HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 9:53 PM

These two projects are examples of what I want to see in the area. I really hope they happen.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 2:29 PM

Nice looking proposals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah but if no drive thrus are allowed anywhere, there isn't the risk of competition. IF a new mall opens or new suburb is developed, they're not going to just not go there, that's the thing. It's different when they say "you can't have one on this street" or "in this lot" - then they'll go to another one. But they're not just going to abandon ship if they can't have it at all.
Exactly this. Right now, neighbourhood opposition to drive thrus means nothing gets built on vacant lots like those on Henderson, because the drivethru businesses can just move further up the road. A blanket ban means they can't go anywhere. Sure, they could go to Headingly, or East St. Paul, but then those places bear the negative costs of having drive thrus, and we don't.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 3:45 AM

Hilton Garden Inn Winnipeg South has now been added to the main Hilton site. Not taking reservations yet but opening "September 2017"

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/e...NGI/index.html

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Nice looking proposals.

Exactly this. Right now, neighbourhood opposition to drive thrus means nothing gets built on vacant lots like those on Henderson, because the drivethru businesses can just move further up the road. A blanket ban means they can't go anywhere. Sure, they could go to Headingly, or East St. Paul, but then those places bear the negative costs of having drive thrus, and we don't.
True in principle, but then they will just say "well, let's take half our manitoba budget and put it into everything outside of, but within an hour of Toronto"... the market needs to not only be saturated but competitive at a higher rental rate first.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 8:01 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Hilton Garden Inn Winnipeg South has now been added to the main Hilton site. Not taking reservations yet but opening "September 2017"

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/e...NGI/index.html
It's near the Canada Summer Games, apparently now a permanent institution.

They need to work on their map.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromst.vital View Post
hilton garden inn winnipeg south has now been added to the main hilton site. Not taking reservations yet but opening "september 2017"

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/e...ngi/index.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltonwebsite
stunning city views from all rooms
:p

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:42 PM
Aspiring.

Does this mean that addition is going ahead?

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:51 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Where is it moving to?

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I agree with all your reasoning here, for sure. But I'm skeptical as to what the real impact of not being able to have a drive-thru really would be.
The lot on Henderson @ McLeod that has the Co-op gas bar, DQ and Library is strangely the answer to this exact question. back in the early 90s, before the Tims was built on the site, Taco Bell had proposed to build a location there. The site had a pad site, likely where the Tim's got built later, and had adequate parking, if you included parking behind the strip mall. After much opposition Taco Bell's request was denied. In response they froze all plans for new locations in Winnipeg and to the best of my knowledge haven't opened one since.

Separate from what you think of Taco Bell, the company was on an aggressive expansion plan at the time. If they were willing to walk away from Winnipeg the same might happen with other companies. It is definitely a gamble.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:00 PM
Aspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The lot on Henderson @ McLeod that has the Co-op gas bar, DQ and Library is strangely the answer to this exact question. back in the early 90s, before the Tims was built on the site, Taco Bell had proposed to build a location there. The site had a pad site, likely where the Tim's got built later, and had adequate parking, if you included parking behind the strip mall. After much opposition Taco Bell's request was denied. In response they froze all plans for new locations in Winnipeg and to the best of my knowledge haven't opened one since.

Separate from what you think of Taco Bell, the company was on an aggressive expansion plan at the time. If they were willing to walk away from Winnipeg the same might happen with other companies. It is definitely a gamble.
The Taco Bell/KFC up the street (679 Henderson near Melbourne) opened sometime in the early 2000s didn't it? I recall there was a lot of opposition from the neighbourhood regarding that drive-thru.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

I still don't see what the big problem is. So if we ban drive-thrus maybe some big fast food chains will pass on our market. That leaves space for local businesses to fill the void and keeps more money in the local economy. Isn't it a win-win?

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:53 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
I still don't see what the big problem is. So if we ban drive-thrus maybe some big fast food chains will pass on our market. That leaves space for local businesses to fill the void and keeps more money in the local economy. Isn't it a win-win?
Seems that way to me. No one ever said there was a shortage of restaurants in this city.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:30 PM

Yeah it's not like we're lacking unhealthy, gross fastfood options. Recent additions to the market haven't been drive-thru oriented, anyway.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:37 PM

They will refuse to increase revenue by throwing a tantrum and not opening new locations in the city? That is hilarious!

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
They will refuse to increase revenue by throwing a tantrum and not opening new locations in the city? That is hilarious!
that'll show us.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:02 PM

SO the very people that use the drive thrus are NIMBYS? Obviously people use them.They tend to be people from suburgatory anyways?
I see line ups many places I go so, why the argument against?
In my case, I rarely do because I prefer mid scale family run eateries but when I do go to fast food places, I walk in. I FEEL for whatever calories get burned off, better than none coming off by driving thru.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:43 PM

I will preface this by saying that I pretty much only use a drive-thru if I have to get a starbuck coffee or drink, which is merely ok, rather than something from Parlour or Forth, or Bronuts, etc... yes, self-absorbed coffee asshole here, i know... but I never eat fast food...

I absolutely prefer something local where the kitchen and management TRIES...

That said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
They're not refusing revenue. They'll just take a location slated for Winnipeg and put it in Mississauga and make MORE money.

Why is this a problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Because recognized chains draw OTHER tenants to developments.

Your grandma could make the best homemade pasta and lease up a CRU at development XYZ, but the development needs a huge anchor grocer and Save-On will decline.

"who'd grandma??? Why is there no Tim's??? We need traffice and visitors!!!"

Major tenants draw other major tenants..... so why do we need them?

Winnipeggers are tragically slow to try independently owned/operated things in suburbia. If they weren't, this wouldn't be a problem. Grandma's shop won't get you a Save-On.

And major tenants pay more rent, and are historically more trusted to stay in operation, so the developer gets security and more money. In Winnipeg it's VERY expensive to build so you need that national chain money. If our market were stronger, rents higher, and our residents more adventurous, then maybe we wouldn't need drive-thrus or chains. That would be ideal. Because of the strength of the market, you can pull this off in Toronto. Not here.

I don't like Tim's at all, nor do I care for Jollibee, but it is absolutely brilliant for Northgate to have both. You can bet that helped lock down Save-On. Save-On, obviously, is the trophy of that development and will be hugely instrumental on the developer making more money on EVERY LEASE on the property.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Seems that way to me. No one ever said there was a shortage of restaurants in this city.
There could be more... but we have awesome food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Yeah it's not like we're lacking unhealthy, gross fastfood options. Recent additions to the market haven't been drive-thru oriented, anyway.
But the additions are seldom happening in drive-thru markets, nor are they drive thru products.

Nobody here would rather have more burrito del Rios or Crusty Buns for quick eats than me, but I want our market to be strong. We're not in the bargaining position as our market strength isn't enough leverage to get major restaurant chains to do what we want yet...

Old Posted Today, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I will preface this by saying that I pretty much only use a drive-thru if I have to get a starbuck coffee or drink, which is merely ok, rather than something from Parlour or Forth, or Bronuts, etc... yes, self-absorbed coffee asshole here, i know... but I never eat fast food...

I absolutely prefer something local where the kitchen and management TRIES...

That said...

They're not refusing revenue. They'll just take a location slated for Winnipeg and put it in Mississauga and make MORE money.
As opposed to opening in both markets and make EVEN MORE money?

Old Posted Today, 12:49 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post

Does this mean that addition is going ahead?
I've heard it's taller than the original image and not all glass anymore.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan