HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
clearly says in the damn article

that they will develop on the site regardless only postpone it 6 months and they would have to downsize it a bit to cut costs

gtfo this forum dumb as bricks..

its going to proceed regardless if they get funding

I dont see the why province wont give them 15 million with all the money they waste on other useless shit..

sellinger needs to go hes a fukn retard
LOL. You played yourself.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:51 PM

i mean pallister loll heheh

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 12:35 AM
BANNED

I'd be ok if they left that area green space as now that I drive past the WAG building. That view which has never been seen is actually kinda nice. The huge chimney is also very cool. I don't want a parking lot though. I just like how the WAG now stands by itself as a unique building.

I'd love to see the Bay parkade replaced with the new Inuit centre though.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 12:18 AM

Any word on whether this is a go? Last I heard is that the art gallery would have found out by the end of August whether funding by
The province would be approved or not.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:51 PM

Province approves $10mm funding for this project (down from the $15mm NDP had committed).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.4456010

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Province approves $10mm funding for this project (down from the $15mm NDP had committed).

*cue redesign/value-engineering*

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
*cue redesign/value-engineering*
$5 million more fundraising is probably not that daunting for a project with such a high profile and so many commitments already.

I don't think they're going to have to switch to stucco or rent out the main floor to Money Mart to make this thing work.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 6:24 PM

So I just looked at the renders for the original design.

Have any of the people involved ever been to an art gallery?

This isn't that bad, though it doesn't seem like it encourages engagement with the work to have this long, winding case of sculpture after sculpture, all at the same level:

But THIS?

Why are there sculptures at the level of the ceiling?

"I'm going to sit on this beanbag chair and stare up at the carvings on shelves ten feet above my head!"

They're describing it as part of the "vault" -- i.e., the storage for pieces not on display. But it treats the artwork like an piece of architectural material, instead of works to be actually seen or appreciated.

It reminds me of that Chinese library that everyone gushed about...

... where it later turned out the books were just printed on.

I know in this case, the works aren't fake, they're real -- but they're similarly being used en masse for an architectural effect rather than as works of art.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 7:23 PM

The artworks in the main floor case are actually in a storage vault. It is a glass vault designed so that all the artworks can be viewed, not just the ones on display. It's an awesome feature of the new gallery.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
$5 million more fundraising is probably not that daunting for a project with such a high profile and so many commitments already.

I don't think they're going to have to switch to stucco or rent out the main floor to Money Mart to make this thing work.
$5M is huge!

If they never needed that $5M, it's essentially implying that it was going straight into pockets. $5M in extra costs not covered also has massive implications on returns.

Not saying it will only include huge changes, but changes will be made.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 2:37 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post

The province sucks.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 3:05 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
So I just looked at the renders for the original design.

Have any of the people involved ever been to an art gallery?

This isn't that bad, though it doesn't seem like it encourages engagement with the work to have this long, winding case of sculpture after sculpture, all at the same level:

But THIS?

Why are there sculptures at the level of the ceiling?

"I'm going to sit on this beanbag chair and stare up at the carvings on shelves ten feet above my head!"

They're describing it as part of the "vault" -- i.e., the storage for pieces not on display. But it treats the artwork like an piece of architectural material, instead of works to be actually seen or appreciated.

It reminds me of that Chinese library that everyone gushed about...

Quote:
... where it later turned out the books were just printed on
hey, looks better than what they did at our downtown library.

In religious texts, "vault" means the sky or a place above.

A "vaulted ceiling" is similar.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 4:49 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The province sucks.
it does but concidering the idiocy they did give something in this climate they have create. now time for the wag to get creative hopefully someone out there steps up to fill the gap

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 4:29 AM

Digital rendering of the Inuit Art Centre.
Michael Maltzen Architecture Inc.

LEVEL 1
GLASS VAULT

The design centers on double-height visible Inuit Vault located immediately adjacent to the IAC entry on the corner of St. Mary’s Avenue and Memorial Boulevard. The vault’s curved glass walls extend from floor to ceiling and include shelving that follows the curvature of the enclosure. Additional vault storage, accessible by a stairwell connecting to the visible vault, is located in the building’s lower level. The vault interior will be accessible to curators and scholars while the public will be able to look into the storage room from the Inuit Vault Lobby. A new lecture room, café, and reading room will be adjacent to the lobby providing educational and research spaces in close proximity to the Visible Vault. The ground level design also includes minor modifications to the existing building that includes a new gallery shop.

LEVEL 1 & 2
INTERACTIVE THEATRE

In this dynamic theatre, live performers, educators, speakers and Elders will take the stage to share their knowledge and voices. Students will come face-to-face with exciting new learning possibilities as virtual technology connects them to classrooms across the North. From here, they can watch a carver working in Baker Lake and listen to stories being told by an Elder from Arviat.

From inside the theatre, visitors will look out to see collections and the carving porch, where artists will work in full view.

LEVEL 3
INUIT GALLERY
LARGEST SINGLE GALLERY SPACE OF ITS KIND IN NORTH AMERICA

The expansive, light-filled Inuit Gallery on the building’s third level provides 8,500 square feet of open, flexible exhibition space dedicated to the display of Inuit art. The voluminous gallery is intended to reflect the natural environments of the North, the setting in which much of the art is created. The monumental, sculptural walls evoke the immense geographic features that are the background of many Inuit towns and inlets. Figural skylights in the ceiling suffuse the gallery with light from the broad spectrum of the sky creating an ethereal illumination that focuses the viewer on the Inuit Art in the gallery. An Indigenous Gallery on the upper roof level and open to the Inuit Gallery below, will honor the Inuit and other aboriginal peoples of the North providing an open space for exhibitions, public performances, private celebrations, or quiet meditation.

LEVEL 4
STUDIO & LEARNING SPACE

Education studios and classrooms are concentrated at the WAG’s penthouse level, providing students access to the large roof terrace. New education spaces include a dedicated education lobby and reception, clay studio, kiln room, and two exterior studios for summer and winter activities, such as stone carving and ice sculpting.

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Jun 29, 2018 at 7:36 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:53 PM

Welp. I really hope the exhibits are more elaborate than that...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Why? It's an Inuit Art Museum. The display cases hold Inuit art.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Carved rocks and bones don't turn your crank? With a lineup like that it'll be hard to keep people out!

Last edited by rrskylar; Feb 1, 2018 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Carved rocks and bones don't turn your crank? With a lineup like that it'll be hard to keep people out!
You don't like carved rock? That is too funny. Let me guess..you prefer jello or vegetable art?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:14 PM

Appreciate the image posts folks but for the love of god please make them smaller this is friggin ridiculous!

My only issue is the lack of presence created on the street. It has a small area where the light floods onto the street and the rest is dark and lifeless. While I like the design of it with the simple flat rounded top area with no windows I'd really have preferred some way to use the height to create more presence on the street.

For example:

Basically everything away from the main entrance area looks nearly identical to how the corner looks now.

I'm not a huge fan of Inuit art but it is art I guess. Some of its pretty cool but not sure it will draw a tonne year round - however I'll trust the museum / tourism folks enough that it won't be empty all the time. I really like what it looks like inside.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 6:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
You don't like carved rock? That is too funny. Let me guess..you prefer jello or vegetable art?
Actually I appreciate good art, rocks carved into silly animal shapes not so much, on the other hand some prefer kitsch...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan