HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 6:03 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
DQ burgers USED to be pretty good, but they changed their "recipe" last year and we don't like them as much.
That's a shame. I liked DQ as a kid (they used to give kids meals a token to redeem later for dessert and it felt kinda special ), and later the food became better as an adult in the past say 15 years.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 6:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I've gone through phases where I need a Skor Blizzard once a day, and tried their burgers back when I still ate meat. They were good.

But since Skip the Dishes came on scene (BTW, there's a guy on Grindr locally whose username is Skip the Missus and it kills me every time), I've had to stop. I once hit "Place Order" on a $46 bill to get 6 cookies from Craig's Cookies delivered lol

Can't remember the last time I had proper takeout. I've had junk food downtown, lots of course, but to actually go to a fast food place, or order from there... it's been a while.

Chatting with Ayreonaut on FB, and he shared the new fines for CGY:

And jeddy1989 reminded me how sleazy fast food places here can be, where if you pay with cash, some won't give you a receipt even if you ask I always forget how... developing world... we are with a normal, Canadian facade.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Sep 7, 2023 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 6:46 PM

I wonder if any chains will come to dominate the shawarma market? It feels like up until about a decade ago it was mainly mom and pops but now there are some bigger players like Osmows, Mezza and Paramount (my personal favourite of the chains).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
(BTW, there's a guy on Grindr locally whose username is Skip the Missus and it kills me every time)

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
For whatever reason the Pizza Pizza at the Bud Stage in Toronto hits different. It's something I'll usually grab after pre-drinking and waiting for the show to start since it's easy to carry around on the lawn. I was lulled into a false sense of security and grabbed a slice at a regular Pizza Pizza location late one night and was instantly reminded that it is indeed terrible.
Pizza Pizza at a franchise location =

Pizza Pizza at some sort of music venue / sports stadium.... sometimes just hits the spot It's probably the food I eat most at Ticats games ever since they got rid of Saltlick in the endzone.

It's weird.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 7:10 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder if any chains will come to dominate the shawarma market? It feels like up until about a decade ago it was mainly mom and pops but now there are some bigger players like Osmows, Mezza and Paramount (my personal favourite of the chains).

The Halal Guys just opened in Vancouver, and they're now a worldwide shawarma chain. The local spots are way better though. Better prices too. My favourite in Vancouver is Mediterranean Grill on Denman Street.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post

Pizza Pizza at some sort of music venue / sports stadium.... sometimes just hits the spot It's probably the food I eat most at Ticats games ever since they got rid of Saltlick in the endzone.

It's weird.
I would agree, Pizza Pizza at Canada Life Centre is markedly better than what you get at one of their stores, at least when you're talking pizza by the slice. Is it just fresher with more turnover at the sports venue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
The Halal Guys just opened in Vancouver, and they're now a worldwide shawarma chain. The local spots are way better though. Better prices too. My favourite in Vancouver is Mediterranean Grill on Denman Street.

Interesting, I've heard of that chain but never tried it. I didn't know they were that big. There seem to be a lot of regional chains with 5-25 locations but few really big, dominant players the way that Tim Hortons owns the coffee and donuts segment.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 7:18 PM

Other than very local chains (like, 2 or 3 locations), I try to avoid chains for shawarma.

My longtime favourite in Hamilton is City Shawarma on Rymal, near where I work so it's a pretty frequent lunch choice. He has these curried onions that are a fantastic, as well as pickled beets and pickled cabbage. a lot of places are more limited in their toppings. And the garlic sauce is made in house and sooo good. Plus the guy who runs it is super friendly and you can tell he cares.

Then there's a new place that opened up on King near my house, it's their second location but I've never been to the original. "Shawarma N Grill". Limited in toppings, but the chicken and sauce are delicious.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 8:11 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I don't really get fast food much these days. During the pandemic, I'd be more inclined to McD's, but very occasionaly, and usually for breakfast. Even then....I think I only went ten times or so to McDonalds during the pandemic, and maybe twice this year.

I generally go for Popeyes since it's so close and on the way to work, but once again, only once a month (or more) or so since I'm barely making money nowadays. I had Subway when I was in Hamilton because I was starving, and while it wasn't terrible, it was just, typical subway. I think I had Subway 3 times in the last three years...I just avoid it usually.
I generally cook at home because it's cheaper, and because the local fast food options are either crap or way too pricey to make sense for what they offer.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 8:15 PM
Great White Norf

I love me some shawarma. My current city doesn't have any but nearby St. Catharines has about 15-20 places to get one, including a few chains. My fav local place in St. Kitts was run by a recent Syrian immigrant family. Haven't been since pre pandemic to see if it's still the same.

I just noticed a new to me chain, Sultan's Grill.
They have 5 locations in Toronto, 1 in Waterloo, and 1 in St. Catharines.
Anyone been here?
https://www.sultansgrill.ca/

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 8:22 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Little Caesars is so terrible. I got food poisoning last time I ate one of their substandard pizzas
Jeezus
Hot-N-Ready...with listeria, e. coli, salmonella, campylobacter or combination thereof!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Jeezus
Hot-N-Ready...with listeria, e. coli, salmonella, campylobacter or combination thereof!
How can you say that about the primary source of sustenance for my children?!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 8:37 PM

The worst slice of pizza was at the Pizza Pizza in Saint Isidore just off the 417. Holy Christ it was bad. I had to throw it away after a few bites.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The McGriddle was the one item that I was grossed out at working in the McDs kitchen in high-school.

The folded egg comes pre-frozen, or at least it did 15 years ago when I was working there. From what I remember they are literally microwaved and then put on the sandwich.
They stopped using the folded eggs a couple years ago—at least here in Alberta. Interestingly, about 5 or 6 years ago I signed up for a market research group where if selected you get brought in to test potential new products/offerings, fill out a survey and get paid $50-100 for the hour of your time. I was actually in the group that was tasting McGriddles with different types of eggs. They didn't tell us what was different about each McGriddle we were brought, just to taste them and then fill out the survey. I figured out pretty quickly it was the egg that was different in each one. Anyway, we were told we didn't have to eat the whole thing and could just take a single bite—I ate 5 McGriddles in a row and didn't regret it one bit. LOL

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
The worst slice of pizza was at the Pizza Pizza in Saint Isidore just off the 417. Holy Christ it was bad. I had to throw it away after a few bites.
I've only had Pizza Pizza once when I was a child visiting family in Ontario in the 90s. Pizza 73 was our equivalent here and I know it was sold to Pizza Pizza some time ago. I have no idea how their pizzas compare now, but I find Pizza 73 to be fairly good for what it is and at the very least is extremely consistent quality. The one thing they have that is a game changer for me is sesame seed crust—it's so good.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post

It's weird.
This is true. P.P. can be pretty decent if you know which outlets to patronize and which to avoid like the plague. For instance, I haven't been there for several years, but the one at the Toronto Zoo was downright respectable, after a fashion. Not that one has much choice if one didn't bring a bag lunch.

Fast food in general has become far too expensive. We eat it maybe once a month at most. I'm not paying 50-100 bucks for a sack of grease and plastic.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 9:58 PM
Fake News

Anyone tried South Street Burger before? They cook the burgers fresh. It's expensive but it tastes great and as an added bonus for my family it's celiac friendly. They have separate prep areas for gluten free food.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanYEG View Post
They stopped using the folded eggs a couple years ago—at least here in Alberta. Interestingly, about 5 or 6 years ago I signed up for a market research group where if selected you get brought in to test potential new products/offerings, fill out a survey and get paid $50-100 for the hour of your time. I was actually in the group that was tasting McGriddles with different types of eggs. They didn't tell us what was different about each McGriddle we were brought, just to taste them and then fill out the survey. I figured out pretty quickly it was the egg that was different in each one. Anyway, we were told we didn't have to eat the whole thing and could just take a single bite—I ate 5 McGriddles in a row and didn't regret it one bit. LOL
Lol, that’s awesome. Sampling all those delicious McGriddles. The perfect blend of savoury and sweet. I would have been in heaven!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Anyone tried South Street Burger before? They cook the burgers fresh. It's expensive but it tastes great and as an added bonus for my family it's celiac friendly. They have separate prep areas for gluten free food.
It's definitely good, but I don't know if I'd consider it *fast* food.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 11:35 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
How can you say that about the primary source of sustenance for my children?!
Hey, I've never gotten food poisoning from Little Caesars. Besides poking fun at you and by association your wife, I just recommended the deep dish pizza if you're going to go the LC route. But that defeats the purpose of feeding kids on the cheap.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 11:38 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
That's great that you're now able to find GF fast food or fast casual options for your fam

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada