HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 2:17 AM

Mesmerizing shots especially the last one
Kudos to you !

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 2:40 AM
BROOKLYN

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 2:48 AM
Heavy User

The cladding looks extremely reflective in that last shot.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 5:04 AM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
The cladding looks extremely reflective in that last shot.
Any glass is extremely reflective when the angle is towards a bright sky...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 6:07 AM

It's going to be interesting to see how much reflection there is when they get several floors in.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 6:10 AM

What are we up to now? 48 stories? 49?

To think, last time i visited New York this is what i saw:

I can't wait to go back

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 6:20 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePDX View Post
I hate to harp on this, but look at they height of One WTC now and compare it to 7 WTC (The last three pictures). How can 1 WTC be almost 50 floors tall when 7 WTC is 52? 1 WTC looks a respectable amount shorter. I know the pedestal area is not per say 20 actual floors but isnt the height of the pedestal area based on what 20 actual floors would be like? There cant be that much difference in office floor height in 1 WTC and 7 WTC. Anyone explain this?
Marketing of skyscrapers apparently doesn't have the same strict codes as (believe it or not) pharmaceutical marketing. There is obviously no board making sure that truth in advertising occurs when floor numbering and height measurement numbers are given out to the public. Remember a few years back when Trump World Tower was marketed as a 90-story building? It actually has 72 stories and is 861 feet tall.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 6:38 AM

The base of the building or what they call the 1st 19 floors are the equivalent of 14 office floors 13'4" tall. Now there are 28 completed steel office floors above that. Or 42 office floors in the equivalent total. 7WTC is 52 floors.

Last edited by sw5710; Nov 22, 2010 at 6:51 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
#2WTCv2 is going to be 1358' and v1 was 1362'.
wow, that close? I guess the extra 4 feet was kept from happening because of the light going through? Hmm.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthornton17 View Post
wow, that close? I guess the extra 4 feet was kept from happening because of the light going through? Hmm.
or not, after reading the other post. lol. You have to believe someone would look at that before the new wtc 2 gets built. You would think they would come up with that extra 4 feet to make the new wtc 1 and 2 the same height as the originals. TO me that would be a nice tribute to the original towers. It also says to the idiots who took down those towers, we just built two awesome towers backs. The same height as the originals, plus a little more with a cool spire on the freedom tower (wtc 1)!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 9:25 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthornton17 View Post
^I still haven't seen any source of the 1358 figure, all the documents from Silverstein Properties have 2 World Trade at 1,350 feet. Most commonly cited as "1,270 feet (which includes a small glass parapet on the roof) plus an 80 foot antenna."

Last edited by STR; Nov 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 10:04 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
The base of the building or what they call the 1st 19 floors are the equivalent of 14 office floors 13'4" tall. Now there are 28 completed steel office floors above that. Or 42 office floors in the equivalent total. 7WTC is 52 floors.
7WTC has actually 56 floors, 52 office and 4 mechanical floors.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 4:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
^I still haven't seen any source of the 1358 figure, all the documents from Silverstein Properties have 2 World Trade at 1,350 feet. Most commonly cited as "1,270 feet (which includes a small glass parapet on the roof) plus an 80 foot antenna."
I've reposted those stories over in the 2 WTC thread where it's being discussed.

Shots from todays Discovery cams...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 5:01 PM

The floors are what they are, if this building says "110" than thats what it is, although it may not. you may count 60, 70, 80, but the only thing to me important is 1373 roof and then spire! No offence, but that is all that really matters! Everyone can have there own opinions about the floors, but they are what the planners decided they will be! Who cares? As long as the number matches the elevator, then what is the big deal?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 5:37 PM
New Yorker for life

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/10255

Fortress Ground Zero? Security Tactics Debated for WTC Towers

Tom Stoelker

Quote:
On Wednesday, architects and developers gathered to hear colleagues hold forth on the topic of “Innovation by Necessity” at New York’s Center for Architecture, a panel that seemed to promise a semi-sleepy discussion of building information modeling (BIM) at the World Trade Center site. But after several speakers outlined the logistics of the vast construction project, the panel veered into another topic entirely: an eye-opening primer on security strategies at Ground Zero.

Moderated by The New York Times’ Charles Bagli, the event brought three speakers together representing the site’s major stakeholders: government, architects, and contractors. First up, Robert Harvey, executive director of the Lower Manhattan Construction Command Center, delivered a sweeping presentation of development around the site (with some details sanitized for security purposes), along with the 50-odd projects below Canal Street that his office coordinates using a high-tech 4-D mapping system.

...when Carl Galioto, senior principal at HOK and an acknowledged expert on BIM, began to discuss security and design issues related to 1 World Trade Center, the crowd was riveted. Galioto, who also worked on Larry Silverstein’s 7 World Trade Center, noted that though Silverstein may not like to hear it, 7 was a prototype for the newer tower. And far more divulging than Harvey’s presentation, Galioto delved into the particulars of floor plans and the design of the tower’s core.

In the wake of September 11, Galioto noted, many observers called for escape routes in tall buildings to be located on the exterior, as opposed to the core, as was the case at the Trade Center’s original towers. Galioto compared this to lifeboats set loose within the dangerous environs of the ocean. Buildings anchor on land, he said, and therefore designers must return to the core for both safety and security.

To strengthen the core, the structure first needs to be fortified from the outside in. To that end, Galioto described a system of multiple lines of defense inspired by star-shaped forts of the 16th century. In the case of the World Trade Center, the buffer zones are both practical and at times aesthetically disguised. For example, the first zone includes a large park to the south and a smaller one to the north. The second protective zone centers on the base. Here, to the east and west, next to public highways and streets, Con Ed’s utilities hulk next to the concrete shell. The lobby opens onto the larger buffer park to the south.

The entire process repeats itself once again in the core, with stand-alone zones of protection—cores within cores. Extensive studies were conducted on how people descend stairs (they sway from side to side) to design the structure. In the fire escapes, doors open away from the direction of traffic, and provide enough distance for people to merge into the descending flow from floors above, just as cars merge on a highway.

Perhaps because Galioto was the last to speak, or maybe because he was discussing life or death issues, when the conversation opened to the floor, BIM was left behind and the focus remained on security. At one point, a member of the audience who has worked in Israel asked if New Yorkers weren’t overreacting a bit. Bagli fielded the question first.

“In Israel, you have a lot of soldiers on the street,” he said, before adding that machine gun–toting Carabiniere in Rome’s airport didn’t make him feel safe, either. Harvey replied that, in the end, protecting Lower Manhattan was a balancing act. “Downtown is unique,” he said. “It’s the nerve center of the economy. You have to balance risks and mitigation.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
7WTC has actually 56 floors, 52 office and 4 mechanical floors.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 11:30 PM
Because I'm Clever!

The two largest office buildings in New York, 55 Water St. Not sure which will be bigger in the end, as 55 Water is generally listed as 3 million sqft (which seems a little too well rounded to me), and Tower 1 is listed between 2.6M and 3.1M.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
The two largest office buildings in New York, 55 Water St. Not sure which will be bigger in the end, as 55 Water is generally listed as 3 million sqft (which seems a little too well rounded to me), and Tower 1 is listed between 2.6M and 3.1M.
This is actually an excellent visualization of why we don't see more supertall construction in the U.S. From an economic standpoint, if this tower offers the same leased square footage as 55 Water... what's the point?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
This is actually an excellent visualization of why we don't see more supertall construction in the U.S. From an economic standpoint, if this tower offers the same leased square footage as 55 Water... what's the point?
The economic point is being able to charge a lot more per square foot.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 1:02 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^I think there's a relationship. At any given size of development and depending upon the cost of land and labor, there is a range of roughly equal heights vs floorplates. Within this range, the extra rent from higher floors offsets the higher cost of building taller, to a point. At 4-5 million square feet, I think an extremely large building is more feasible as a 80-120 story building in most cities that need that much space. The Sears Tower and WTC Twin Towers were in that class. 55 Water, 1WTC, 2WTC, Metlife and other buildings in the 3Msqft range work as 60-80 story buildings. However, change any of the variables, and the solution changes as well. Drop land costs, and a two story building covering acres upon acres is deal. Raise land costs to Hong Kong levels, and suddenly 100 story buildings are feasible at 2.5Msqft.

55 Water, which I think we can all agree is a case of maximum floor space for minimum cost, is a case in point. Clearly, they could have built an even wider and shorter building, by making the eastern annex full height (the park gave the builders a FAR bonus, so it stays) while reducing the height of the tower. Make it a giant, squat, "L" shaped building. Except, it isn't, and it's not alone. This same thing is repeated across the city and the world. Therefore, within a certain range, the height vs width really doesn't matter. It's an even trade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive