HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:30 PM

I think we can expect a Whole Foods announcement pretty soon. The National Post reported October 12 that Whole Foods is looking to open in Alberta soon. Calgary would be the obvious first choice unless they have trouble securing a location / permits. The Mount Royal (16 Av / 8 St) location may prove difficult with permitting. They may opt for East Beltline or Marda Loop. In the mean time, they might just end up acquiring an independent grocer, like they did in Vancouver, if they want to get into the market sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:50 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kora View Post
I think we can expect a Whole Foods announcement pretty soon. The National Post reported October 12 that Whole Foods is looking to open in Alberta soon. Calgary would be the obvious first choice unless they have trouble securing a location / permits. The Mount Royal (16 Av / 8 St) location may prove difficult with permitting. They may opt for East Beltline or Marda Loop. In the mean time, they might just end up acquiring an independent grocer, like they did in Vancouver, if they want to get into the market sooner rather than later.
Why do you think this would be?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 6:14 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Especially since, as was reported in today's Metro, The Globe might be closing at the end of next month
Good grief.

There is an update in the Herald, but still, not sounding good.
Is there really not enough people in this city to see art house films and documentaries on 3 screens? (Globe + Plaza)

http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...664/story.html

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 6:15 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Something to fill in that vacant corner at 33rd and 20th in Marda Loop would be nice, but it would be even nicer if it was near transit. What are the odds it would end up at some power centre far from the innercity?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Why do you think this would be?
The Mount Royal location is less than ideal from a Transportation angle. My personal take is that the City is too concerned with causing congestion, when they should just let it happen. So what if traffic is backed up? It's a sign of success and it will encourage some people to travel there by walking or transit, who may otherwise drive.

Another outside option is the Chinook area. Everyone wants to be there.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 6:32 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
The Mount Royal location is less than ideal from a Transportation angle. My personal take is that the City is too concerned with causing congestion, when they should just let it happen. So what if traffic is backed up? It's a sign of success and it will encourage some people to travel there by walking or transit, who may otherwise drive.

Another outside option is the Chinook area. Everyone wants to be there.
I agree. Cities should be bending over backwards to encourage urban grocers, especially in a location in the Beltline. I think submitting a TIA for something like this is completely unnecessary, unless it is just used to adjust signal timing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 6:51 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Anyone know when the 17th ave SE No Frills is set to open? (maybe it is?)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 8:06 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I haven't been there but Merv's No Frills - 4501 17th Ave SE has been open for months. I know this because my biz partner's sister shops there. It's open 9am-10pm everyday. get yo' frugal shop on! In Ontario, No Frills are quite popular. I was excited when the Temple location opened up lol but haven't been lately.

Last edited by Wigs; Oct 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 5:53 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Especially since, as was reported in today's Metro, The Globe might be closing at the end of next month
Today's Herald said they aren't closing, just negotiating a new lease with their landlord, Riley's Repro next door.
I say Metro isn't a real newspaper with real news!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 3:29 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

We need some pics of the Best Buy being open (Both the block and maybe some inside

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 3:40 AM
Near Generational

Quote:
We need some pics of the Best Buy being open (Both the block and maybe some inside
I was there today. It's a really weird space with a huge column in the middle that really breaks up the store.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 2:48 AM
not a NIMBY

Bite Groceteria is hoping to be open in the Atlantic Avenue Art Block by December. It looks like quite a big space so I'm looking forward to this.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 5:36 AM
Realtor

Quote:
It opened in August.

Also the Sobeys at 17 Ave and 52 St SE is 24hrs. Not sure how many other stores are 24hrs in Calgary.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 5:44 PM

hotcanadadeals.ca

redflagdeals.com

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 5:42 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Bite Groceteria is hoping to be open in the Atlantic Avenue Art Block by December. It looks like quite a big space so I'm looking forward to this.
HUGE changes for Bite. The space will be four times what it is now, with a bistro on site.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
It opened in August.

Also the Sobeys at 17 Ave and 52 St SE is 24hrs. Not sure how many other stores are 24hrs in Calgary.
Coventry Hills one is too.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 7:27 PM

Airdrie's 24 hour Sobeys was shortlived and returned to regular hours after only a few months. Will remain to be seen how long the SE Sobeys remains at 24 hours!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Airdrie's 24 hour Sobeys was shortlived and returned to regular hours after only a few months. Will remain to be seen how long the SE Sobeys remains at 24 hours!
I'm sure it will be fine. Calgary has a lot more traffic than Airdrie. Seems the one in Coventry Hills is doing fine as 24hr.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 5:35 AM
BANNED

Though the restaurant/coffee/specialty food scene continues to take off across the inner-city, i'd like to see more variety in retail offerings in certain areas outside of the CBD.

The areas around 17th ave, Bankview/LMR/Mission/South-Beltline, are already the densest in the city, and with multiple towers being built directly north to 17th ave, and more low-rise developments to the south of the strip, what's the next step for this area?

Do you guys think 17th ave will evolve into a major shopping district with the addition of a critical mass of clothing and other retail offerings such as Banana Republic, Zara, G-Star, Apple, additional independent clothing retailers, smaller department stores etc??

The only other areas outside the CBD that i think can handle a critical mass of clothing retailers would be Victoria Park, 11th ave, or East-Village, but these areas are likely years away from becoming big shopping districts.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 5:19 PM

Heard today from an employee that David's Tea is set to open in Market Mall (where Spare Parts used to be, Spare Part is relocating to another place within the Mall), and another David's Tea location will open on Stephen Ave.

I was dissapointed when Teavana bought out Teaopia so this will be an interesting change. I personally can't stand Teavana's high priced ($4+/cup) bastardized tea drinks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy