HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Houston still not recovered from oil downturn. For my field, I've seen a crap ton of opportunities in the SF and San Jose areas. None here.
What field is that (generally speaking)? If you don't want to say, that's ok. Just curious.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 12:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'm kinda surprised about Cleveland. Most of Northern OH is pretty tied into the auto industry and not that different economically than Detroit, yet Detroit has significantly lower unemployment.

Of course, we aren't talking enormous differences here. The first and last place cities aren't massively different.
Detroit has all of the white collar auto industry jobs, while Cleveland doesn't.

Much of the hiring in the Auto Industry this cycle, at least domestically, has been in engineering and tech roles. The suppliers and OEMs, on the other hand, have been far more disciplined when it comes to ramping up hiring for the assembly line jobs and support roles.

As someone who's not in engineering or tech, that's at least part of the reason I got the hell out of the Rust Belt.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 12:37 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Detroit has all of the white collar auto industry jobs, while Cleveland doesn't.

Much of the hiring in the Auto Industry this cycle, at leat domestically, has been in engineering and tech roles.
Plus Ohio was / is more of a parts producer than Michigan. Parts are now extremely globalized.

But AFAIK, Ohio remains the #1 State in the Midwest in terms of industrial demand for electric power.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 11:51 PM

I am surprised that Seattle is lower on the list, given the tech companies that have been attracted to it along with Amazon and Microsoft. Probably cities like Las Vegas and Houston are higher than Chicago and Detroit may be due to a combination of continuing higher population (and labor force) gains along with recent sluggishness in employment growth (Houston, energy slump; Las Vegas, entertainment construction just now increasing).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 12:31 AM

#1 Des Moines, IA: 2.4%

Up from 2.1% in May, but that's because 11,000 people joined the labor force and only 9,000 of them got jobs right away. That's a 3% increase in employed persons in the DSM metro in one month.

Des Moines continues to be the "most influential city on earth".

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions