HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 1:13 PM
Pay it Forward

World's Top 10 Commercial Airline Routes by Revenue, 2017-2018

London calling...lol

Remember that many if not all of these routes are served my multiple airlines', these are just the top 10 by revenue.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/top-re...rplane-routes/

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 1:31 PM
Vires acquirit eundo

Melbourne-Sydney schedule. Note who the top carrier is.

Qantas owns Jetstar, Virgin Australia owns Tigerair.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 4:01 PM

I'm amazed LAX-JFK isn't a busier route. I guess it's because it's split between multiple carriers fairly evenly, and even multiple airports in NYC? I imagine that would be the busiest air route between two cities globally. Next maybe NYC-London.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 4:04 PM

skipping to the bottom of the thread, guessing ill say nyc to london annnnnd, i dunno, hong kong to sydney.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I'm amazed LAX-JFK isn't a busier route. I guess it's because it's split between multiple carriers fairly evenly, and even multiple airports in NYC? I imagine that would be the busiest air route between two cities globally. Next maybe NYC-London.
NYC-West Coast is pretty evenly split between the NYC airports, so it isn't shocking.

But you do see two NYC-West Coast trips among the Top 10: JFK-LAX and EWR-SFO.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, LAX-JFK is the second busiest route from LAX. Only second to LAX-SFO.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 7:00 PM
life is good

For the ATL airport boosting I'm subject to, surprised they don't have a spot on here

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Most US cities have multiple airports. I'm not as familiar with LA although I know there's John Wayne Airport in Orange County, but in the SF Bay Area a lot of flights go to Oakland and some to San Jose. The gate fees must be lower at Oakland because a lot of the low cost fares go there--and Oakland is as convenient to downtown SF as SFO is by BART. In fact, it seems the bargain carriers often use these secondary airports.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 7:42 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Airport splitting is probably why Toronto YYZ - Montreal YUL isn't busier since there is probably a decent chunk of the traffic going through Toronto YTZ, while YTZ cannot handle longer range planes that can reach YVR.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
For the ATL airport boosting I'm subject to, surprised they don't have a spot on here
A huge number of flights but I guess the bulk would be internal connector flights.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 7:52 PM

Paris has 2+1 international airports now.

Roissy CDG. That's where you're likely to touch down when you come from the Americas (except for French Guiana, Martinique or Guadeloupe), Australia, Asia and so on.
It's the major world class airport here, and I'm sure a bunch of you guys had to go through it already.

Orly. Some European destinations + French overseas regions, such as those mentioned above.

And the latest, "Beauvais–Tillé Airport", mostly Euro + North African destinations, I believe.
Remote and meant for low-cost flights. It's cheaper, thus interesting to travel from there, but it's so annoying to get to it that I've never seen the new airport yet. In fact, I simply never went to Beauvais, as far as I go.
But it's surely something to increase competition locally, then airline tickets are cheaper and cheaper.
That's how Air France (when those laughable morons are not on strike) set up a low-cost subsidiary of theirs, 'Joon'. That's actually a South Korean female first name, but whatever.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 9:22 PM

Yea i would be interested to see the busiest city pairs in terms of metro-metro region flights. I imagine a lot of local connections would win due to the smaller airplane sizes and higher demand.. I.e. NYC-Washington, LA-SF, Toronto-Montreal, London-Paris, Sydney-Melbourne, etc.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 10:05 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
These are not all necessarily the highest volume routes, but the highest revenue generating. So distance as well as other factors play a role as well

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 10:27 PM
BANNED

This isn’t surprising since NY and London are the most important financial centers, and there is, therefore, a lot of air traffic between them.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 11:59 PM
if I sang out of tune

London is the world's biggest airhub with 6 international airports serving 171 million a year, with Heathrow the world's busiest in international passengers.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 12:31 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Most US cities have multiple airports. I'm not as familiar with LA although I know there's John Wayne Airport in Orange County, but in the SF Bay Area a lot of flights go to Oakland and some to San Jose. The gate fees must be lower at Oakland because a lot of the low cost fares go there--and Oakland is as convenient to downtown SF as SFO is by BART. In fact, it seems the bargain carriers often use these secondary airports.
Yeah, Southwest Airlines by itself has about 90 nonstops from the Bay Area to the LA Area. Aside from SWA, United, American, Delta, JetBlue, Alaska, Spirit and JetSuiteX all serve this corrodor.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 12:48 AM

What is EWR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
NYC-West Coast is pretty evenly split between the NYC airports, so it isn't shocking.

But you do see two NYC-West Coast trips among the Top 10: JFK-LAX and EWR-SFO.
Is EWR the name for all the LA area airports? Burbank/LAX/OC to SF/Oakland/SJ have to be among the busiest routes. Or is EWR Newark?

Also surprised NYC-Miami and NYC-Chicago aren't on list. Maybe because the NYC market is spit between JFK/La Guardia/Newark?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 12:53 AM
BANNED

EWR is Newark.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 1:32 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
London is the world's biggest airhub with 6 international airports serving 171 million a year, with Heathrow the world's busiest in international passengers.
Heathrow is 2nd by international passengers, just barely ahead of Hong Kong. Dubai has been #1 for 5 years in a row.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...senger_traffic

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It seems that way because it is. It's cheaper to operate out of secondary airports. That's why Southwest uses Midway instead of O'Hare; Love Field instead of Dallas/Fort Worth; Fort Lauderdale instead of Miami; BWI mainly over Dulles and Reagan; began in the Boston area in Providence and Manchester; etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions