HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 2:33 AM

Another huge expansion in the region for Memphis-based Baptist Memorial Healthcare. This on the heels of their under-construction $400 million hospital in Jonesboro, AR, which is about 60 minutes drive on the Memphis metro's soon to be new interstate highway spur, I-555.

Baptist unveils plans for Oxford, Miss., hospital
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi pulled back the curtain on plans for its new $250 million hospital campus in Oxford. The new hospital will occupy a brand new, six-story structure of 680,000 square feet with 217 beds on a 150-acre site selected in April. Among the upgrades at the new site will be • Patient rooms 50 percent larger than existing rooms • An emergency department expansion of more than 25,000 square feet • An intensive care unit expansion to 24 beds with the capacity to add 12 more in the future • Two medical office buildings totaling 40,000 square feet
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...or-oxford.html

MBJ

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Jun 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 2:35 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Just where I want to walk to, West Memphis, AR. That has to be the most horrific town Ive ever had the misfortune to take pictures in. I heard 3 guns go off in the span of an hour taking pictures of their "downtown".
Lol, other than that, this is actually a pretty neat project. There's already a green line in Memphis which runs from Shelby Farms to Midtown (8 miles or so) and then a green line that connects Midtown to Downtown is in planning. From Downtown, you can cross the Mississippi on the Harahan and connect to a future levee trail which you could theoretically take to STL or New Orleans. Will that ever actually happen? I doubt it, but the green line in Memphis has been a huge hit and I've ridden it a few times. The views of Downtown from the Harahan will be pretty nice.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 5:29 AM

personally, i think the bicycle lane over the harahan is a perfect opportunity for runners, walkers, cyclists, photographers, etc. those three structures are fair more beautiful than the hernando-desoto bridge. i posted a writing about three years ago regarding how beautiful it would be if the bridges could be painted copper. too, it would be a wonderful thing if small pull off areas could be spaced along the bridge, and sightseers, photographers, nature lovers all could enjoy looking at the river, city, steal a kiss from someone you really enjoy being w/ at the moment. anyway, i think the whole focus of the lane is really sight seeing in w. memphis, but the bridge experience, exercise, and the return to the big M.

in other news, was anyone aware that lafayette county (oxford) has been included in the memphis metro? if true, this adds about 48-50,000 to the metro number. not only that, it would be a big boost to educational facilities in the metro to have ole ms listed. again, i think it is a good thing---haywood county will end up being added, if plans for the car plant materializes.

one last comment. does it not seem to be a bad or silly (both) course of action for the carlisle company to spend the money they are spending and get the tax break they have sought and received, only to turn around in about 5 1/2 years and flatten it? it seems that they must have attended the harold collins school of poor urban practice, as he had so little insight as he suggested the demolition of one of the icons for which memphis is known. i assume that the crab shack location was not the site of the proposed one beale project. i was looking at emporis listings on memphis recently, and noticed how incorrect so much of the information is, and the fact that it doesn't treat the metro as a metro but as a county. it is about as unreliable as wiki, which is fraught w/ incomplete, wrong, and negative information. it must have been written by CA writer.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 7:25 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
it must have been written by CA writer.
They're all pretty pathetic..I wonder how they keep a job. I found 5 typos in an article that was 3 short paragraphs long the other day.

Anyways, Elvis Presley Blvd. is still struggling with a lack of funding for infrastructure/ landcaping/ safety/ lighting/ etc. With the federal grant for the Harahan Bridge, this is the second time EP Blvd has taken a back seat to another "newer" project. Hopefully funds will be secured in the near future. I'm happy about the improvements to Overton Square and the Harahan Bridge, but something needs to be done in Whitehaven. Props to Collins I guess for keeping a cool head when questioned about it.

Article from the Daily.
Feds Overlook Elvis Presley Blvd. Work
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2012/jun/21/lead/

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Anyways, Elvis Presley Blvd. is still struggling with a lack of funding for infrastructure/ landcaping/ safety/ lighting/ etc... but something needs to be done in Whitehaven. Props to Collins I guess for keeping a cool head when questioned about it.
Yeah, I was disappointed to hear about that. I think the more stable parts of Whitehaven are on the brink of some really wonderful redevelopment & stability.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 8:59 PM

Very cool pic of a model of Bass Pro inside the Pyramid from an AC Wharton tweet.

There's a 'Big Fish' story behind Bass Pro's Memphis store in The Pyramid
The Commercial Appeal

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...s-memphis-sto/

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Feb 1, 2017 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 9:49 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^^^^Nice find, Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Yeah, I was disappointed to hear about that. I think the more stable parts of Whitehaven are on the brink of some really wonderful redevelopment & stability.
Yeah, I guess it was yesterday or Tuesday that I read an article in either the Daily or MBJ about the redevelopment of the two malls in Whitehaven. I just wish EP Blvd was cleaned up some.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 5:09 AM

why would an entertainment draw that is a proven producer of tourist dollars not be a priority for the city? why would whitehaven have 2 malls? it seems that the triangle of city suburbs of whitehaven, southaven, hornlake, and olive branch would have a solid population core of around 115,000 residents. will people from other parts of memphis proper or the county, east have any interest in shopping down there? i just don't understand the rationale, unless it is just to appease harold collins and willie, but, just like getting the liberty bowl shaped in a record amount of time, something which rarely happens w/ any other memphis projects involving the city, a few key people want, push it through for a particular group, and enough said. regardless, it is bad business. what happened to all of these private funds, stimulus funds, designated funds?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 5:27 AM

40,000 paying visitors a year & looking to double it in 5 years, I'm impressed. Great tourist attraction for the Tupelo Micropolitan Area population: 150,000 and apprx. 35 miles from the Memphis MSA down the soon-to-be designated Interstate 22.

$4.3M Expansion About Complete at Elvis Museum
AP/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
The expansion includes a 120-seat theater where fans can watch films and live performances in a 120-seat theater and an outdoor amphitheater with seating for 75. Rock seats have been installed and will be planted with sod to accommodate people with their own chairs. The theater and other additions are part of phase one of the expansion, which also includes last fall's tripling of on-site parking capacity... The goal of the expansion is to double the visitor count to the birthplace during the next five years. It had about 40,000 paying visitors last year, according to the Tupelo Convention and Visitors Bureau. Phase two includes a larger outdoor amphitheater for at least 700 people and improvements to the overlook.
Information from: Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...-elvis-museum/

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Jun 22, 2012 at 6:07 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 7:20 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
why would an entertainment draw that is a proven producer of tourist dollars not be a priority for the city? why would whitehaven have 2 malls? it seems that the triangle of city suburbs of whitehaven, southaven, hornlake, and olive branch would have a solid population core of around 115,000 residents. will people from other parts of memphis proper or the county, east have any interest in shopping down there? i just don't understand the rationale, unless it is just to appease harold collins and willie, but, just like getting the liberty bowl shaped in a record amount of time, something which rarely happens w/ any other memphis projects involving the city, a few key people want, push it through for a particular group, and enough said. regardless, it is bad business. what happened to all of these private funds, stimulus funds, designated funds?
Those two malls are roughly 45 years old, redeveloping them, or just one would reduce blight, create multiple jobs, and create revenue. If not, you wind up with a Raleigh Springs Mall. Making progress in Whitehaven will take time and money in multiple places. Redevelop a mall, Ep Blvd, and a few other streets and the area automatically will attract new, or better businesses.

The Liberty Bowl needed those renovations 10 years ago. If you're talking about the work that's being done now, a portion of it was paid by FedEx. The U of M needed those renovations (new jumbo trons, new lighting, press box upgrades) for the Big East.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 9:57 PM

A small nod, but the nature of so much great renovation & development Downtown Memphis.

Couple to renovate downtown building
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
A Cordova couple is investing in an 87-year-old Downtown building, turning it into a modern multiuse property. Greg and Katie Vandeven have a contract to purchase the 6,958-square-foot building at 109 Madison for $175,000. They plan to spend at least $300,000 upgrading the ground floor into retail or office space, while converting the second and third floors into residential. Built in 1925, the building has a Gothic Revival facade.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...-building.html

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 10:03 PM

This premium sample includes a pic of the almost-completed West Village dorms development at the prestigious & growing Rhodes College (the highest rated 4-year college in Tennessee by Princeton review?).

Construction firms enjoy 2011 revenue surge, not sure what ‘normal’ is
Memphis Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...1-revenue.html

ALAN HOWELL | MBJ

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Jun 23, 2012 at 6:46 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 10:14 PM

Restaurant group turning Equestria space into Mesquite Chop House
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
River City Management Group LLC has signed a lease for the 8,400-square-foot space at 3165 S. Forest Hill Irene Road. Once it opens, this would be the third Mesquite Chop House for River City Management. The company opened the first one in Southaven Towne Center six years ago and opened its second in Downtown Memphis at 88 Union three years ago.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...equestria.html

ALAN HOWELL | MBJ

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 10:22 PM

Electrolux feeding economy
Contracts for local firms at $64 million; supplier bids up next
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
As Electrolux Home Products’ 700,000-square-foot manufacturing facility gets closer to completion, the company is beginning the process of awarding equipment contracts while planning the search for suppliers. Electrolux North America chief executive Jack Truong told a group at a Greater Memphis Chamber luncheon earlier this month that the company’s goal is to have the facility completed by the end of 2012. On the construction side, all but $4 million of the $80 million in construction contracts has been awarded by general contractor W.G. Yates & Sons Construction. Nearly $64 million of that has been awarded to local companies...
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...g-economy.html

COURTESY ELECTROLUX NORTH AMERICA

Quote:
Aerial view of Electrolux Home Products' manufacturing facility construction at Pidgeon Industrial Park.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 10:35 PM

This article includes a rendering for the soon-to-be under-construction Overton Square parking garage. Also, concept descriptions for the Hattiloo Theatre & other points of interest.

Pair of Memphis architecture firms at heart of Overton Square renovation
Memphis Daily News

Quote:
LRK Inc. is the architect of record for both Loeb Properties Inc.’s $20 million revitalization of the Midtown theater district and also for the city’s parking garage at Monroe Avenue and Florence Street. And archimania is designing Hattiloo Theatre’s new $2.3 million freestanding theater at Cooper Street and Monroe Avenue. LRK planned the “Heart of the Arts” concept for the city in 2005, a study attempting to create a sustainable arts destination with key anchors Playhouse on the Square, Memphis College of Art, Memphis Brooks Museum of Art, The Circuit Playhouse, Rhodes College and Theatreworks.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...-all-together/

(Rendering: Loeb Properties Inc.)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 4:43 AM

Nucor investing $125 million in Blytheville, Ark., expansion
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
Nucor-Yamato Steel Co., a joint venture between Nucor Corp. and Yamato Kogyo Co. Ltd., has revealed a $115 million plan to expand its Blytheville, Ark., facility, located about 70 miles north of Memphis.The project is expected to be complete in 2014.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n....html?page=all

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 3:37 AM

Independent Bank to light up Memphis skyline Saturday
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
On Saturday, the bank will celebrate the lighting of the new logo with a fireworks display, reportedly the first from the rooftop of a Downtown Memphis building. Independent Bank also will hold a party on Mud Island for employees, shareholders, members of the Downtown business community and city and county officials; the celebration will culminate with the fireworks show, set to begin at 9 p.m.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...p-memphis.html

MBJ

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 2:30 AM

i was speaking w/ my brother-in-law a few days back, and the subject of st. jude came up. he is an architect, so he is always interested in what is going on in memphis. he lives in chicago. i was telling him of some of the projects that were under way, some approved, but yet to start, and the ones that had finished. he really likes st. jude's campus, and i happened to mention the price tag of the current project. i referred him to some of the pictures of st. jude, but i don't think there are any that have the radiation building and research facility pictured, as of yet. i described it as a mirror of the building that was finished in 2009, 7 stories and having an atrium, which will actually help connect the latest building to the one existing. he was astonished at the projected cost of 190 million dollars. i told him that it has about 2 levels below ground, and the building was going to contain a special radiology machine, one of only 7 in the world. the foundation of the building looked as if it had a good deal of concrete, for the size of the building, which i think i told him was about 607,000 sq ft. nevertheless, he is interested in seeing the finished product. i'm glad to see st. jude doing so well, 3 million sq ft and growing. that is impressive, and really, memphis has many impressive buildings, institutions, homes, areas, and "firsts" to take pride over.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 6:35 PM

One for Covington Pike Auto Row.

Gossett Motor Cars investing $2.8M to increase Audi inventory
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
The building is on 7.19 acres at 1825 Covington Pike, not too far from Gossett Motor Cars’ headquarters...
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...ng-28m-to.html

ALAN HOWELL | MBJ

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 6:51 PM

...And another for the Wolf River Medical Corridor.

West Clinic moving Breast Center to focus on ‘de-fragmentation’ of care
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
This week, The West Clinic began renovations to an 11,300-square-foot medical suite at 8000 Wolf River Blvd. When finished, the space will harbor one of the oncology services provider’s two Comprehensive Breast Centers.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...center-to.html

ALAN HOWELL | MBJ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations