HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:16 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Is there any vegan/vegetarian joint better than or on par with the Coup in Calgary?

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 4:52 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Is there any vegan/vegetarian joint better than or on par with the Coup in Calgary?
Since no one is answering your question, I think that means you're asking the wrong demographic group! I have been to Coup a couple of times and I really enjoyed the food. There are other vegetarian choices in town but I don't know any that are better than Coup.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 5:59 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

I don't think there's a better veggie resto in Canada better than The Coup. But you might want to check out Madly Organic, 1455 17th Ave SW. The menu isn't huge but what they do they do very well. It's not pure veg/vegan but the focus is veg. They're only open until, I think, 6 so try it for lunch.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:08 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I don't think there's a better veggie resto in Canada better than The Coup. But you might want to check out Madly Organic, 1455 17th Ave SW. The menu isn't huge but what they do they do very well. It's not pure veg/vegan but the focus is veg. They're only open until, I think, 6 so try it for lunch.
Cool thanks Rusty. I will say that Live! in Toronto might give the Coup a run for it's money, but I haven't eat extensively at each to really say for sure. I will certainly check out Madly Organic.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:15 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Nickname View Post
Alley Burger to be featured on tonight's Eat St. on foodtv.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Ca...055/story.html

AIRDATES
You Gotta Eat Here, airs Fridays at 7 p.m.
May 11: Fat City Franks
May 18: Diner Deluxe
May 25: Jelly Modern Doughnuts
June 1: Evelyn’s Memory Lane Cafe (High River)
June 8: Chuckwagon Cafe (Turner Valley) and Tubby Dog
June 29: Pfanntastic Pannenkoek Haus
---
Eat St., airs Wednesdays at 8 and 8:30 p.m.
May 9, 8:30 p.m.: Alley Burger
May 23, 8 p.m.: Fries & Dolls
May 23, 8:30 p.m.: Perogy Boyz
This is great! I was at Fat City Franks last weekend and the owners are so pumped about the television promo that they will be getting. They are very eager to franchise. Funny they changed the name from Chien Chaud because their market research shows that people just didn't get the name! WTF!?

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
This is great! I was at Fat City Franks last weekend and the owners are so pumped about the television promo that they will be getting. They are very eager to franchise. Funny they changed the name from Chien Chaud because their market research shows that people just didn't get the name! WTF!?
That perogy style hotdog looked tasty.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 4:02 AM
not a NIMBY

I had dinner at the Little New York Bistro in Longview tonight. It seems the Longview Steakhouse has become quite a hit and Saturday night was booked up by Friday so we went to the LNYB, which was just reviewed by John Gilchrist but I haven't heard the review yet. I would think it would have been quite favourable.
We really enjoyed our dinners. To start I had a green salad with a bright red pomegranate vinaigrette. She had the soup (can't remember) which she said was excellent. We both had rib eyes which were very flavourful. The veg were crisp cooked and perfect.
The table next to us said they really enjoyed their juicy loaded burger and lamb chops.
I think the place has a lot of potential as it is in a newer log cabin type of structure, but it needs some decorating touches to add some ambience, but not from Walmart as they have that look now. There is lots of patio room out front and there were people dining outside when we were there.
The owners used to work at the LS a couple of doors down the main street and opened the Bistro 3 years ago (new to me!). They are from Morocco as is the husband of the LS owners.
I would go back. If I was driving to or from Fernie I would stop for a burger or else try their wraps.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:03 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl69 View Post
That perogy style hotdog looked tasty.
It's every bit as brilliant as it looked on tv!

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:05 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I had dinner at the Little New York Bistro in Longview tonight. It seems the Longview Steakhouse has become quite a hit and Saturday night was booked up by Friday so we went to the LNYB, which was just reviewed by John Gilchrist but I haven't heard the review yet. I would think it would have been quite favourable.
We really enjoyed our dinners. To start I had a green salad with a bright red pomegranate vinaigrette. She had the soup (can't remember) which she said was excellent. We both had rib eyes which were very flavourful. The veg were crisp cooked and perfect.
The table next to us said they really enjoyed their juicy loaded burger and lamb chops.
I think the place has a lot of potential as it is in a newer log cabin type of structure, but it needs some decorating touches to add some ambience, but not from Walmart as they have that look now. There is lots of patio room out front and there were people dining outside when we were there.
The owners used to work at the LS a couple of doors down the main street and opened the Bistro 3 years ago (new to me!). They are from Morocco as is the husband of the LS owners.
I would go back. If I was driving to or from Fernie I would stop for a burger or else try their wraps.
He gave it 8/10 and I believe he only had lunch!

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:46 AM
not a NIMBY

8/10 is pretty good! I meant to mention that the dinner entree choices are listed on a blackboard and very limited - chicken, steak, lamb, mahi mahi - which I appreciate rather than offering an extensive menu that fails to deliver.
They had a couple of appetizers (snails was one choice) which we didn't try. Also we had a bottle of California pinot grigio. The wine list is small, in the owner's head.
Dessert was orange creme caramel and warm blueberry crumble with Amaretto chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream both made in house.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:31 PM

Does anyone know a good place to get a couple cedar planks for cooking salmon? I know places where I can get some, but Rona or Home depot seem kinda overkill.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:44 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Does anyone know a good place to get a couple cedar planks for cooking salmon? I know places where I can get some, but Rona or Home depot seem kinda overkill.
At Rona, HD, Walmart, Can Tire you can buy a bundle of cedar planks(4) in these little packages. Normally found in the BBQing secton.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
At Rona, HD, Walmart, Can Tire you can buy a bundle of cedar planks(4) in these little packages. Normally found in the BBQing secton.
CT sounds promising. Thanks

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 5:26 PM

Go to Totem - you can get a 5/4" x 5" piece starting at $6.32 for an 8' length - then cut it yourself into smaller segments.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 5:46 PM

Superstore usually has a package/kit as well with a cedar plank in it.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 6:06 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post
Go to Totem - you can get a 5/4" x 5" piece starting at $6.32 for an 8' length - then cut it yourself into smaller segments.
Or you could go to TimberTown and buy that same piece for $6.28 and support a local Calgary business.

Just sayin'.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Or you could go to TimberTown and buy that same piece for $6.28 and support a local Calgary business.

Just sayin'.
That would work - couldn't see it on your website with pricing though...

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:17 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

I took a look around the newly-opened Jameson's Pub on 17th Ave SW. What an incredible improvement over the dollar store that was there before (though it was nice to have a dollar store) and just an incredible change for the block vs the always-dead piano store that was there when I first moved to Calgary. I didn't eat but the space and the patio are really beautiful. http://jamesonspubs.com/17thavenue/home

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:03 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I took a look around the newly-opened Jameson's Pub on 17th Ave SW. What an incredible improvement over the dollar store that was there before (though it was nice to have a dollar store) and just an incredible change for the block vs the always-dead piano store that was there when I first moved to Calgary. I didn't eat but the space and the patio are really beautiful. http://jamesonspubs.com/17thavenue/home
I think you would agree that 17th, for the most part, is vastly improving. While some good stores were lost, such as MegaTunes, there has been a marked improvement in many areas. The dollar store became Jameson's, the Source Adult Video become Wild Wing (plus a future restaurant by the owner of 1410 and classic Jacks), a shoe store became Borgo, The Wicked Wedge became UNA (while I liked Wicked Wedge, UNA is far superior), a Rogers Video is becoming CIBO, etc etc.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I think you would agree that 17th, for the most part, is vastly improving. While some good stores were lost, such as MegaTunes, there has been a marked improvement in many areas. The dollar store became Jameson's, the Source Adult Video become Wild Wing (plus a future restaurant by the owner of 1410 and classic Jacks), a shoe store became Borgo, The Wicked Wedge became UNA (while I liked Wicked Wedge, UNA is far superior), a Rogers Video is becoming CIBO, etc etc.
I disagree with you on the wicked wedge/Una point. To me the loss of wicked wedge was a major blow to 17th ave and Una does not come close to filling the gap. I liked Una, but I would take the wedge over it any day. It fills a very different niche, one that doesnt really exist anymore. Its not really an either or scenario, there is plenty of room on 17th for both.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation