HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
From BIV, about Alberni Street and restaurants and retail ....... rather timely.

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/7/s...taurants-alon/

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/4/m...lberni-street/
A couple of interesting pieces from the first article:

Quote:
Another possibility is that Kobe could be demolished along with Coast, Black+Blue and The Roof.

That’s because Bruser, in 2014, sold the land underneath his 48-year-old restaurant to an offshore buyer who wanted to aggregate the site with his other holdings.

Bruser said the offer was too good to refuse, before adding that he now has a short-term lease.
Looking at the space (seen here) it could be redeveloped into a prime lux development. Would be quite surprised if it didn't given that it was sold at an offer that 'couldn't be refused.'.

also this comment on the Alberni street redo:

Quote:
Once future rezonings pass and developers pay the city the CACs, the money could flow. Gauthier estimated that $2 million will be spent on the street, and he thinks that it could take between three to five years for the funds to be available.

“We’ll be advocating for some kind of new streetscape design for the sidewalk so it looks and feels different than anywhere else in the city"

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 1:28 AM

BIV article even mentions those damn telephone poles that are giving some here nightmares .

Seriously though, that article again goes to show how difficult it has become to live or run a business in Vancouver with the soaring prices. Everything is only used for speculation and restaurants that have been local institutions will close in midst of it all. They are really squeezing the livability that the city used to be known for out of this city.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 1:37 AM
life in the present

All good examples, thanks!! The CRU's on Robson's 1100 block are beginning to look like a 'shantytown' quite frankly. Little to no leasing activity is taking place on the western half of the block. Amazing that the landlords would simply let this once vibrant block wither away when there's high demand for retail just a block away. Hope this changes soon.

As far as better sidewalk design that suits a luxury district, we're 10 - 20 years behind on this, even Robson should have had mid-block crossings and more attractive sidewalks 20 years ago.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
A couple of interesting pieces from the first article:

Looking at the space (seen here) it could be redeveloped into a prime lux development. Would be quite surprised if it didn't given that it was sold at an offer that 'couldn't be refused.'.

also this comment on the Alberni street redo:
Precisely what we don't want the developer to do: demolishing Kobe's restaurant building: it is very unique and makes quite a statement on Alberni street. Just because that lot allows higher density, such an interesting structure will have to come down whereas parts of Robson nearby that have shanty structures are ignored by developers because of the building restrictions there. Makes absolutely no sense.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
From BIV, about Alberni Street and restaurants and retail ....... rather timely.

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/7/s...taurants-alon/

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/4/m...lberni-street/
Wow.. those Glowbal restaurants are busy!
"He estimates that he serves 800,000 guests annually at his four Alberni Street eateries..."

That's 2200 people per day, 365 days a year!

Ron.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 5:24 AM

Haha, I was also questioning his math on my end.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 10:42 AM

Second article said the building that Hapa Izakaya was located in is being sold for redevelopment.
That's across the alley from the former Wall Financial development site at 1444 Alberni & 740 Nicola that was rumoured to be sold to Hong Kong-based Asia Standard International Group and Vancouver-based Landa Global Properties.

Quote:
What could have been the final nail in the Robson Street Hapa Izakaya’s coffin, however, was that an investor has been trying to buy the building that Ault was occupying.

Ault said owners of the 45 condominiums above the site’s commercial space have already voted more than 80% to aggregate and sell their units as a block.

Optimum Realty representative Andrew Leung, who managed Ault’s Robson Street site on behalf of the landlord, confirmed to Business in Vancouver that the owner has had an offer to sell the four street-level strata retail units as part of that aggregation.

Ault being behind in his rent gave his landlord the opportunity to kick him out.

Had the rent been paid, the landlord would have had to provide an inducement for Ault to leave, given that Ault’s lease was not set to expire until mid-2019 and the agreement had no demolition clause.

The north side of the 1400-block of Robson Street also includes the Riviera Hotel and a grassy patch of land at the corner of Robson and Broughton streets, which has been vacant for decades.
https://www.biv.com/article/2016/7/s...-prime-locati/

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Precisely what we don't want the developer to do: demolishing Kobe's restaurant building: it is very unique and makes quite a statement on Alberni street. Just because that lot allows higher density, such an interesting structure will have to come down whereas parts of Robson nearby that have shanty structures are ignored by developers because of the building restrictions there. Makes absolutely no sense.
I don't understand you. You want more retail density but one of the best places to put it is exactly what you don't want developers to do?

Ultra-lux don't want to be on Robson, they have proved that time and time again. There are plenty of opportunities and they aren't taking them, and haven't in the past.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 10:54 PM

From Granville St. twitter:

Upgrades planned for recently sold TOM LEE building 929 Granville. Nordstrom's only a block away #retail
https://twitter.com/GranvilleStreet

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I don't understand you. You want more retail density but one of the best places to put it is exactly what you don't want developers to do?

Ultra-lux don't want to be on Robson, they have proved that time and time again. There are plenty of opportunities and they aren't taking them, and haven't in the past.
I think Kobe restaurant itself is very interesting, and I'm sure it's only bought up because of the limited sites to go higher density. As I pointed out, barely a block away on Robson, low-density buildings that deserve to be torn down get to stay forever (some with no tenants) because of zoning restrictions.

The result: Good useable retail buildings, some with good architecture, are destroyed, whereas those deserving to be pulled down along much of Robson, Denman and Davie get to stay forever.

Like I pointed out before, ultra-lux stores do not locate on Robson due to a lack of good quality retail stores there. Put in a new building with 3 or 4 storey retail, with either a mid-rise hotel or office block on top on Robson and you will see stores like Simons, Uniqlo, Saks, etc rushing in to lease.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Second article said the building that Hapa Izakaya was located in is being sold for redevelopment.
That's across the alley from the former Wall Financial development site at 1444 Alberni & 740 Nicola that was rumoured to be sold to Hong Kong-based Asia Standard International Group and Vancouver-based Landa Global Properties.

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/7/s...-prime-locati/
I wonder if the site would allow anything taller or of higher density than what is there right now.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
From Granville St. twitter:

Upgrades planned for recently sold TOM LEE building 929 Granville. Nordstrom's only a block away #retail
https://twitter.com/GranvilleStreet
I wonder what type of upgrades they're planning for the building? Is the building designated heritage?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Anyone know whats going into 50 Powell St? Looks like they've dumped a lot of money into the renos and the setup looks like Lululemon... which would be interesting seeing how Chip Wilson is buying up Gastown and surrounding area and has his new flagship close by.
Chip Wilson has no involvement with lululemon anymore-I'm not sure if his offices are upstairs but they definitely aren't lulu offices there.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etceteraism View Post
Chip Wilson has no involvement with lululemon anymore-I'm not sure if his offices are upstairs but they definitely aren't lulu offices there.
Agreed on the non-involvement with Chip Wilson, but it is lululemon labs.

Source: https://twitter.com/darylclaudio/sta...63617256935425

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 2:23 PM

Quote:
http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Britis...100842030.html

Looks like it's a design lab.. they've been recruiting for Men's designer at this location.
https://ca.linkedin.com/jobs/view/125388161

Ron.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I wonder if the site would allow anything taller or of higher density than what is there right now.
Probably 300' - check the West End Community Plan.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:20 PM

Vacant for about four years -- since the White Spot moved out -- there were people starting to work on the downtown RYU store today, Thurlow/Robson

My pix, July 14

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:25 PM
life in the present

Wonder why it's taking so long to lease the former Tommy Hilfiger and A/X spaces in Robson Centre Place around the corner. Seems too prime to be vacant for so long.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Haha, I was also questioning his math on my end.
if my math is right that's grossing 80 million a year. Everytime I eat out in fine dining its 100 bucks a head with drinks. This is no difference than Alberto moving up a couple blocks on Hornby and building a new brand restaurant

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Is Lulu the owner of the building or are they just the tenent. I may be wrong but I believe Chips owns the building. I heard about the gastown property 3 years ago and that was still when chip was involved in lululemon. Them kit ace opened so I assumed that was the spot lulu was supposed to move to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy