HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
It's right next to an inner-city Skytrain station and a busy articulated bus line - pretty well connected to the transit system if you ask me.
Yeah, except on the rainiest and windiest days, the walk from the station is just fine. In fact, from stepping off the bus or train, Main street is closer than stepping off a plane to Canada Line. But I would say it's better suited for intercity travelers than commuters, as the parking lot is perfect for taxis taking travelers to their hotels.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 12:53 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM2010 View Post
I admit, I haven't been to the train station, but I have gone past it several times on Skytrain. Too bad it wasn't better connected to the rest of the transit system. I traveled around Europe some time ago and was impressed by the way everything was so interconnected: the airport was connected to the rail line, and the bus lines, etc. Here in Vancouver, until the Canada Line was constructed, the airport was disconnected from Skytrain, the Greyhound bus station sat by itself somewhere else, the train station was somewhere else again, etc. It was a real hassle transferring on and off the bus/taxi/Skytrain.

It would be nice if some of that money could somehow be used to improve the interconnectivity of the systems.
ummmmm let me get this straight .... you understand that Mainstreet Station and the greyhound is CLOSER together than the Seabus is to Waterfront Station..........

so by your calculations .... the Seabus and Skytrain are NOT properly connected eh?

bus/taxi/Skytrain ............. ummm you understand that anyone who takes a taxi from Main & Terminal to the Greyhound station is the most lazy person in the world correct?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 4:03 AM

A covered walkway from Pacific Central to Main Street Station would be good - like at Brentwood from the station to the bus loop.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 4:54 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM2010 View Post
I admit, I haven't been to the train station, but I have gone past it several times on Skytrain. Too bad it wasn't better connected to the rest of the transit system. I traveled around Europe some time ago and was impressed by the way everything was so interconnected: the airport was connected to the rail line, and the bus lines, etc. Here in Vancouver, until the Canada Line was constructed, the airport was disconnected from Skytrain, the Greyhound bus station sat by itself somewhere else, the train station was somewhere else again, etc. It was a real hassle transferring on and off the bus/taxi/Skytrain.

It would be nice if some of that money could somehow be used to improve the interconnectivity of the systems.
The greyhound bus station is at Pacific Central....

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
A covered walkway from Pacific Central to Main Street Station would be good - like at Brentwood from the station to the bus loop.
But wouldn't that destroy the park? Or maybe they can make it sort of match the park somehow.
Undergound walkway anyone?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 5:06 AM

I was thinking along the Terminal Ave sidewalk

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 5:26 AM

that would look pretty bad i don't know the traffic of people there but its not that heavy bus and train arrivals aren't that heavy are they?
it would end up being filled by homeless people who seem to linger in that park

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 8:34 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
I agree with that, the actual path could be nicer, but it is pretty close.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 8:39 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I agree with that, the actual path could be nicer, but it is pretty close.
Close, but remember people coming off long-distance transport have luggage. A covered walkway would be a good idea.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 9:53 AM

Quote:
I was thinking along the Terminal Ave sidewalk
I think that would work, then people could walk under cover if it's raining, or chose the shorter path through the park if they don't mind getting wet. People won't sleep under it if it's right along the road.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 8:49 PM
BANNED

i think a covered walkway would be a good idea. It doesn't have to be enclosed so that homeless people don't fill it up, but a glass canopy would work just fine. Something like the glass canopy above the recently installed concrete benches at the convention centre would work perfectly. I think the most important thing would be to block out the rain. Even have glass on one side would also work to reduce wind under the walkway

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 8:55 PM

you could always move the Main St station next to the train and bus stations, on the east side of Main St

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by golog View Post
you could always move the Main St station next to the train and bus stations, on the east side of Main St
Or just add an entrance to the station to the east once the station gets renovated and the platforms expanded.

Edit: nevermind there's already an exit on the east side of main street. I guess if they renovate the station and expand the platforms the entrance could be even closer to pacific central. I say all that's needed is a glass canopy on the path through the park to protect people from the rain. More than that would be a waste of money, I doubt there are that many people transferring.

Until we get something like a commuter train going to SoF from this station along the grandview cut/burnaby lake tracks there's not much more need to make transferring between the two stations easier or more comfortable.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure