HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 6:58 AM
Youth of a Nation

Did anyone here take a look at the migration for Saskatchewan? If you look closely main reason they're growing... A. More births then Deaths. B. Alberta.

Anyone who knows anything about Saskatchewan and Alberta is they share population!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 7:12 AM

^ I can't argue with that. Although, doesn't this suggest otherwise?
Taken from the Star Phoenix

"Saskatchewan growth rate of 0.47 per cent in the past three months was second only to British Columbia among Canadian provinces. The growth was spurred by a natural increase (births minus deaths) of 1,495, net interprovincial migration of 823 and net international migration of 2,527."

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 7:21 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post

"Saskatchewan growth rate of 0.47 per cent in the past three months was second only to British Columbia among Canadian provinces. The growth was spurred by a natural increase (births minus deaths) of 1,495, net interprovincial migration of 823 and net international migration of 2,527."
I have lived 3x in Saskatchewan I have seen first hand the many opportunities there, can't argue with the current state. I love Saskatoon such a compact city that has a lot to offer. What I have and continued to enjoy is the beauty of greenery.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 4:09 PM
BANNED

I suppose it made me feel better that despite the slow growth we have had for so many years, we always grew more than Saskatchewan; now that I see their numbers slightly higher, it just irks me. With Winnipeg being a relatively large city, compared to Regina and Saskatoon, Winnipeg alone should (ideally) attract more people. I think we still may be losing more people than I would like to see. I actually like Sam Katz, but Winnipeg needs someone else as mayor--a hip, business-savy, urban kinda person, and the province needs a Premier with similar attributes. Despite so many entities whose mandate is to improve downtown Winnipeg, not enough is being done fast enough. I will be happier when I see more makeovers (Ave Building), and infills, and stores opening up downtown.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 5:03 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart View Post
Bothers me that Saskatchewan is growing more than Manitoba...
Actually last quarter Manitoba grew faster (0.48M, 0.44S). Saskatchewan had rather stagnant growth until the last couple of years. Both Manitoba are seeing good increases in growth, which is good. Both lost a lot of people to Alberta, but now those people are returning (specifically Saskatchewan). Manitoba is benefiting from international migration. Note also these numbers are for the provinces and not the major cities, although one can assume that the city growth is pretty similar. Overall I am upbeat for both provinces and I believe this growth will continue for the next few quarters, if not a couple of years. After that its hard to say.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 8:42 PM
the first stamp is free

IMO Sask is currently benefiting more from return homers from Alberta than anything else. This will likely slow down considerably after a few short years. After that they will need to increase international migrants, there are only so many expats that will be in a position to move back home.

Manitoba gets a lot a international immigrants due to the nominee program, and I would imagine its at a substantially higher percentage per capita than Sask. I think that as long as this program remains successful it will set up Manitoba for steady growth long term.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 5:03 AM
BANNED

I think so...in fact, I suspect the numbers will rise.

I am concerned about the lack of rental units though...

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 5:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yes the lac of rentals is a big issue but its an issue in every city christ in Thompson they're trying to convert as much as they can to condos

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 11:45 PM
BANNED

The lack of rentals will spur the Construction of new homes, condos and apartments. This will be beneficial to the Manitoba economy, thus creating more jobs, and attracting more people abroad to move here.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
IMO Sask is currently benefiting more from return homers from Alberta than anything else. This will likely slow down considerably after a few short years. After that they will need to increase international migrants, there are only so many expats that will be in a position to move back home.

Manitoba gets a lot a international immigrants due to the nominee program, and I would imagine its at a substantially higher percentage per capita than Sask. I think that as long as this program remains successful it will set up Manitoba for steady growth long term.
Quote:

"Saskatchewan growth rate of 0.47 per cent in the past three months was second only to British Columbia among Canadian provinces. The growth was spurred by a natural increase (births minus deaths) of 1,495, net interprovincial migration of 823 (AKA Alberta, mostly) and net international migration of 2,527."
I'm sorry, but I'm confused. You're saying Sask's growth is mainly contributed to an influx of Saskatchewan 'expats' from Alberta?
Like I previously questioned, doesn't the quote above by Statistics Canada completely contradict that? I'm no expert in statistics, so please correct me if I am misinterpreting them.
I'm just unaware why you and ILYR are seemingly trying to disregard Sask's growth as nothing more than Sask expats, whereas Manitoba has some phenomenal international immigrant wave taking over. I think both provinces are growing in similar patterns. That's just what I've gathered from looking at the statistics, anyway. Sorry if I'm coming across brash, it's not my intention.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'm confused. You're saying Sask's growth is mainly contributed to an influx of Saskatchewan 'expats' from Alberta?
Like I previously questioned, doesn't the quote above by Statistics Canada completely contradict that? I'm no expert in statistics, so please correct me if I am misinterpreting them.
I'm just unaware why you and ILYR are seemingly trying to disregard Sask's growth as nothing more than Sask expats, whereas Manitoba has some phenomenal international immigrant wave taking over. I think both provinces are growing in similar patterns. That's just what I've gathered from looking at the statistics, anyway. Sorry if I'm coming across brash, it's not my intention.
It seems to me you're reading those stat's correctly.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 6:12 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Returning expats are the current reason for Saskatchewan's growth as well as a relatively healthy economy. In Manitoba , the economy is growing reasonably enough I suppose but actually yes , the Provincial Nominee Program has worked wonders for Manitoba's population growth.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 6:46 AM

... I give up!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 7:19 AM

Quote:
... I give up!
Haha don't give up.

The article talks mostly about international immigration. We often talk about our nominee program but it sounds like other province are doing well in that regard as well.

What i found interesting was in a 'backgrounder' from the provincial government (backgrounder to a news release regarding the deficit) it listed Manitoba's GDP as $50 billion, and Saskatchewan's at $60 billion. Considering they have a smaller population that makes for a much larger per capita GDP in SK. Rats.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 2:07 PM

Looks like overall Saskatchewan appears to be growing by interprovincial migration. No matter. It's good news.
Quote:
News Release - June 25, 2008
SASKATCHEWAN’S POPULATION KEEPS ON GROWING – UP NEARLY 18,000 IN PAST YEAR

First Quarter Increase Highest in Decades, Stats Can Says

Saskatchewan's population has grown by nearly 18,000 people in the past year, according to a new report released today by Statistics Canada. That's a growth rate of 1.8 per cent, second-highest in Canada and just marginally behind Alberta at 1.82 per cent.

Advanced Education, Labour and Employment Minister Rob Norris said Saskatchewan is the place to be and that's why more people are moving in than moving out.

"Saskatchewan's job opportunities and quality of life are attracting thousands of people from other provinces and other countries," Norris said. "Our growing population and growing economy are signs that Saskatchewan's new prosperity is here to stay."

Over the past year, 30,307 people moved to Saskatchewan from other provinces, compared to 19,361 who moved out, for a net interprovincial in-migration of 11,036 people. In addition, Saskatchewan has attracted 3,839 immigrants from other countries in the past year.

Saskatchewan's population now stands at 1,010,146 - up 3,502 people in the first quarter of 2008 and 17,908 people in the past year. According to Statistics Canada, it was the highest first quarter increase in Saskatchewan in decades.

In recent weeks, the Saskatchewan government has been working to attract more skilled workers to the province, through an aggressive marketing campaign in Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta, and by joining Saskatchewan employers in recruiting employees from Ontario, the Philippines and Ukraine.

"A growing population of highly skilled employees means we are building increasingly diverse and dynamic communities," Norris said. "Our government is working hard to ensure that Saskatchewan continues to grow and that all Saskatchewan people share in the benefits of growth."

For more detailed information about the latest Saskatchewan population numbers, visit the Saskatchewan Bureau of Statistics website at www.stats.gov.sk.ca.

-30-

For more information, contact:

Kathy Young
Executive Council
Regina
Phone: 306-787-1321
Email: kathy.young@gov.sk.ca

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 3:16 PM
ILYR

Quote:
The statistics show that Saskatchewan has done better than Manitoba at attracting people from other provinces, including expats from Alberta. Manitoba has not done as well in this regard. However, Manitoba has had an aggressive program to increase international immigration for over 10 years and has surpassed its goal of 10000 immigrants a year. This program has been watched by other provinces, including Saskatchewan, and is now being implemented. So, yes Manitoba's population growth over the last few years has been dominated by international migration to offset losses in inter-provincial migration. Saskatchewan, on the other hand, has improved international migration (not disregarding this by the way), but more importantly has turned around high losses to other provinces to positive gains. This net negative to positive change has had a greater impact on population increase than international migration. One has to look at stats for the past 5-10 years to see these trends, not last quarters results.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 5:21 PM

Now I can sleep at night!

Thanks guys

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 6:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

it reached 10,000 a year but they set a new goal of 20,000 year btw

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 6:10 PM
Heart of the Continent

Well, we're almost there....lets hope we can get there.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 8:13 AM
BANNED

I have heard from numerous sources, including an article in the Saturday Free Press that suggests Winnipeg is on the verge of a construction boom. This is great news, and will definitely attract many from out of province, especially Alberta!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan