HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 3:42 PM

Grand opening March 29/30th. Currently registering appointments for tours of model and pricing/info.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 12:56 PM
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteotown View Post
Grand opening March 29/30th. Currently registering appointments for tours of model and pricing/info.
March 27th if you are a previous Urban Capital purchaser

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:40 PM

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 3:27 PM

Has anyone heard any information regarding 'expected' date of completion? I am interested in looking at a condo in the next year, and it sounds like I've missed the ideal time to buy at Mondrian - now prices are high, with not much left - while I am assuming the Central project won't be completed for another 2+ years?!?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 4:05 PM
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteotown View Post
Has anyone heard any information regarding 'expected' date of completion? I am interested in looking at a condo in the next year, and it sounds like I've missed the ideal time to buy at Mondrian - now prices are high, with not much left - while I am assuming the Central project won't be completed for another 2+ years?!?
Make that 3 years They only start building at 70 percent sold

Last edited by Danman; Mar 14, 2008 at 4:06 PM. Reason: Add

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 11:07 PM

was in my snail mail yesterday...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 6:20 PM

I'll be there on the 27th if I can. I have at least one friend who is very interested in purchasing a unit in this project. As for myself, I bought into Mondrian about half-way through sales and I couldn't imagine waiting even longer I will be for this one.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 1:24 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

The rendering suggests that they've learned from their East Market experience when it comes to mixed use. One of east Market's failings is that the ground-floor retail should in fact be as tall as the first two storeys - it is too low and the building (especially phase III) looks as if it's sqatting on its retail. (I'd be interested in seeing whether someone, one day, will buy the second-floor corner unit in Phase III, drill a hole in the concrete, put a staircase in and have a nice two-level store in the corner with extra windows).

Central looks like it has an appropriately higher ground level. Good.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
The rendering suggests that they've learned from their East Market experience when it comes to mixed use. One of east Market's failings is that the ground-floor retail should in fact be as tall as the first two storeys - it is too low and the building (especially phase III) looks as if it's sqatting on its retail. (I'd be interested in seeing whether someone, one day, will buy the second-floor corner unit in Phase III, drill a hole in the concrete, put a staircase in and have a nice two-level store in the corner with extra windows).

Central looks like it has an appropriately higher ground level. Good.
Hey! I'm not selling my unit yet. Unless you really make me a good offer! What are they building anyways, at the shafali place.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 5:26 PM
you know my steez

Not sure if word of this has gotten around, but LACAC recommended that committee and council reject approval for the demo work for this project.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez View Post
Not sure if word of this has gotten around, but LACAC recommended that committee and council reject approval for the demo work for this project.
Read: more money spent fighting appeal at the OMB over a project that fits the city's policy of intensification but gets rejected for dubious reasons. It really is a miracle ANYTHING gets built south of Gloucester St.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 2:12 AM
National Capital Region

here are the neighbourhood comments for this development...
Quote:

COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION COMMENTS
Centretown Citizens’ Community Association (CCCA)

At a meeting on November 20, 2007 the developer made a presentation regarding the proposal. A motion was passed which states that the CCCA does not support any building on this site higher than the current zoning permits. The CCCA is not opposed to development in Centretown; however it should be appropriate to the area and must respect existing zoning by‑laws.

While height was a key issue in the discussion, other comments related to inappropriate building materials, unsuccessful integration of the façade of the church, no appreciable landscaping and lack of parking

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
here are the neighbourhood comments for this development...
For an anchor corner in centretown this is not a tall building!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 3:35 AM

Solution? Re-evaluate the current zoning by-laws for development along major thoroughfares like Bank and Rideau and Wellington and Carling and the Vanier Parkway and ... you get the picture. It baffles me what people have in mind when they agree in principle with intensification and then turn down a 9-storey building on Bank Street. [insert profanity here]

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:05 AM

Quote:
unsuccessful integration of the façade of the church
Amen. I don't at all understand why they are trying to save that hideous facade. It's fucking ugly as sin and looks completely out of place compared to the rest of the building. Just tear the whole thing down, I really don't see the "historic" value of the facade.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:38 AM

Double amen. Why they wanted to integrate that warehouse of a church into their building is beyond me. That thing needs to be integrated with the ground.

The CCCA is losing all credibility by opposing stuff like this. They're like a condo board that only knows how to enforce the rulebook. The fact that Gladstone and Bank is a wasteland doesn't even enter into their calculations: all that matters is that the height limits are adhered to.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 11:02 AM

How many of us actually should be members of the CCCA, in a more vocal manner?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
How many of us actually should be members of the CCCA, in a more vocal manner?
I really hope that the city will wake up, after losing all the appeals at the OMB. I would definitely take part of any meeting, but I'm not part of centretown.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Hey! I'm not selling my unit yet. Unless you really make me a good offer! What are they building anyways, at the shafali place.
The Shafali place is going to become a café. This is great news!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 7:49 PM

HI everyone,

I am new to this whole Condo thing in Ottawa, but renting is terrible for long term and new developments seems to increased 10%-15% from opening to move in date. I currently work at riverside and hunt club, and I'm looking for a 1 bedroom or 1 bedroom + den. The Central condo seems like a great investment as the neighborhoods around this area are getting better.

I am attending this opening party on Saturday. Does anyone have any pricing info so far ( i know the 134K for shoebox im assuming).

Any other upcoming projects that would be worth while (willing to spend 150-280 with parking and storage).

Thanks for you posts in advance!

-MJetR

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa