HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 12:23 AM

Damn. They're just asking for TIF, not even outright cash. If it's good enough for the Chipmans, why not help GST out?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Damn. They're just asking for TIF, not even outright cash. If it's good enough for the Chipmans, why not help GST out?
Agreed 100%

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:11 AM
BANNED

Yes. This is a wonderful project which is desperately needed at this corner.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:15 AM

While I don't like that they took the Sport Manitoba approach of being like "we need this now or you kill the whole thing," I think there's so many benefits from this project from tangible to intangible — it's a no brainer in my view. And the difference here is that the building is actually well designed to the area.

The designated affordable units, the def-blind units (great since Safeway/Shoppers is across the street), just the arts centre in itself, the CRUs it will create, the fact it will displace that disaster of a "plaza" in front of it right now. This could be a huge shot in the arm of Osborne and help give a beat to the stagnation that's been on the strip development-wise.

Plus, I don't think the small footprint Theatre/Subway can be generating that much tax revenue that the city will notice, and the spinoff benefits are huge.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:27 AM

The longer they wait, the more expensive it will get. Guaranteed. And if that happens, well you can expect the project to scale back and be less effective.

I am rooting for the new theatre. Like many have said before, it could be the shot in the arm (is this a poor choice of words?) that Osborne needs. Osborne street hasn't really developed in the 20+ years that I lived in Winnipeg. And I gotta be a straight-shooter here; the area is kind of stale now. And Osborne deserves to have an updated performing arts centre!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:29 AM
BANNED

Correct. The amount of development there in the last 20 years is pitiful.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/m...city-1.3482478

Sometimes it does not pay to read comments. So many people are very ignorant, and make idiotic comments without thinking or edifying themselves on what they comment about.
I never read comments anymore when it comes to this sort of thing. I'll mostly focus on the sports comments. Saves me from going crazy, looking at all those NIMBY's and the like.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 4:35 PM
BANNED

I am advancing to that point. I find myself gravitating towards the comments once in awhile.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Looks OK but nothing really special. Basically a modern take on the standard Winnipeg postwar walkup apartment block, like this kind of thing:

Source: canadarentalguide.com
I think it looks better than that but I get what you're saying. I like the ceiling height. On the website under features - building, there is "covered, secure well lit parking." Optional oversize parking.

The suite plans look good, I think a couple of the smaller 2 bed units are a bit small for 2 bedrooms but not bad. Better than what is passing for 2 beds in big cities now.

Don't like the vinyl floor, and if there are cheaping out on the flooring, expect a non tile shower / tub area? But, overall, looks pretty good.

In most other cities, underground parking is a must in a new building. But it is a small boutique building.

Crazy how developers cheap out on flooring, tile and other finishings when the additional cost is negligible when most people are financing and would really appreciate the extra quality. I remember seeing the show home for District Loft on James and the buildings are beautiful and they put in vinyl floor, vinyl in the bathroom with a fiberglass built in. Pathetic considering the caliber of the building and location.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 4:53 PM
BANNED

The Village Junction condo project is hideous. This is one development where the renderings are deceiving. The exterior panels look like drywall, almost like paper. Disgusting.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:11 PM

Ya I'm not a fan of those white panels. Especially when you can see each screw holding the thing together. Does add some contrast to the neighbourhood. Is that Hardie Board?

I don't know if it's worse than the stucco box next door.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:11 PM

I'm guessing 24/7 condos will have a similar finish. Is there a limit on building heights in Osborne. 8 storeys? Seems like a lot of small projects going ahead, but nothing with some bite too it. Gas Station thing seems to be the largest project in the area.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:28 PM

Is no one else concerned that following the SHED, the GST and another project appeared at City Hall this week both asking for TIFs? This seems like it is going to be an emerging trend -- take your project to city hall and ask that it be made a TIF.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ya I'm not a fan of those white panels. Especially when you can see each screw holding the thing together. Does add some contrast to the neighbourhood. Is that Hardie Board?

I don't know if it's worse than the stucco box next door.
I believe so. It looks incredibly cheap. Fibre cement panels come in so many colors, etc, and can actually look very nice. This project: nope.

These? Yes.

http://wfpquantum.s3.amazonaws.com/i...fgu-970879.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7663f9078f.jpg

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Is no one else concerned that following the SHED, the GST and another project appeared at City Hall this week both asking for TIFs? This seems like it is going to be an emerging trend -- take your project to city hall and ask that it be made a TIF.
This is kind of what I was getting at. Is it going to be the same thing that happened for a bit with Exchange condos where no one builds anything without some sort of kickback? It does scare me a bit, but again I think this project is extremely worthy of it for so many reasons. This is a big charity and community project. The SHED and TNS are private developments... that makes you scratch your head a bit.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I believe so. It looks incredibly cheap. Fibre cement panels come in so many colors, etc, and can actually look very nice. This project: nope.

These? Yes.

http://wfpquantum.s3.amazonaws.com/i...fgu-970879.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7663f9078f.jpg
Those ones look pretty bad, especially the fist one. Fiber cement panels can look really good. Hard to tell in renderings what they are using. Higher end materials are great, but these are entry level condos, so it does come down to cost.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 11:32 PM
Ignore these four words.

Yesterday there was an open house for the Corydon/Osborne Area Plan. Here's the link:

http://winnipeg.ca/ppd/Corydon/

Click on the documents tab for detailed information.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 6:17 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Just by quickly reading thru the reports...the plan is to:
  1. Encourage building of hi-rise residential at Wellington Cres. within the Study area, by replacing mansion homes on that street.
  2. Encourage building of medium density buildings (residential & commercial) near Confusion Corner like current Osborne Place development.
  3. Leaving Corydon-Wentworth-Stafford area alone as it is.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:13 AM

The number one thing that would improve Corydon is getting rid of that truly atrocious MTS building. It's really appalling that arguably the best stretch of Corydon has that thing across from it. Imagine if there were storefronts there, might not just feel like a ghost town in winter.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 7:42 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Again, I'm always the contrarian in these matters.

NOOOOOO. YOU CANNOT TAKE THE MTS LONG DISTANCE LATA BUILDING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything doesn't have to be retail. Sometimes an office building here or there can add something to the street.

In fact there are people who work in that MTS Long Distance building. Perhaps if they weren't there, yes, there'd be little restaurants and maybe a Starbucks or another Subway added.

But they'd be working for the restaurant, not being customers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan