redevelopment over 35 years of what would be a 175-acre site — including capped railyards — between Walnut and Spring Garden Streets, east of the Drexel University campus and Powelton Village.

In its first crack at securing a developer to begin that work, Amtrak included among its first phases the reconfiguration of the public plaza around the rail station for easier pedestrian access and the redevelopment of a now-vacant 32,500-square-foot tract known as Parcel 1 just to the building’s west.

In the new, more-station-focused RFQ, Amtrak sets as a priority more and better shopping and restaurant spaces in the building to tap what is thought to be $200 million in unmet spending potential in the area, according to the solicitation document. Amtrak has said it envisions shopping kiosks in the station’s main atrium, the replacement of the current South Concourse food court with a food hall, and a bar and lounge in the now little-used North Concourse.

The new solicitation also calls on developers to revamp the building’s 220,000 square feet of usable offices now occupied by Amtrak, so the rail company can be consolidated into half of that space and the rest renovated for another commercial use. In addition, the building has about $92 million in immediately necessary infrastructure upgrades, including repairs to its climate-control and mechanical systems, according to the document.

“The development must transform the historic station building into a vibrant destination rather than just a pass-through facility,” the company writes in the request. “Development at the station will provide opportunities for commercial amenities and civic assets that welcomes and serves travelers, residents, students and visitors.”

Also included in the RFQ are second-phase projects, which entail the improvements to the public plaza around the station and the construction of a new transit concourse in a north wing of the station that’s now used for parking. Another phase-two project is the planned underground passage linking 30th Street Station with SEPTA’s Market-Frankford Line, which is envisioned in the document as a shop-lined promenade.

The request does not entail any work on new development sites surrounding the station, partly to leave Amtrak’s options open in case Amazon selects sites in University City for its HQ2 project, Toll said.

In its pitch to Amazon last year, Philadelphia officials highlighted the availability of Amtrak’s property as a supplement to the area’s other development sites.

“Should Amazon select University City as the location of its second corporate headquarters, there is an additional 58 acres of adjacent Amtrak property north of the station for potential air rights development,” Toll said.
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...html?mobi=true

Amazon or not I see this as a good sign, particularly opening up 100,000 square feet of space in the station itself.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:38 PM

Amtrak's needs

http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion...-20180515.html

Although the above piece in many ways isn't any good, it does give an indication how large and vast Amtrak's plate is as it looks at the future. I say this because I think Amtrak's announcement yesterday is much to do about nothing. If Amtrak is having difficulties in keeping it together as a train company, with nationwide responsibilities I wonder and doubt how much energy they are going to put into building up the 30th. St. Station area. Sure, if a developer comes along and knocks them off their feet they'll be glad to sign on, but considering how small in scale this announcement is they should be able to do most of it in-house.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:51 PM

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:48 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Awesome TK. Keep up the good work!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals