HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 7:31 PM

How does any other transit station/parkade/garage/structure of any kind deal with it? Could they not have just designed in an extra emergency exit or two?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Nothing that an exterminator can't fix with some of the pigeon spike strips. Probably should have been installed as part of the original build though.
They tried spike strips on the girders under the rail bridge there. Did absolutely nothing. The ended up using steel mesh to enclose the underside of the bridge.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
They tried spike strips on the girders under the rail bridge there. Did absolutely nothing. The ended up using steel mesh to enclose the underside of the bridge.
Apparently WT is going to be closing the station entirely and rerouting buses around the busway for several days just after Xmas and in the first week of January to do a full station cleaning.

Hopefully they'll actually take measures to prevent nesting instead of just cleaning up the mess.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 9:17 PM

If those spike strips don't work why not just install nets

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Apparently WT is going to be closing the station entirely and rerouting buses around the busway for several days just after Xmas and in the first week of January to do a full station cleaning.

Hopefully they'll actually take measures to prevent nesting instead of just cleaning up the mess.
"Osborne Station will be closed nightly from 22:00 until 05:30 on Thursday, December 27th
Friday, December 28th, 2018 and January 2nd, 3rd and 4th, 2019 so that crews can perform a
comprehensive cleaning of the building’s upper walls, HVAC and ceiling infrastructure. "

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 5:19 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

Today's WT can't do anything right.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 11:25 PM

Transit Safety?

Over a week ago Friday (Dec. 21) a former co-worker and I were headed back downtown from an afternoon of shopping at Polo Park.

We got on the 11 Kildonan (Glenway?) bus. I'm not totally sure of the time, but it must have been after 7-730 pm.

I sat at the front seat door-side, while my friend sat on the drive side.

Standing room only at that point.

I looks to the right of me and there is someone, man or woman IDK, and it appears at first like they are "showing their teeth". I wonder to myself, "why are they looking like that? Why are they showing their teeth?"

I look some more, and this "person" is actually wearing an animal-human-like mask.

Friend and I and "masked person" get off at the Arena. Friend says to me that the whole trip (Polo to Arena) masked person was staring at her and that it creeped her out.

It was not Halloween. This is but another reason to have Transit security of some sort aboard the buses, so that they can ask said individual, "If I may ask, why are you wearing a mask on the bus"?

Anyone else seen him/her around?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 1:40 AM
BANNED

Has Phase II of the BRT construction started? Is it too late to cancel the "dog leg" portion of the route? The City really should have constructed the route along the old rail line parallel to Pembina Highway, but from what I suspect Katz and the Schindlemans has some sort of deal to route the BRT closer to the Parker Wetlands. It may explain why Katz was given a house in Arizona for next-to-nothing.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 4:29 AM

^^^

Yes, it has, and the worst part of it is the placement of McGillivray Station.

This Station is not close to Pembina at all. Future riders will have to walk at least 1/2 km to and from and a bit to the North by ? metres if they plan on doing any shopping at Safeway or banking at TD.

I hope WT runs the 94 Point Rd. bus more often or adds a new McGillivray feeder (Pembina to Oak Bluff) like I proposed here or on that transit web forum. And knowing WT that's exactly what they[re going to do ... run the 94 every 30- to 60 minutes. They don't care about us and how long we'll have to wait for a 94.

In my mind, it's all a waste of money. Even if we had an LRT over this right-of-way it still wouldn't be much useful to most people. Should have built a SkyTrain like system over Pembina or spent the extra $ under it.

I have lived in the Ft. Garry area since July and I can tell you that most of the passengers on the BRT comprise of students from Third World countries, not local citizens. Is this what it was all for?

Last edited by LilZebra; Dec 30, 2018 at 4:56 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I have lived in the Ft. Garry area since July and I can tell you that most of the passengers on the BRT comprise of students from Third World countries, not local citizens. Is this what it was all for?
You're so far out to lunch with your post, but that last bit takes the cake with racist undertones and your lack of understanding of the people that use Transit.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 4:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Has Phase II of the BRT construction started? Is it too late to cancel the "dog leg" portion of the route? The City really should have constructed the route along the old rail line parallel to Pembina Highway, but from what I suspect Katz and the Schindlemans has some sort of deal to route the BRT closer to the Parker Wetlands. It may explain why Katz was given a house in Arizona for next-to-nothing.
It is actually almost completed. That old rail line is a fully working line , its not some abandoned line.
Second the dog leg is actually cheaper and does make more sense if you are forword thinking. Pembina route would have taken alot more money, expropriated alot of homes, and honestly served a smaller area.

Problem with people that hate the dog leg is they think winnipeg ends at pembina., it doesnt, there are far more people living west of the dog leg then you can imagine. And more coming. With the dog leg you can serve a huge area with feeder routes that then just use the RT right of way.
The point for the line is just thet, it acts like a highway to DT for all the bus routes. Its not there to just service the immidiete vicinity. Buses will come from Whyte Ridge, Linden Woods, Bridgewater etc etc. Then jump on the line and get you downtown faster.

I dont know why people do not understand this.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
It is actually almost completed. That old rail line is a fully working line , its not some abandoned line.
Second the dog leg is actually cheaper and does make more sense if you are forword thinking. Pembina route would have taken alot more money, expropriated alot of homes, and honestly served a smaller area.

Problem with people that hate the dog leg is they think winnipeg ends at pembina., it doesnt, there are far more people living west of the dog leg then you can imagine. And more coming. With the dog leg you can serve a huge area with feeder routes that then just use the RT right of way.
The point for the line is just thet, it acts like a highway to DT for all the bus routes. Its not there to just service the immidiete vicinity. Buses will come from Whyte Ridge, Linden Woods, Bridgewater etc etc. Then jump on the line and get you downtown faster.

Summed up nicely. Also, the park and rides by the stations on the dogleg will encourage people that currently drive alone to downtown to park and take the bus downtown, hopefully reducing congestion on streets into downtown, although I imagine there will be a lot of university students using them.

There will still be plenty of bus service along Pembina Hwy as well. It's not like Transit is going to ignore their existing passenger base between Jubilee and Bishop Grandin.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 8:10 PM

Quote:

Thank you, well said. To add to the dogleg comment, the Parker land development designed as TOD will be medium-high density from the start. Running the RT route down pembina where it is already developed would not add to much more city densification in the near term, and even reduced density if expropriations were required

Now if only the developers and city could settle whatever is slowing things down at the Parker lands and get started, that would be great

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Sorry, that makes no sense. There are actually only two neighbourhoods west of the dogleg: Whyte Ridge and Lindenwoods, neither of which is exactly a transit mecca.

And in any case, the same feeder buses would be running regardless of which right-of-way was chosen for the transitway. There are only two feeder routes that are planned to enter the transitway on the dogleg section: the 180/181 via Clarence and the 164 Lindenwoods via Hurst Way (see page 5).

It makes absolutely no difference whether the 180/181 enters the transitway at the hydro corridor or two blocks east at the rail corridor. And the 164 could just as well continue the current route of the 64 via Grant. Furthermore, the ridership on these routes is peanuts compared to the Pembina routes.

There are arguments for and against both of the alignments, but feeder buses is not one of them. Feeder buses could run in the rail alignment just as well as they can in the hydro alignment.

Last edited by GarryEllice; Dec 31, 2018 at 1:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 1:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:

The Dog Leg defeats the purpose of building "rapid" transit. It's not that much cheaper, and will inconvenience everyone who wants to use it, as it sways off Pembina, into no-man's land.

Quote:
Look at Pembina Highway, especially where the dog leg veers off the main route. Tons of apartments, and dense areas, where mainly senior citizens and students use. It will cross McGillivary, in a suburban area, where very few people use transit, and the areas it traverses is much less dense. It will just piss off people who will be walking from Pembina, in order to use McGillivary station.

Secondly, have you EVER bothered to use transit on Waverley? There is virtually nobody using transit apart from peak hours for University of Manitoba students. The Dog Leg comes nowhere near the BRT, so even though the city does not end at Pembina, the majority of people that use transit in that area do.

Quote:

Probably because the line will NOT service communities like Waverley West. It will do little for Linden Woods and Whyte Ridge. These areas mainly commute by car, and it would make little sense for someone from Whyte Ridge to park and ride from McPhillips and the BRT, when it would just be easier to park either at the U of M, or the north section of Ft Richmond. I doubt you have much experience with WT.

Those of us who grew up in Fort Garry know of the fallacies of the BRT.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Jan 1, 2019 at 1:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 1:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Sorry, that makes no sense. There are actually only two neighbourhoods west of the dogleg: Whyte Ridge and Lindenwoods, neither of which is exactly a transit mecca.

And in any case, the same feeder buses would be running regardless of which right-of-way was chosen for the transitway. There are only two feeder routes that are planned to enter the transitway on the dogleg section: the 180/181 via Clarence and the 164 Lindenwoods via Hurst Way (see page 5).

It makes absolutely no difference whether the 180/181 enters the transitway at the hydro corridor or two blocks east at the rail corridor. And the 164 could just as well continue the current route of the 64 via Grant. Furthermore, the ridership on these routes is peanuts compared to the Pembina routes.

There are arguments for and against both of the alignments, but feeder buses is not one of them. Feeder buses could run in the rail alignment just as well as they can in the hydro alignment.
Well said.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Over a week ago Friday (Dec. 21) a former co-worker and I were headed back downtown from an afternoon of shopping at Polo Park.

We got on the 11 Kildonan (Glenway?) bus. I'm not totally sure of the time, but it must have been after 7-730 pm.

I looks to the right of me and there is someone, man or woman IDK, and it appears at first like they are "showing their teeth". I wonder to myself, "why are they looking like that? Why are they showing their teeth?"

I look some more, and this "person" is actually wearing an animal-human-like mask.

Friend and I and "masked person" get off at the Arena. Friend says to me that the whole trip (Polo to Arena) masked person was staring at her and that it creeped her out.

It was not Halloween. This is but another reason to have Transit security of some sort aboard the buses, so that they can ask said individual, "If I may ask, why are you wearing a mask on the bus"?

Time for you to lay off the shrooms for a bit I think.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Sounds like my Uncle Joe. Don't worry. He is harmless.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Time for you to lay off the shrooms for a bit I think.
I think the poster uses public transit in Winnipeg a heck of a lot more than you, if you ever have. I highly doubt a story like that would be fabricated. Your ad hominem attack is not only rude and inappropriate, but entirely unnecessary.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:07 PM

The thing about the dog leg. There are still bus routes that run on Pembina. So if you want to go to Pembina at McGillivray, you take a route that gets you there. You could take a BRT route that runs on transitway until Jubilee and exits there.

If you want to bypass that stretch of Pembina, you take a route that stays on the transitway through to the end. There should be no need to walk a mile from the McGillivray station (which is not called McGillivray anymore, possibly Seal Station).

While again I agree having stations out in fields is silly, the idea of a bus highway, as one poster put it, is still there and valid. The transitway is not there so someone can go 2 stops down to the grocery store. It's for moving people long distances.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan