HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 2:58 PM

Mountain Equipment Co-op to open Saskatoon store in 2020
Store will be located in Midtown Plaza, construction to start next year

CBC News · Posted: Nov 20, 2018 7:53 AM CT | Last Updated: an hour ago

Quote:

A well-known camping outfitter plans to set up in Saskatoon in the next two years. Mountain Equipment Co-op said it will open a store in Midtown Plaza in 2020.

"Saskatoon is the province's gateway city to outdoor recreation," saud CEO David Labistour in a news release. "Our new store will bring our product selection, programs and services to more members and be closer to where they live, work and play."

The 20,000 foot store will feature a timber canopy over the store's entrance, and a new architectural look that will be the first of its kind.

The member-owned co-op got its start in 1971 and has 23 stores across the country.

Construction is expected to begin in 2019 and is expected to be be completed by 2020.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...toon-1.4912700

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:53 PM

I am happy to see MEC come to Saskatoon....I really don't recall any of their locations being in Malls...usually stand alone buildings, so this might be new for them (as well as their apparently new concept design).

My only worry is the impact MEC will have on our great little independent outdoor stores like Escape Sports, Outer Limits and Ebbs. I hope that they will find a way to still thrive with the big brother coming to town.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
My only worry is the impact MEC will have on our great little independent outdoor stores like Escape Sports, Outer Limits and Ebbs. I hope that they will find a way to still thrive with the big brother coming to town.
i was wondering the same thing. However on the Noon CTV news, they interviewed Marcus Storey from Escape and he said he welcomed MEC, as he thought it was creating an outdoor equipment hub for shoppers, given the relatively close proximity between Escape & MEC.

Not sure if he believes that or was just putting on a brave face.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
i was wondering the same thing. However on the Noon CTV news, they interviewed Marcus Storey from Escape and he said he welcomed MEC, as he thought it was creating an outdoor equipment hub for shoppers, given the relatively close proximity between Escape & MEC.

Not sure if he believes that or was just putting on a brave face.
I remember shopping at MEC in Vancouver back in the 90s and there were a ton of outdoor gear shops that opened up around their location there. I think they can be complementary but it will require the existing stores to specialize in a particular activity much more.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:11 PM

Who doesn’t love a parking lot in the corner of a very attractive commercial intersection. I really hate Cushman and Wakefield management...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post

Who doesn’t love a parking lot in the corner of a very attractive commercial intersection. I really hate Cushman and Wakefield management...
I was under the impression that the food court was moving upstairs and MEC was moving into the food court space. Anyone know what’s exactly happening?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenraptors View Post
I was under the impression that the food court was moving upstairs and MEC was moving into the food court space. Anyone know what’s exactly happening?
That is the area where the food court is, then it looks like they’re expanding out where the current entrance is, and then the entrance is where the current parking lot / truck entrance for Sears. It seems like that quilt store, GNC, etc, will all be moved somewhere else. It’s going to be a big store.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:

The plans have been out for a long time, and I pointed out the MEC store in their initial renders months ago.

That parking lot exists there now, but that doesn't mean something can't be built on it in the future.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I am happy to see MEC come to Saskatoon....I really don't recall any of their locations being in Malls...usually stand alone buildings, so this might be new for them (as well as their apparently new concept design).
I faintly recall a MEC in West Ed something like twenty years ago.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 1:01 AM

Quote:

I don't understand what else you were expecting? The vacant Sears space is enough of a liability for them to fill... they're supposed to expand the mall right now to fill in the corner too?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I don't understand what else you were expecting? The vacant Sears space is enough of a liability for them to fill... they're supposed to expand the mall right now to fill in the corner too?
I sure hope they don’t see Sears leaving as a liability. That’s been the best thing to happen to that mall in a long time.

Our mall downtown is lacking affordable apparel brands like Simons, Zara, H&M, Bershka, Steve Madden, Top Shop at The Bay, a larger Lululemon, and many many other similar stores that have perfected the Brick & Mortar model. Many other cities have these 10,000 + sqf stores with less population than us. Most don’t want to set up here because of the lack of an appropriate space, don’t set up in suburbs which is all the free space we have, flight costs here, and not having anyone move to a city with bad climate.

Michael Kors could be considered our most high end profitable store here - the only reason they located here is because they saw that La Senza opened here. There’d be no Michael Kors here without La Senza, and now Michael Kors is one of the top grossing stores in the mall. Other brands basically exactly like Michael Kors are Coach, Hugo Boss (Caswells sells Hugo but I never go there because it’s not connected to anything in the 8 months of winter), etc.. all could set up shop here.
Saskatoon’s midtown mall manager is obviously not selling this city properly.

Here’s a great list of future prospects: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ticle31915380/

The modern mall is not dying. They’re just adapting to being both online and in Brick and Mortar. I personally will never be buying my Coach handbags or Zara pants online before I try them on. In fact - Zara’s app actually lets you scan clothes tags at the store and just buy them online. Stores like that are why Hudson’s Bay and Sears have died. To stress - these are not out of the ordinary priced brands and are all priced similar to the stores we have in Saskatoon today.

And don’t get me started on our Hudson’s Bay... I was just at their about to close Lord and Taylor store on 5th Ave in New York and I could barely even buy things even though they were all like 70% off just because the layout of that store was so bad. Middle Man stores like The Bay will not thrive anymore - especially when they haven’t put in or tried to steam clean their carpets for over 30 years. That place is honestly gross.

Saskatoon is losing a ton of sales traveling to Edmonton shoppers. Midtown’s management could close that leak. Sorry if I seem stark, but Regina’s downtown mall is beating us immensely with smarter management (free parking after 5pm if I’m correct, and overal better stores). We can do better. If stores listed above are saying no to us, we’re not selling Saskatoon right. We have a gorgeous city with one of the highest average weekly earnings in the country that deserves more recognition on the retail side of things. Midtown’s current business model is teaching people like myself to make a habit out of driving to West Edmonton Mall before Christmas.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:01 AM

I mean, okay, I don't disagree with a lot of what you just said there -- but it still doesn't address your comment about the parking lot? That's what I didn't understand.

To your point about a consumer like yourself (and many others in this city, including myself) who are more enticed to go to West Edmonton Mall to shop -- well, yeah, that's kind of at the centre of what Midtown is trying to do here. They have expressly said that what they want to do with these upgrades is bring in the kind of first-to-Saskatchewan retailers that people are going to Calgary and Edmonton for. They are intentionally and specifically looking to position Midtown as a fashion destination for the province. Why are we passing judgment before we even know what the mix of retailers will be? They just announced their first tenant today. Look at the floor plans and you'll see that there are many other retail spaces waiting to be filled. Let it play out.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:31 AM

Does anyone happen to know any of the other new stores coming to Midtown? Apparently there was a few new ones announced tonight at a Midtown event.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I mean, okay, I don't disagree with a lot of what you just said there -- but it still doesn't address your comment about the parking lot? That's what I didn't understand.

To your point about a consumer like yourself (and many others in this city, including myself) who are more enticed to go to West Edmonton Mall to shop -- well, yeah, that's kind of at the centre of what Midtown is trying to do here. They have expressly said that what they want to do with these upgrades is bring in the kind of first-to-Saskatchewan retailers that people are going to Calgary and Edmonton for. They are intentionally and specifically looking to position Midtown as a fashion destination for the province. Why are we passing judgment before we even know what the mix of retailers will be? They just announced their first tenant today. Look at the floor plans and you'll see that there are many other retail spaces waiting to be filled. Let it play out.
From the pictures I’ve seen so far it looks like they’re expanding the building but not up to the street - leaving more unnecessary surface parking that could be for more retail space since the corner of 20th and Idylwyld is already such a dead zone.
To my point about retailers skipping over Saskatoon, why are we the last city of our size in Canada to get most of the retailers I mentioned? It obviously has to do with management and strategy of the mall since our average weekly earnings in this province are one of the highest in the country. The current renovations in the mall make it look like a mall from the year 2000. None of the reno’s they are currently doing are being done in any mall anywhere else lol. I’m not saying our mall should look like a Vancouver or Toronto mall, but we can at least keep our central mall here up to speed with Kelowna, or even St Johns Newfoundland, both which have smaller populations and disposable income yet somehow have things like Movie Theatres, Gyms, and shops people actually go to that are the current drivers of the public retail stock market. Ours is no destination.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
That is the area where the food court is, then it looks like they’re expanding out where the current entrance is, and then the entrance is where the current parking lot / truck entrance for Sears. It seems like that quilt store, GNC, etc, will all be moved somewhere else. It’s going to be a big store.
Thanks. I read an article from CTV Saskatoon yesterday that said it was going to occupy the vacant Sears space so I wasn’t sure if I was misinformed. Glad to see that I wasn’t!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 2:42 PM

Not sure about the comment of the Regina Cornwall outperforming the Midtown...I don't have statistics, but I have anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Most of my female colleagues and friends that reside in Regina, save their shopping for trips to Saskatoon! They unanimously comment that the shopping in Saskatoon is far better then Regina.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Not sure about the comment of the Regina Cornwall outperforming the Midtown...I don't have statistics, but I have anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Most of my female colleagues and friends that reside in Regina, save their shopping for trips to Saskatoon! They unanimously comment that the shopping in Saskatoon is far better then Regina.
I do not believe that is how mall performance is judged. Rather it is sales per square foot, but I agree that Midtown is bigger and better than Cornwall.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenraptors View Post
Thanks. I read an article from CTV Saskatoon yesterday that said it was going to occupy the vacant Sears space so I wasn’t sure if I was misinformed. Glad to see that I wasn’t!
To be clear MEC is only 1/8 the size or Sears.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:00 PM

From the rendering...it appears to me it is NOT occupying the Sears space, but rather is a 'new build/add on' to the back of the mall.

So as stated by someone earlier, looks more like it is taking some of the space from existing food court and then adding new square footage.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
From the pictures I’ve seen so far it looks like they’re expanding the building but not up to the street - leaving more unnecessary surface parking that could be for more retail space since the corner of 20th and Idylwyld is already such a dead zone.
To my point about retailers skipping over Saskatoon, why are we the last city of our size in Canada to get most of the retailers I mentioned? It obviously has to do with management and strategy of the mall since our average weekly earnings in this province are one of the highest in the country. The current renovations in the mall make it look like a mall from the year 2000. None of the reno’s they are currently doing are being done in any mall anywhere else lol. I’m not saying our mall should look like a Vancouver or Toronto mall, but we can at least keep our central mall here up to speed with Kelowna, or even St Johns Newfoundland, both which have smaller populations and disposable income yet somehow have things like Movie Theatres, Gyms, and shops people actually go to that are the current drivers of the public retail stock market. Ours is no destination.
There's no expansion occurring. They're working within the existing footprint of the mall.

The parking lot on the corner is not ideal, I agree, but its being there is in no way a new thing. With the reconfiguration going on, the mall is set up well for expansion into that area in the future. Hopefully with mixed use development.

Also, we have our city's largest movie theatre kitty corner to the mall. But I guess it's not connected by a skywalk.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan