HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 3:06 PM

I don't have very detailed info for you, but I know the towers used a large basement chiller plant which used water from the Hudson. I've got some blue-prints which show where the chiller plant was located. This space was largely destroyed during the collapse of the towers.

Click to view full size.

Also, check this video out:
Video Link

Last edited by drumz0rz; Sep 20, 2016 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 8:53 PM

Thanks for that but it's saying video unavailable?

They should have stuck with the cooling solution of the river water for the new tower instead of just the public areas it's a massive saving on electric not having to cool that water so much.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 9:08 PM

Fixed the video link.

I'm not really sure why they chose to scale back the central chiller plant in the new complex. They did rebuild one that utilized the Hudson river, but it only cools the underground spaces, such as the 9/11 Museum, PATH, and Westfield mall. I'd imagine they chose to have the buildings handle their own cooling needs for a few reasons, namely underground space is limited and the designs / plans for the new towers was not finalized, and therefore it would have been difficult to design the plant which was needed sooner for the museum. Also, the river gets pretty warm in the summer, so mechanical cooling is required. I think in the end, they chose to downside the chiller plant and rely more heavily on "energy efficient" mechanical cooling.

Here's some information on the new plant. (pdf). Here's another.

I found more info on the original chiller plant for you. The original plant consisted of 7, 7000 ton centrifuges, and 2, 2500 ton units. After the 1993 bombing, a second plant was added which houses 5, 2500 ton units for a total capacity of 64,000 tons. The new plant only has a capacity of 20,000 tons. Check pages 8-13 (pdf).

Last edited by drumz0rz; Sep 20, 2016 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Fixed the video link.

I'm not really sure why they chose to scale back the central chiller plant in the new complex. They did rebuild one that utilized the Hudson river, but it only cools the underground spaces, such as the 9/11 Museum, PATH, and Westfield mall. I'd imagine they chose to have the buildings handle their own cooling needs for a few reasons, namely underground space is limited and the designs / plans for the new towers was not finalized, and therefore it would have been difficult to design the plant which was needed sooner for the museum.

Here's some information on the new plant. (pdf)
Video still not working maybe it's cos I am in the U.K.?

I know why they scaled it back - it's because the more water they suck through the more fish and eggs can be damaged and stick against the filters.

Read an article on it.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 5:18 PM

So the environmentalists got their hands in the pie? Makes sense. Sorry the video won't play. It's titled "WTC: Operations-Control Center/Refrigeration Plan/Elevators/Power Supply/Window Washing" uploaded by WTCClips and is 11:01 long. Maybe you can find it on google.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 9:43 PM

Here's the article for those interested

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...e-center/?_r=0

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 8:03 PM

Thumbs up Help - looking for image

Hi everyone,
I'm seeking a particular image of the WTC towers. I'll do my best do describe it -

The photo is of a person, a woman maybe, in an indoor swimming pool. The pool appears to be inside a skyscraper. The sun is setting and you can see the WTC towers off in the distance, but they are quite a prominent feature.

I'm desperate to find this photograph and I'm pretty sure I've seen it somewhere in one of skyscraper pages threads.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! =)

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 8:34 PM

^^^^My guess is the image you seek is in this actual thread. I recall a section where the twin towers were featured in movies over the years. There are numerous still photos there.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 10:41 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 11:03 PM
Is That LEGO?

For those aficionados of the twin towers, Les Robertson's book comes out in April. The table of contents lists a 58 page section devoted to the WTC.

Last edited by jsr; Mar 18, 2017 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 5:53 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 5:56 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

prez ford

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 11:11 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

patrick ewing

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 3:20 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 5:04 PM

This is really nostalgic, from 1993. Did you know that high definition was available in VHS tape format in the early 90's? Though expensive, the tech was already in existence then.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 5:05 PM

Here's the link to the video, seems that this video cannot be embedded here on the forum,

https://youtu.be/fT4lDU-QLUY

By the way, lots of good footage from the original Trade Center and angle views of Tobin Plaza

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlinmac001 View Post
Here's the link to the video, seems that this video cannot be embedded here on the forum,

https://youtu.be/fT4lDU-QLUY

By the way, lots of good footage from the original Trade Center and angle views of Tobin Plaza
This video is a great reminder of perhaps the most magical aspect of the Twins: the aluminum alloy cladding that made them reflect the sunlight and change color throughout the day. (Yamasaki's Federal Reserve Tower in Richmond catches the light in a similar way). It's this aspect that elevated the Twins above "dumb boxes." They functioned, in fact, as a minimalist sculpture on a massive level.

I'm sorry to say that the current building does not have the same kind of power for me.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:34 AM
An Optimistic Realist

They were truly the symbol of an era. They represented New York and America in the late 20th century.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 1:24 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 1:26 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture