HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 6:59 PM

So I have noticed the metal grate system is now being overlayed along the exterior of the building. I thought it would be in a contrasting colour to the siding....but it is the exact same metal colour as existing siding. Maybe the play of light and shadows will create interest, but kind of bland to what I expected. I thought a copper or some other affect was going to be used.

Maybe when it is all done, it will have more of a dramatic affect.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 2:44 PM

Saskatoon gallery a community-building masterpiece

ANGELA KRYHUL
SASKATOON — Special to The Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, Sep. 20, 2016 5:00AM EDT
Last updated Tuesday, Sep. 20, 2016 10:32AM EDT

Quote:
What could the Remai Modern, Saskatoon’s new multimillion-dollar art gallery and home to the world’s most comprehensive collection of Picasso linocuts, possibly have in common with the folksy Saskatoon Farmers’ Market?

Quite a bit, as it happens. Situated along the banks of the South Saskatchewan River, the Remai Modern is a multipurpose facility whose programming and design have been inspired by many of the qualities that make the nearby Farmers’ Market so successful: an inclusive, friendly and authentic community space that offers the tantalizing prospect of discovery, adventure and entertainment.

The Remai Modern hopes to be all of those things. It will certainly be a signature attraction for the Prairie city, the largest art gallery in the province. With an estimated annual gross domestic product impact of $17-million, it will also make a significant contribution to the local economy.

Finishing touches are still being put on the 11,582-square-metre, four-storey building – construction is several months behind schedule because of “delays resulting from drawing corrections and clarifications,” according to a city council report – with the opening slated for sometime in early 2017. “We’re working very closely with the builder, Ellis Don, and the gallery, but we just don’t have a firm date at this time,” says Catherine Gryba, general manager, corporate performance, at the City of Saskatoon.

There will likely be cost overruns, too. Construction is budgeted at just more than $106-million, of which $84.6-million is attributable to the Remai Modern, and the remainder to construction of an underground parkade that will connect the gallery with the adjacent Persephone Theatre. City council expects the project could exceed the budget by $2.5-million to $4.5-million.

The idea for the Remai Modern germinated in 2009, after the city abandoned plans to expand the Mendel Art Gallery. City council instead approved a new purpose-built gallery for River Landing, an ambitious, 30-year project to redevelop a 36-acre parcel in the south downtown area. With private donations and three levels of government pledging funds, council in 2011 approved the design concept put forward by Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects of Toronto (KPMB) in association with Architecture49, the architect of record.

That same year, Saskatoon philanthropist Ellen Remai donated $30-million on behalf of the Frank and Ellen Remai Foundation, with half going toward construction costs and $500,000 annually for 30 years for enhanced exhibition programming. Determined to help forge an international profile for the new gallery, the Foundation in 2012 gifted 405 linocuts by Pablo Picasso, valued at $20-million. Since then, philanthropist Frederick Mulder has donated an additional Picasso linocut as well as 23 ceramic pieces by the famed artist.

[....]
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...11/?cmpid=rss1

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
So I have noticed the metal grate system is now being overlayed along the exterior of the building. I thought it would be in a contrasting colour to the siding....but it is the exact same metal colour as existing siding. Maybe the play of light and shadows will create interest, but kind of bland to what I expected. I thought a copper or some other affect was going to be used.

Maybe when it is all done, it will have more of a dramatic affect.
The original architectural descriptions said the screens were copper and would oxidize like the Bessborough roof or the Leg dome in Regina. I take it from this photo from the article that the completed area facing the River is not screening but rather solid material? Edit: I see from construction photos that that area does not have windows so yes it is solid like the south side. Also the renders show the south and east siding as well as the screen all oxidizing to the same colour. See second photo.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 3:56 PM

^ Yes, we're still waiting for any of the copper "mesh" to go up over the windows.

I wonder if this mesh will also be installed over the solid wall areas to add texture? The rendering seems to suggest so.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
^ Yes, we're still waiting for any of the copper "mesh" to go up over the windows.

I wonder if this mesh will also be installed over the solid wall areas to add texture? The rendering seems to suggest so.
Yes it will, they have started installing the mesh on the west wall (facing the freeway)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 4:45 PM

Great! Thanks.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 8:09 PM

Yea that is a big relief. It should look great.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 2:19 AM

Here's the so-called mesh going up on the west side. The play of light is going to be interesting I think. Especially over the glass sections.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 3:47 PM

I was driving over the Sid Buckwold Bridge the other evening around 6pm and the workers all must have been putting in some longer hours as the entire gallery was lit up inside....it was quite an impressive site at night. Looking forward to the opening of the gallery in 2017...when No1 Riverlanding and the Alt Hotel are completed, that will be a really nice grouping of new builds to view as we cross the bridge.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 4:21 PM

Has the mesh started oxidizing yet. The dome on the Leg in Regina started to turn colour within weeks.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 5:13 PM

Really?! That's interesting!

I haven't noticed any oxidization yet. Still waiting for the mesh on the south face.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Really?! That's interesting!

I haven't noticed any oxidization yet. Still waiting for the mesh on the south face.

here it is a few weeks after the hoarding came off and about a month ago.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 7:46 PM

Looks nice!

Also, that some HEAVY duty scaffold they had set-up. Full beam and column system like a building would have.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 4:53 AM

Cool. Thanks for sharing, Stormer.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 3:05 AM

Lots of lights on in the Remai tonight. Looked great coming over the Buckwold Bridge. Antsy to see the effect of the mesh on the south face!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 11:49 PM

Remai Modern Art Gallery opening at least eight months away

PHIL TANK, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX
Published on: December 5, 2016 | Last Updated: December 5, 2016 3:18 PM CST

Quote:
The Remai Modern Art Gallery of Saskatchewan will open no earlier than late summer of 2017, according to a timetable provided to a city council committee.

Gallery officials appeared Monday in front of Saskatoon city council’s finance committee to explain the schedule. According to the timeline, if “substantial completion” of gallery construction reached 99 per cent and the building could be handed over on Jan. 1, 2017, the earliest it would open would be Sept. 1 — eight months later. No date has been scheduled for the so-called “substantial completion” of the gallery, however, according to Remai Modern officials.

According to the schedule provided by gallery officials, it will take four months to install the vault in which artwork will be stored and to establish stable climate readings. Another month would be needed to move staff and artwork into the building. Three more months would be needed to install art, set up exhibitions and train staff.

The Remai Modern Art Gallery of Saskatchewan was originally slated to open this fall, but delays due to corrected drawings pushed back its debut and increased the price. The opening date of the gallery became an issue during budget talks last week. Councillors pushed Remai Modern CEO Gregory Burke for an opening date and had difficulty committing to the gallery’s budget with no set date.

Burke said accepted practice is for galleries to announce an opening date six months ahead of time. Eventually, he identified “mid-year” as the time when the gallery would open to the public. Council ultimately voted to slice $75,000 off the gallery’s $5.19 million contribution from the city in 2017.

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ht-months-away

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 3:19 PM

Remai Modern announces Jimmie Durham exhibition, exclusive Canadian stop for renowned artist

Dave Deibert, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Cam Fuller, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
December 6, 2016

The first major exhibition at the Remai Modern Art Gallery of Saskatchewan will be a Canadian exclusive.

The gallery announced Tuesday that it will host the lone Canadian exhibition of Jimmie Durham: At the Center of the World, from March 23 to Aug. 5, 2018. The first North American retrospective of Durham — a renowned Cherokee artist, performer, essayist and activist — will be displayed in three major U.S. markets before Saskatoon.

“I’m very proud to be able to say in our first programming announcement that we’re showing an artist of this calibre, an artist who also happens to be First Nations,” gallery CEO and executive director Gregory Burke said in an interview. “And that’s important for me and for Remai Modern, given the commitment that we’re going to be making to be a leading centre for contemporary indigenous art.”

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...enowned-artist

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 2:44 PM

Mesh is finally being installed on the south elevation. It's really quite an elegant looking finish.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 6:37 PM

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...executive-says

^ Photo from 2 days ago. You can see some of the steel mesh.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 3:14 PM

Crossing the Buckwold Bridge last night, I noticed that exterior lighting underneath the mesh covering the solid wall sections on the south and west facades was switched on. When I crossed the bridge again a bit later, it was off. Perhaps they were testing it, but I assume this will be a permanent feature once the building is finished.

It gave the building a wonderful glow, and it looked superb.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan