HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:52 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvor202 View Post
Looks like the Thom Bargen Coffee shop will be opening very soon under Portage and Main! Really small location though.
How big does a coffee counter need to be?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 3:34 PM

Does anyone know what might be going into the new restaurant being built on Regent behind the Starbucks and beside the Dairy Queen? I was initially hoping for a second IHOP but heard a solid rumour that it's split into two different places - one being Popeyes Chicken and the other being Been & Flourentines. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjong123 View Post
Does anyone know what might be going into the new restaurant being built on Regent behind the Starbucks and beside the Dairy Queen? I was initially hoping for a second IHOP but heard a solid rumour that it's split into two different places - one being Popeyes Chicken and the other being Been & Flourentines. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
I can confirm Ben and Florentine will be one of the tenants, don’t know the other or others.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
With the number of local pizza joints and even smaller chains coupled with the juggernauts of BP and Pizza Hotline
Just FYI, as big as Pizza Hotline is they are very much a locally owned place. I am not sure if the different locations are franchises or not but there is definitely a family the owns the group at the top level.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvor202 View Post
Looks like the Thom Bargen Coffee shop will be opening very soon under Portage and Main! Really small location though.
It’s open today. And yes as mentioned above, simply a counter to order and grab, no seating.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Just FYI, as big as Pizza Hotline is they are very much a locally owned place. I am not sure if the different locations are franchises or not but there is definitely a family the owns the group at the top level.
What's his name from the commercials is the owner of Pizza Hotline. He franchises out most locations. That being said, the franchisee's tend to own numerous locations. Such as some in Winnipeg, Calgary (café 22), and Steinbach stores being owned by the same people.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 6:19 PM

^Jerry Cianflone.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 9:09 PM

Popeyes opens this weekend at Seasons of Tuxedo

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:21 AM

Sage Creek is getting a Mary Browns (almost ready to open) and a Fast Fired by Carbone (just started interior construction)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:23 PM

Popeyes opened on the weekend at seasons.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:23 PM

Thom Bargen Coffee must be in the round as I could not find the shop in WS.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:24 PM

^It's in the P&M Circus.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^It's in the P&M Circus.
And it's tasty. Gonna be a nice addition in the core... apparently they've been overwhelmingly busy, atleast considering their staff and supplies (can't fit more than 2 people there).

Also nice that they found space in the circus. I'm sure Tim's in Richardsons, Starbucks in 360 and Fairmont, as well as Mercantino in 201 all had stipulations preventing coffee operations. Slick move by the city.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Brasserie to offer French-inspired fare in St. B
Jill Wilson Movers and shakers By: Jill Wilson
Posted: 08/16/2018 4:00 AM

When the Free Press spoke to the Cornerstone Bar and Restaurant’s Norm Pastorin last year about what the Winnipeg food scene was missing, the Red River College-trained chef said he’d like to see a French-style brasserie open up, serving hearty, unpretentious fare "without the fine-dining stigma, white tablecloths."

Not content to let the idea be just a pipe dream, Pastorin and his Cornerstone partner Miles Gould (the pair also operate the Grove) are preparing to launch the Black Bird Brasserie at 101-300 Taché Ave. (formerly home to Bouchée Boucher restaurant/butcher shop, which closed suddenly earlier this year; its owner, Steve Conner, is being sued for $260,000 in damages by Harborside Farms).

Pastorin says the menu will echo the structure of the Grove and Cornerstone, a short list of soups, salads and entrées, and French-influenced brasserie fare such as steak frites.

On the side of the space that formerly housed the butcher shop, there are plans for a second location of the casual sandwich/coffee shop called Canteen that just opened next to the Grove, which offers a short but appealing menu of breakfast wraps, pizza, burritos, salads, smoothies, desserts from Lilac Bakery, De Luca’s coffee and tea in a bright, minimalist space.

Manager Megan Moxley says the Canteen — which is open from 7 a.m to 10 p.m. — is about quick, healthy food and drink options, with a focus on take-away, though there are a few stools and laptop-friendly stations.

"They’d always had this space, but it was undeveloped," she says of the Grove owners’ decision to go with a coffee shop, something that’s been lacking in the neighbourhood around Grosvenor Avenue and Stafford Street. "They toyed with different ideas but they are really great as doing thing that add to the community."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Winnipeg tends to roll up the sidewalk when it comes to late-night dining, so the new Wet and Dry Dept. in the Exchange District comes as a welcome addition. Formerly the wine bar above the Mitchell Block at 173 McDermot Ave., the space has been renovated and rebranded as separate restaurant, with a distinct menu that focuses on affordable, eclectic comfort food. It’s open Fridays to Sundays until 2 a.m.; to midnight on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Chef Sean McKay (who is also behind Mitchell Block’s more elevated Mediterranean bistro fare) lists mac and cheese, fried chicken, fish and chips, ribs and a caesar salad with veal sweetbread "croutons" among the new offerings — check out instagram.com/wetanddrydept for photos and menus.

McKay says the space still has a lounge vibe, with an expansive wine list, classic and cutting-edge cocktails and a beer list that includes selections aimed at "more frugal customers." (Hello, PBR!) He’s hoping it will be a hit with night owls and theatre-goers alike.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fans of the River Heights location of InFerno’s Bistro only have a couple of days left to enjoy a meal at 414 Academy Rd. The restaurant announced via its Instagram account that it will be closing as of Friday, Aug. 17.

"This was not an easy decision to make," reads the post. "Our guests have become like family. There are many of you who are regulars, having come in weekly since we opened our doors. We are grateful for your patronage... Please know this is not goodbye; we are looking for a new location to make our new home."

The restaurant’s original location at 312 Des Meurons St., remains open. The Academy spot had recently hosted the HaChere series of pop-up restaurants featuring a curated selection of local chefs.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar....html?k=biHiNI

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 5:41 PM

I've heard a very likely rumour that a certain chain coffee shop on Graham will be shutting down in the next month or two. "Chose not to renew their lease", but I'm not sure if that's coming from the building owners or the cafe.

It will be interesting to see if they are trying to move into True North Square, or if they are simply abandoning that portion of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 6:27 PM

^ Wow, coffee shops have been in nonstop growth mode downtown for pretty well the last 15 years. Other than maybe one or two barely-alive Robins locations closing or converting I don't think we've really lost any cafes during that time. Are we witnessing peak downtown coffee?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Wow, coffee shops have been in nonstop growth mode downtown for pretty well the last 15 years. Other than maybe one or two barely-alive Robins locations closing or converting I don't think we've really lost any cafes during that time. Are we witnessing peak downtown coffee?
The Second Cup on Graham recently closed for about a week and then reopened. Several years ago it was the fifth or seventh highest earning store Canada wide. Those days are clearly past. The Twist Cafe that was across the street from the Second Cup on Graham closed last year or the year before. What is now the Pastry Castle on Edmonton Street used to be a coffee shop (name escapes me) that closed a few years ago.

Some of the coffee shops downtown were banking on a huge influx of customers when the Hydro Building opened. I'm not sure what, if any, effect the Hydro employees have had on downtown coffee shops.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
I've heard a very likely rumour that a certain chain coffee shop on Graham will be shutting down in the next month or two. "Chose not to renew their lease", but I'm not sure if that's coming from the building owners or the cafe.

It will be interesting to see if they are trying to move into True North Square, or if they are simply abandoning that portion of downtown.
Are we talking second cup or Starbucks?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid-Poster View Post
The Second Cup on Graham recently closed for about a week and then reopened. Several years ago it was the fifth or seventh highest earning store Canada wide. Those days are clearly past. The Twist Cafe that was across the street from the Second Cup on Graham closed last year or the year before. What is now the Pastry Castle on Edmonton Street used to be a coffee shop (name escapes me) that closed a few years ago.

Some of the coffee shops downtown were banking on a huge influx of customers when the Hydro Building opened. I'm not sure what, if any, effect the Hydro employees have had on downtown coffee shops.
Twist Café closed? I hadn't even noticed.

I would bet that Second Cup is likely the one on its way out. Second Cup was basically our Starbucks before Starbucks started opening standalone stores in Winnipeg in the early 2000s, and it feels like they've been languishing ever since. That store on Graham takes up a lot of space just as it did during its 90s heyday, but it rarely looks busy.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 9:13 PM

I'm not able to say for sure, but it's the place you'd go for your first cup, not your second cup. Early October is what I'm hearing for when they're out of the space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan