HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 10:41 PM

coquitlam centre is really coming along - was down there yesterday the roads are looking better and more "city" like

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 11:49 PM

Langley City: Lights enhance safety at loop

Nine new street lights for the Langley City downtown bus depot are intended to make people safer, and to make them feel safer.

The new high-powered lights cost $80,000, with the cost split 50-50 between the City on one hand, and TransLink and the Coast Mountain Bus Company on the other. The lights, along with higher-wattage bulbs in street lights at the corner of Logan Avenue and Glover Road, will help shed more light on a location that has developed a bad reputation after being the scene of a few violent attacks. City Mayor Peter Fassbender was pleased with the change in lighting.

"If you drive by at night time... it makes a huge difference, it's almost like daylight," he said during a low-key unveiling ceremony Monday afternoon.

"From a policing perspective, it's a boost for us," said Supt. Janice Armstrong, the officer in charge of the Langley RCMP detachment. Anything that can help with crime prevention will be an aid to officers on duty, such as the Downtown Core Enforcement Team, she said.

Armstrong, Fassbender, City councillors, municipal staff and Coast Mountain staff all visited the site Monday to mark the arrival of the new lights. Armstrong mentioned that while there have been several high-profile incidents at the bus loop, it isn't a "heavy duty" area for crime.

Moments before making the comment took a brief stroll to check out the smell of marijuana coming from one of the nearby bus shelters. The next step in cleaning up the area is to get the Rainbow Mall redeveloped, something Fassbender said is long overdue. The mall currently has many empty storefronts.

Fassbender would like to see something else on the site, whether a hotel, offices or apartments. His vision is to see a pedestrian-friendly area with cafes or other amenities at the ground level.

"The province would like to see us do something significant," Fassbender said. He calls the agents for the property owner at least once every three weeks to ask if the time is right for some redevelopment, Fassbender said.

http://www2.canada.com/langleyadvanc...a-8da1f20622ae

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 3:19 PM

Hello
My question is, what is being built next to Capilano Mall in North Vancouver?
It looks like it is a massive project, and i think Save-On is moving in. Well I am guessing that because of the trademark save-on design

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 5:30 PM

must be a shopping plaza - i think thats all the land is zoned for - cause i remember hearing someone wanted to building retail with housing mixed in but it was rejected? or something?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 5:46 PM

I think they are building a Save-On there and will shut down the other one on Marine Dr at Pemberton. Then they will build Residential in its place.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 6:14 AM
Vancouver Moderator

That scuzzy little building on Lougheed next to the Brentwood Skytrain station, has finally been torn down. I don't know what is going to be put there in it's place, but even if it is just parking space, it would be better than that abandoned 1950s automotive shack.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 7:29 AM

no matter how the metro builds, i still feel it is a suburb, because of the overwhelming number of low rise. it feels like you are in a village, and the high rises look extremely peaceful and quiet, nothing suggests city, but un-city. the only place i can think of that is similar to this kind of feeling is hong kong, away from the city core, where condos are built inside mountain ranges.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 1:33 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The Seylynn project now has a website up, not sure if anyone has seen renders so it might be worth a look. Cheers

http://www.seylynnvillage.com/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 2:42 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The Seylynn project now has a website up, not sure if anyone has seen renders so it might be worth a look. Cheers

is that why the Seylynn Hall closed down?

http://www.straight.com/article-227817/goodbye-hall

???

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 5:21 PM
A.H.-Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post

Was at the public hearing this week, and most of the public (including many residents living nearby the site) are in favour of the project. However some have reservations on the buildings' height as they have never seen a pair of 26-28 storey towers in their neighbourhood. Other concerns include its proximity to Hwy. 1 and the amounts of traffic the project's going to bring in the area (again, they are not NIMBY as they gave approval to build Seylynn Village).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
is that why the Seylynn Hall closed down?

http://www.straight.com/article-227817/goodbye-hall

???
Seylynn Hall and Park were going to be 'upgraded' for $2.5M as part of the community amenity package for this proposal. Presumably the closing will only be temporary. I guess depends on what the upgrades entail if the District is to continue sponsoring shows there in the future.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 12:31 AM

Business park planned at edge of Burns Bog

Sandor Gyarmati
The Delta Optimist

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Delta council is expecting a lot of public interest in an application to convert two parcels of farmland in East Delta into an industrial/commercial business park.

Earth King Project 64 Ltd. has applied for an Official Community Plan amendment to build a multi-tenant warehouse with office space, a convention centre and restaurant on two parcels of land at 10555-64th Ave., between 104th Street and Highway 91.

Comprising 15 acres (six hectares), the parcels are zoned agricultural and within Metro Vancouver's Green Zone, however, they are no longer in the provincial Agricultural Land Reserve. One was removed from the ALR in the late 1980s and the other in the early '90s.

According to Delta planning staff, the land, across from the Sunshine Woods golf course, is not actively being farmed, although it's adjacent to land in the ALR.

Community planning director Tom Leathem told council Monday there should be "a fair bit" of public interest in the proposal, due in part to its proximity to Burns Bog. He said the proposal should draw interest from both North Delta and South Delta.

Burns Bog Conservation Society president Eliza Olson told the Optimist the property has a long history. Developing the site, which is essentially part of the bog, would be the "thin edge of the wedge" as another private property owner with land bordering the environmentally sensitive wetlands would also want to develop, she said.

Council decided to send the proposal to Metro Vancouver for comment before considering preliminary approval. A public information meeting is also to be held, likely in September.

If council decides to grant first and second readings, the application would then go to a public hearing. An application would also be required at Metro Vancouver to remove it from the Green Zone.

Earth King Project 64 Ltd. contributed a total of $5,000 to many of the successful council candidates in last fall's municipal election.

, except Heather King, Earth King Project 64 Ltd. would also have to submit its rezoning application to the Ministry of Transportation because the land is close to the highway.

Although the site is not in the ALR, the Agricultural Land Commission will also be consulted, as will B.C. Hydro because a right-of-way runs through the land.

http://www2.canada.com/deltaoptimist...f-c43653d3ab1f

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 12:46 AM

I've heard that construction at the Carlyle in New West (Victoria Hill) has been put on hold. It's sitting at about 5-6 stories above grade right now.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 1:06 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Boo to business parks. Delta has the worst city planning anywhere. It is even outdone by Langley.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
That scuzzy little building on Lougheed next to the Brentwood Skytrain station, has finally been torn down. I don't know what is going to be put there in it's place, but even if it is just parking space, it would be better than that abandoned 1950s automotive shack.
i think they wanted to make it a public plaza

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 4:05 AM

that business park south of marine way is insane - loads of new buildings you can get lost amongst it all - saw offices i never knew we had here like LG

lots of dead ends and un useable roads - they really need some better transit out that way

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 5:21 PM

A tech park in Port Moody? Quite an idea

The Editor,

Re. "PoMo takes aim at high tech biz" (The Tri-City News, June 3).

While I was disappointed that I was unsuccessful in my bid to become mayor of Port Moody during the civic election last November, I am pleased that one of the key points in my campaign — the building of a Technology Park — has been adopted by Coun. Gerry Nuttall.

During the election, I expressed my concern that our city had become too dependent on developers’ fees and property taxes, and that we had to find a way of flattening the tax base by attracting new businesses to the city. My solution was that Port Moody, rather then let Plasco put an incinerator on the old Barnet landfill, should use the site for a business park that would attach green technology companies, possibly an art institute such as Emily Carr, and allow the remaining land to serve as park space.

Coun. Nuttall’s proposal does differ from mine in that it contains two components that I find disturbing:

• Rather then use existing city-owned property, taxpayers might end up buying private land, ensuring that a private landowner wins the “developers lottery.”

• Coun. Nuttall and Mayor Joe Trasolini will get to travel on a $50,000 taxpayer-funded junket to China, a country with an abysmal human rights record.

Shane Kennedy, Port Moody

http://www.bclocalnews.com/opinion/l.../47324882.html

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
If anyone wanted photo proof, I captured this on the 21st.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 10:40 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ nice!

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 6:35 AM

I was a 8-rinks earlier and snapped some pictures of the development at the Burnaby Lake Sports Complex. Anyone know what the story with this place is? Is it on hold?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley