HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
I wouldn't call it an entirely positive step. Taxi drivers in most provinces (if not all) need a professional driver's license (class 4 in Saskatchewan) which is harder to get (tougher road test, medical requirements) than a class 5. Vehicles are subject to regulra inspection as well, for safety. None of these are the case with Uber or Lyft.

I agree that there is an artificial scarcity of cabs in most cities (including Regina and Saskatoon) and this drives up the prices of them. On the other hand, as a Regina resident, I doubt I take a cab more than once every two years so the prices really don't affect me much. They are more of an issue when I travel.

In most markets, Uber and Lyft are intentionally breaking the rules to try to shake up the status quo... it's similar to some of the things services like AirBnB are doing. (Commercial lodging is much more regulated for reasons of public safety.) We're paying less, but we're getting less. I'm not entirely convinced it's good. In the meantime, I shop with my wallet and I use hotels and cabs, not AirBnB and Uber.
IMO, this is entirely a generational thing. As a millennial, I'm much more keen to spend less on lodging and transportation, and spend more on shopping, food and experiences. I frequently use AirBnB and Uber-- spending less and "getting less" is more than okay with me. Although I don't even agree you're getting less, particularly in the case of Uber. It's faster, trackable, nicer cars, can pay on your phone, read/write reviews etc.

Traveling with my parents, or hearing of their travels, they couldn't be bothered to figure out how Uber works, or have the patience to meet up with an Air BnB host to get the keys for their accommodations, let alone share a space with the homeowners if you're not booking an entire house/apartment.

Obviously I can't speak for all millennials (and I don't know how old you are hah), but I would say with confidence, that the majority of my generation agrees.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
IMO, this is entirely a generational thing. As a millennial, I'm much more keen to spend less on lodging and transportation, and spend more on shopping, food and experiences. I frequently use AirBnB and Uber-- spending less and "getting less" is more than okay with me. Although I don't even agree you're getting less, particularly in the case of Uber. It's faster, trackable, nicer cars, can pay on your phone, read/write reviews etc.

Traveling with my parents, or hearing of their travels, they couldn't be bothered to figure out how Uber works, or have the patience to meet up with an Air BnB host to get the keys for their accommodations, let alone share a space with the homeowners if you're not booking an entire house/apartment.

Obviously I can't speak for all millennials (and I don't know how old you are hah), but I would say with confidence, that the majority of my generation agrees.
I agree completely (and I am not a millennial). The taxi industry could have created uber, but it did not. Imagine, an app on your phone that picks up your current location, you enter where you want to go, it tells you exactly how much it is going to cost, when the car will arrive and how long it will take to get you to your destination. Gives you the name of the driver, allows you to text/phone the driver if needed. Uber is popular because it is a better customer experience.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 9:11 PM

Here is a little write up about Saskatoon airport. Nothing really new except mentioning that they are still working on the master plan.

https://industrywestmagazine.com/fut...racing-change/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 3:26 PM

Hope this helps Saskatchewan airports

://globalnews.ca/news/3899591/westjet-and-delta-sign-preliminary-agreement-to-expand-partnership/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Hope this helps Saskatchewan airports

://globalnews.ca/news/3899591/westjet-and-delta-sign-preliminary-agreement-to-expand-partnership/
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe this will give YQR at least some transborder service that we lost last year. YXE has been able to maintain Delta service at least.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:06 PM

The more I think about it, this may be what the airport authority was alluding to earlier regarding a new transborder announcement. Maybe we are getting Minneapolis back but this time on Westjet Encore.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:21 PM

This is potentially huge. One big barrier to Delta in Regina is the need to have their own infrastructure and employees for one or two flights per day. With this deal they can use WestJet for all that or even just have WestJet fly the route.

In addition to MSP, it would be nice to see an ATL or SLC flight some day.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:32 PM

One nice thing about reestablishing the Delta connection to MSP is the many-times daily flights to at least five cities in Florida.

Orlando
Non-stop ·
Jacksonville
Non-stop ·
Tampa
Non-stop ·
Fort Lauderdale
Non-stop ·
Fort Myers
Non-stop ·

this means you can get there and half a day instead of a day and a half through Toronto

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
This is potentially huge. One big barrier to Delta in Regina is the need to have their own infrastructure and employees for one or two flights per day. With this deal they can use WestJet for all that or even just have WestJet fly the route.
United essentially used Air Canada capabilities here. There's no reason why Delta couldn't use WestJet's, if they jointly agreed. But my instinct is that we may see WestJet Encore flying YQR-MSP, exploiting WS's codeshare agreement with DL. (This works basically just as well; Delta would likely have a DL flight number on the flights and could sell them directly to customers.)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 3:52 PM

I wish that Delta would include YQR-MSP in their expansion plans. One thing it would raise the profile of the airport and would probably cut people driving to YXE to catch their U.S. flight to MSP and beyond.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I wish that Delta would include YQR-MSP in their expansion plans. One thing it would raise the profile of the airport and would probably cut people driving to YXE to catch their U.S. flight to MSP and beyond.
Alas, given that they just left recently, I don't think we're high up in their plans. But one never knows.

I think it's more likely WestJet will pick up the route, since they codeshare with DL.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:15 AM

Fantastic news if the codeshare with Delta allows for direct flights from Regina to the USA. However, I still am hoping for a third airline to be in the mix with Air Canada and Westjet.

Ps. I really like Skyxe's website and wish YQR's looked more like it (format, font, video, colours, logos).

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 7:50 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Alas, given that they just left recently, I don't think we're high up in their plans. But one never knows.

I think it's more likely WestJet will pick up the route, since they codeshare with DL.
I would agree. Would not surprise me to see Encore give this one a shot.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 5:50 AM

Sad news..... Good that it looks like everyone survived.

"25 passengers on crashed Fond-du-Lac flight 'accounted for' but some require air ambulance, RCMP say - No fatalities reported as of late Wednesday night, but some seriously injured in Saskatchewan crash"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...sask-1.4447787

The ATR is probably WestWind largest aircraft type. Glad it looks like everyone is survived.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Sad news..... Good that it looks like everyone survived.

"25 passengers on crashed Fond-du-Lac flight 'accounted for' but some require air ambulance, RCMP say - No fatalities reported as of late Wednesday night, but some seriously injured in Saskatchewan crash"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...sask-1.4447787

The ATR is probably WestWind largest aircraft type. Glad it looks like everyone is survived.
West Wind has five ATRs if I am not mistaken, so this is a pretty big asset for them to lose.

Interested to find out what the cause of the crash was. Those ATRs were old, but maintained very well.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:23 PM

There are a bunch of different ATR aircraft. Looks like this one was the ATR-42.

(ATRs are common in Europe where you'll see them on routes like where you see Bombardier Dash-8s in North America.)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:01 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
There are a bunch of different ATR aircraft. Looks like this one was the ATR-42.

(ATRs are common in Europe where you'll see them on routes like where you see Bombardier Dash-8s in North America.)
Calm Air here in Manitoba has several of them in their fleet too.

I have flown on ATR-42s several times. A fairly unremarkable, workhorse type of airplane. The fact that everyone survived this crash is impressive.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Calm Air here in Manitoba has several of them in their fleet too.

I have flown on ATR-42s several times. A fairly unremarkable, workhorse type of airplane. The fact that everyone survived this crash is impressive.
Looks like they have some work to do on the process side before they start flying again.....

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...d-du-lac-crash

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 8:17 PM

How much does it really affect them when they can use their own subsidiary.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/cameco-...rash-1.3749090

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:21 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan