HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 11:30 PM
BANNED

I think the new coach of the Broncos has lost his "grace period" by losing Cuttler. If the Broncos suck this year you will see many calling for a new coach, I will be one of them!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 11:47 PM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of The Park View Post
Why give up a first rounder for Quinn, when you could probably get him for a second and Scheffler? (who they are shopping)
Scheffler is a huge part of their offense and success on offense. he is one of the better receiving tight Ends on the rise in the NFL and he is more than adequate at blocking as well. No need to dismantle the 2nd best offense in the NFL. Brady Quinn is well worth the 22nd Overall Pick. He has as much if not more potential than Cutler.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 4:12 AM

I agree with Snyder about Scheffler, but the "new" system that McDaniels is installing does not take use passing tight ends, so he is thus on the market.

Here is what pisses me off about the Broncos: The offense last year was fine. Sure, running backs couldn't stay healthy and Marshall was in trouble or whatever. But there could be no argument that defense was the problem. So why can Shannahan just to bring in a new model offensive genius who, in trading Cutler just ruined the one good thing the Broncos had going for them: The offense. I would have much rather Denver go a D-minded coach who would have cleaned house at that end of the field and kept his hands off the offense.

Um... The Nuggets clinched the division tonight and JR Smith hit 11 three pointers for a new franchise record. Man, you know things are rough in Denver sports when the Nuggets are your best hope at getting a championship any time soon.

*sigh*

"I should be floating but I'm weighted by thinking"

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 6:04 AM
no its not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
Scheffler is a huge part of their offense and success on offense. he is one of the better receiving tight Ends on the rise in the NFL and he is more than adequate at blocking as well. No need to dismantle the 2nd best offense in the NFL. Brady Quinn is well worth the 22nd Overall Pick. He has as much if not more potential than Cutler.

I think it is a huge mistake that they are shopping Scheffler and Hillis....two of the best talent and big heart guys on the team. I'm not downplaying Brady Quinn's ability, but making the point that it might be possible to get him for less. Comparing his potential to Cutler.....I think is a reach.

I haven't been happy or exited about the Broncos new approach as I have always found the New England style of mechanical offense a bit boring. I'm not going to jump off the bandwagon just yet. It will be interesting to see what the Broncos do with their choices. I pray they can get Quinn as opposed to using both of their first round choices to move up to get one of the pretty average quarterbacks available this coming draft.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 1:24 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilsaz View Post
I agree with Snyder about Scheffler, but the "new" system that McDaniels is installing does not take use passing tight ends, so he is thus on the market.

Here is what pisses me off about the Broncos: The offense last year was fine. Sure, running backs couldn't stay healthy and Marshall was in trouble or whatever. But there could be no argument that defense was the problem. So why can Shannahan just to bring in a new model offensive genius who, in trading Cutler just ruined the one good thing the Broncos had going for them: The offense. I would have much rather Denver go a D-minded coach who would have cleaned house at that end of the field and kept his hands off the offense.

Um... The Nuggets clinched the division tonight and JR Smith hit 11 three pointers for a new franchise record. Man, you know things are rough in Denver sports when the Nuggets are your best hope at getting a championship any time soon.

*sigh*
I wouldn't downplay the Nuggets so quickly, bud... They've looked damn good most of the season, and in fact have been one of the most consistent teams in the NBA the last 5 or 6 years. Their weakness has been in the playoffs, but this might change now given the team chemistry right now, and the fact it seems a different person rises to the occasion and becomes the star every game!

Still going to be tough against the Lakers, but I don't think they'll have a problem in their first round or two...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 11:44 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
^ I agree with you 100% Glowtree.

The Nuggets may have a decent chance at getting somewhere in the Playoffs this Season, all a team needs is a chance and it's up to them where they take it!!!

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 12:45 AM
BANNED

If they do they are the only team....

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 12:51 AM
Robotic Construction

Dallas Mavericks are the only other team to make the playoffs the last 5 season along with the Nuggets. However, Dallas seems to be going downward, whilst Denver is on the up and up.

San Antonio and Phoenix are a couple teams which have been as consistent as Denver in the regular season, over the last 3-4 seasons, but Phoenix missed the playoffs and Tim Duncan is getting old, Manu is out for season and a couple key role players have retired. Like I said, Denver is young and on the up and up...

I said trading Camby made Denver better, because Camby is poor at primary defense (one-on-one and defensive rotations), but tops at secondary defense and also that Camby was getting old and was inhury prone and had run his healthy streak about as long as it could go. Nene is the opposite, better at primary defense, but weaker at secondary defense than Camby (yet still proficient). Furthermore, Nene is a post presence on offense and defense, Camby is most definitely not and as I predicted, Camby had an injury filled season.

ESPN broke down player efficiency numbers and while no one wants to acknowledge it, the numbers suggest Nene has had more than three times the positive impact on the Nuggets than Chauncey Billups has. I found this very interesting. It appears Billups gets a lot of the credit (as he should, because his numbers show he too has made this team better), but a healthy Nene in the starting lineup may in fact be the true key to Denver's success.

There is no doubt that a healthy Kenyon Martin has impacted the defense immensely. many consider K-mart to be a top 3 defensive PF in the NBA when healthy (as he is now). He is also adequate on offense.

However, I was also ridiculed for calling JR Smith Denver's Poor man's Kobe Bryant. Yet, that is exactly what he has emerged as this season (particularly the 2nd half). He is like a cross between Manu and Kobe. He is Denver's x-factor. JR Smith can singlehandedly take charge of any game and shoot his team to a win. I mean, he scores nearly twice as many points per minute played, wen his teams asks him to save them. That is absolutely special.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 1:17 AM

Stafford has all the arm, only with better mechanics, then Capt. Interception. I also believe Mark Sanchez has all the skills, both mental( something Cupcake was missing) & physical to be an elite quarterback. These two are hardly average. I think Sanchez is a perfect fit for the Broncos.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 6:44 AM

Denver Broncos regular season schedule, cut and pasted from the Denver Post:
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_12141728

Sunday, Sept. 13 ... at Cincinnati ... 11 a.m. (CBS)
Sunday, Sept. 20 ... CLEVELAND ... 2:15 p.m. (CBS)
Sunday, Sept. 27 ... at Oakland ... 2:15 p.m. (CBS)
Sunday, Oct. 4 ... DALLAS ... 2:15 p.m. (FOX)
Sunday, Oct. 11 ... NEW ENGLAND ... 2:15 p.m. (CBS)
Monday, Oct. 19 ... at San Diego ... 6:30 p.m. (ESPN)
Sunday, Oct. 25 ... BYE
Sunday, Nov. 1 ... at Baltimore ... 11 a.m. (CBS)
Monday, Nov. 9 ... PITTSBURGH ... 6:30 p.m. (ESPN)
Sunday, Nov. 15 ... at Washington ... 11 a.m. (CBS)
Sunday, Nov. 22 ... SAN DIEGO ... 2:15 p.m. (CBS)
Thursday, Nov. 26 ... N.Y. GIANTS ... 6:20 p.m. (NFLN)
Sunday, Dec. 6 ... at Kansas City ... 11 a.m. (CBS)
Sunday, Dec. 13 ... at Indianapolis ... 11 a.m. (CBS)
Sunday, Dec. 20 ... OAKLAND ... 2:05 p.m. (CBS)
Sunday, Dec. 27 ... at Philadelphia ... 11 a.m. (CBS)
Sunday, Jan. 3 ... KANSAS CITY ... 2:15 p.m. (CBS)

I predict 6-10. Even with an upgrade at the QB position.

Oh, I didn't mean for a second to sound like I was pooh-poohing the Nuggets. I'm a huge fan. I was only commenting that the Nuggets doing so well is quite the turnaround when the Nugs were woeful, the Broncos were winning Super Bowls, the Avs going deep into the playoffs, and I was getting maced in the face by the police downtown.

I will say, though, that I am happy that Utah finished No. 8 so that it will be the Lakers facing the Jazz in round one over the Nuggets.

I don't think Denver can beat LA. They just don't match up well. But I think LA is beatable by Portland or even the well-coached Jazz. The Nuggets may make a surprising run.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 4:10 PM

The Nuggets are getting ready for the Plyaoffs, I honestly think we will win the first round, maybe even the second. I think it would be nice if Denver went all the way, but I don't think Denver can handle LA or Cleaveland.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 6:58 PM

Denva Thuggets are hot as a Pistol!

HOLY SMOKES the Nuggets made NBA History last night! Won by 58 on the Road!!!

No other team has done anything like this in decades, and no other team has won by as many on the Road! At home yes it's a tie but on the road no. I have been watching the playoffs and Denver truly seems to be the most well rounded team right now, you don't know who is going to be hot who will come off the bench and score 10-15-20 pts it's crazy the hustle and flow of the Nuggets right now is really fun to watch and I'm happy to be a fan. Maybe this will be our year!?

And on the other hand watching the Lakers and Spazz, I'm not too worried about LA they have odum and kobe that's about it, fisher is ok, the Nuggets bench is deep and they are ranked at 50% or #1 in the Playoffs right now for 3 pointers. It seems like every game they get better!!! WATCH OUT CAUSE I THINK THE NUGGETS WILL BE THE UPSET to the CAVALIERS!!!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:15 PM
Robotic Construction

Well, Denver proved they can shut down teams offensively with what? the second best Field Goal % allowed in the western conference this season. The game they won against the Lakers, they held the Lakers to the 2nd lowest field goal % in a game, in Lakers team history. The only time the Lakers were held to a lower single game field goal % was when they were known as the Minnesota Lakers--decades ago.

So yeah, they still run a fast pace of game. But when pace of game factor is calculated in, Denver has one of the NBA's top rated all around defenses. Their offense is as deep or deeper than any team out there. Their chemistry I believe to be unmatched, except perhaps with Cleveland.

That being said, the Nuggets are posting a lot of records this season, that have been untouched since the 1950's, 60's & 70's. That should be an indicator that they may still be a little under the radar, going a little too unnoticed for just how big they are. Sure, their radar blimp started as a bee, grew to a sparrow with the Billups trade. Now they look like an F-16 on radar, bigger, more dangerous. Heads up though, because they are really a B-2 Stealth Bomber headed straight for any team in their way!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:38 PM

I am actually finding myselve rooting for the Nugs, ow that the Jazz are done. Although the Hornets are the worst team to make the playoffs essentially. I think Denver has a decent chance against LA. Anybody but LA please.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 9:49 PM

It's great to see the Nuggets finally making some noise in the playoffs. Getting off to a fast start at home by dominating the Hornets in both games really got their confidence soaring. That's exactly what they needed because no matter how well they played sown the stretch or how much better they are defensively this year, they still had it in the backs of their minds that they hadn't gotten out of the first round in forever. There had to be anxiety and doubt about getting bounced in round one again. But now they are playing with such confidence that the sky's the limit. And after the comeback and near-win in game 3, and last night's dismantling, you gotta believe there isn't a team left in the playoffs (including the Lakers and the Cavs) that aren't looking at Denver saying, "We don't want ANY of that sh*t!!"
If they continue to play with the intensity and heart they've played with so far, I think they have a chance to win it all. I never would have said that before these playoffs started but there's definitely something really special about this team.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 9:54 PM
no its not...

A secret report has just turned up....

Bill Belichick is a genius. His minion, new Bronco Head Coach Beedy Eye McDaniel "The Kid" is in reality a plant. Belchick put a microscopic microphone in owner Bowlen's ear at the last NFL meetings prior to hiring a new coach...It kept saying the name "Josh McDaniel"...

The rest is history...the Cutler trade, the terrible draft choices. All planned by Bill Belichich to take down one of his opponents...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 10:42 PM

I am happy to see the Nuggets win and everything. But there was something disturbing about JR Smith and LK chucking up threes with a 45-point+ lead.

I do not like JR Smith.

But I am not about to argue with his hot hand and the "one-man-comeback" label.

Kenyon Martin does not get enough of the props that he deserves, though. He is every bit the seasoned leader that Billups is and is the team's inside defensive soul.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 10:52 PM
BANNED

yeah...we are looking good....Kmart really dogged West in every game and it's been incredible...ok...keys to making it through round 2:

- no fadeaway shots. our % goes way up when the guys take jump shots.
- play hard: body people out and dunk the damn ball
- birdman: stick to your role and no outside jumpers
- stick with defense and the offense will come even easier
- melo should lead the league in assists as much as he is 2x and 3x teamed

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 12:02 PM
Robotic Construction

JR Smith and LK really didn't do much of any damage and didn't take many bad shots with a 45 point lead. I think your bias against JR Smith has clouded your mind. the Nuggets controlled the pace of the game, ran down the shot clock, had great ball movement and then fired a shot. You actually have to take a shot or it is a shot clock violation. JR and LK finished with what? 18 and 15 points each? Come on man, they did well, get off their backs.

As for the comment about the Broncos and their bad picks. Not sure what that's about? The Broncos had on of the top 5 drafts this season. they essentially got three 1st Round players, two 2nd Round players, two 3rd Round players, two 4th Rounders and a damn good QB in the 5th Round.

Knowshone Moreno is who I actually had picked as the Broncos 1st Round, 18th Overall Pick. I am not surprised one bit they took him at 12th Overall, because it was very likely he was going to be gone by the 18th. He is the best RB in the draft and in my opinion, a future star and likely rookie of the year.

Lets face it, they have to have a running back, to control the clock and give their defense more rest, so they don't wear out so much. You want to know what kind of guy Knowshone is, think of Darrent Williams (RIP) and Troy Tulowkitski. Knowshone is a leader, a highly talented and well rounded player and he will stay out of trouble off the field. he is Denver's missing piece on offense and will take pressure off both Kile Orton (or who ever the QB is) and also take pressure off and help keep rested their defense.

Ayres is going to join Jarvis Moss as too perfect DE/LB hybrids in the new 3-4 defense. Moss and Ayres will be the OLB'ers and provide perhaps the most lethal QB attack in football. Especially when you throw Elvis Dumervil into the mix. I don't think you guys are thinking about just how dangerous a LB'er corp built around DJ Williams, Jarvis Moss, Elvis Dumervil and Michael Ayres is going to be. Add Nate Webster and Boss Bailey into the rotation for better option in run defense or coverage defense and the LB'er corp is suddenly very versatile from one down to the next and deep in case of injury.

Now you add in teh top CB of the draft, Alphonso should have been picked between 20th and 25th Overall and somehow slipped to 5th pick of the 2nd Round, where Denver traded a low 1st Rounder next year, to get this low 1st Round talent this season. This move was brilliant. If Champ Bailey is healthy, this CB duo will be amazing.

They also drafted a hard hitting, good value safety for that place in the drat in the 4th Round. a couple good safeties really rounds off their secondary nicely. They really needed someone to fill teh void left by John Lynch and compliment Dawson.

Oh, and a great blocking TE will help add depth behind Daniel Graham so they can keep a quality blocking TE on the field and possibly two at the same time, to help sustain the run and keep the defense on the bench, Resting!

So this draft was all about Defense. Even the two offensive picks, were to help the defense in the sense of better clock management and field position, so the defense can work more efficiently and with less pressure on them. The best defense, is a good offense, this is so very true. Not a high scoring, reckless offense. A good, efficient and smart offense makes the best defenses.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
JR Smith and LK really didn't do much of any damage and didn't take many bad shots with a 45 point lead. I think your bias against JR Smith has clouded your mind. the Nuggets controlled the pace of the game, ran down the shot clock, had great ball movement and then fired a shot. You actually have to take a shot or it is a shot clock violation. JR and LK finished with what? 18 and 15 points each? Come on man, they did well, get off their backs.

As for the comment about the Broncos and their bad picks. Not sure what that's about? The Broncos had on of the top 5 drafts this season. they essentially got three 1st Round players, two 2nd Round players, two 3rd Round players, two 4th Rounders and a damn good QB in the 5th Round.

Knowshone Moreno is who I actually had picked as the Broncos 1st Round, 18th Overall Pick. I am not surprised one bit they took him at 12th Overall, because it was very likely he was going to be gone by the 18th. He is the best RB in the draft and in my opinion, a future star and likely rookie of the year.

Lets face it, they have to have a running back, to control the clock and give their defense more rest, so they don't wear out so much. You want to know what kind of guy Knowshone is, think of Darrent Williams (RIP) and Troy Tulowkitski. Knowshone is a leader, a highly talented and well rounded player and he will stay out of trouble off the field. he is Denver's missing piece on offense and will take pressure off both Kile Orton (or who ever the QB is) and also take pressure off and help keep rested their defense.

Ayres is going to join Jarvis Moss as too perfect DE/LB hybrids in the new 3-4 defense. Moss and Ayres will be the OLB'ers and provide perhaps the most lethal QB attack in football. Especially when you throw Elvis Dumervil into the mix. I don't think you guys are thinking about just how dangerous a LB'er corp built around DJ Williams, Jarvis Moss, Elvis Dumervil and Michael Ayres is going to be. Add Nate Webster and Boss Bailey into the rotation for better option in run defense or coverage defense and the LB'er corp is suddenly very versatile from one down to the next and deep in case of injury.

Now you add in teh top CB of the draft, Alphonso should have been picked between 20th and 25th Overall and somehow slipped to 5th pick of the 2nd Round, where Denver traded a low 1st Rounder next year, to get this low 1st Round talent this season. This move was brilliant. If Champ Bailey is healthy, this CB duo will be amazing.

They also drafted a hard hitting, good value safety for that place in the drat in the 4th Round. a couple good safeties really rounds off their secondary nicely. They really needed someone to fill teh void left by John Lynch and compliment Dawson.

Oh, and a great blocking TE will help add depth behind Daniel Graham so they can keep a quality blocking TE on the field and possibly two at the same time, to help sustain the run and keep the defense on the bench, Resting!

So this draft was all about Defense. Even the two offensive picks, were to help the defense in the sense of better clock management and field position, so the defense can work more efficiently and with less pressure on them. The best defense, is a good offense, this is so very true. Not a high scoring, reckless offense. A good, efficient and smart offense makes the best defenses.
Good post! Ball control is key to a good defense as the NY giants of 92 knew this and other well known defenses that I can recall. I am thrilled the broncos will return to an offense oriented team with the spread. Orton cannot do it alone as we know and knownshon will certainly have a big impact right away. Many folks just dont seem to understand that a RB can have a high impact with a team whereas a DE pick would have very little impact. RB's run the ball, catch, block for the QB etc. A DE would if real good stop the run on one side and add some pass rush -this isn't much of a game changer for our beloved broncos.

And lest not forget Anrda Davis at LB! This man had 207 tackles two years ago and 143 tackles last year. He is a tackling animal! Our LB core is better than many realize!

And for all you Jay cutler fans get over it! The guy really wasnt that great of a QB. His leadership skills were poor and his QB rating never surpassed 86. The guy is an ok QB with character flaws. And with a 25TD to 18 INT ratio last year he's highly overated. We now got great picks like Smith, Knwonshown, Bruton, and Mcbath, Ayers who are good guys and team players. Football is a team sport! Jay Cutler is a one man show and IMO not that great of a one.

Go Broncos!!!

Last edited by DENVER 2012; Apr 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West