HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 10:22 PM
Derp

Yeah, not really much of a shoulder season to speak of this year
Going to be a long hot summer by the look of things, home A/C installations are going to be going gang busters around here I'm sure, if not already

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Re-posting this to the Shop Talk thread from the arena thread before the screaming starts

Yup it's amazing how things can come together at the 11th hour. I still have the rings on my ass from many a late night Sitting on an upside down bucket in a mechanical room with my laptop on my knees fixing programming glitches

Speaking of that, do you know who got the 15900 on this job ?
No but I can find out. May be automatic since both pcl and Arpis like them

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 2:31 PM
HVAC guru

Yeah Automatic is doing the work. They have a funny product lineup. I would have expected one of the big guys to provide that system

Looks like I'll be working with the latest and greatest Delta system here shortly

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 9:46 PM
HVAC guru

re-posted form the Arena thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
The first Laptop I used for TAB work and Balancing the boxes was a Toshiba T1000 and the only memory was a 3" floppy. I still have that program.

I have been involved with the new Delta system and like it. But thankfully I can now let tech screw with it. ESC has some talented techs as well so other than construction screw ups this should work OK.
^ It's not Orca anymore is it ? That stuff was ubiquitous in Vancouver, Delta had (still has ?) a lock on that market.

This is one of the main reasons I am so partial to JCI. 20 years of backward compatibility, top right AHU101 Controllers from the early 90's, Bottom Right a next generation DX9100 that was developed originally for the European market but is such a powerful and versatile controller it was imported to NA, Top left an NCM350-8 (which is the first gen. supervisory controller) from the late 90's and middle left the latest & greatest NCM4500, which I can flash the RAM to turn into a Network Automation Engine as I roll all my terminal controllers over to Extended Architecture. The entire system fully compatible and running on parallel platforms so I get the solidity of the old JCBasic code with the functionality of the latest G.I. (which is what you saw in my office that one time) and all the features of a modern BMCS

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 2:27 PM
HVAC guru

Smoky in the city this morning. Systems on full return and spray washers overridden on.

Always a shame when you get these conditions when it is cooler out, takes away the ability to economize

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 2:38 PM

Yah, my office smells of smoke this morning so we are at min outside air.

Shall not complain though since I will be at Goldbar WWTP most of the day.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 2:12 AM
HVAC guru

Shop talk ! I'm just setting up some training seminars for the major equipment in a new complex, We are planning to record the seminars but as I have found before the raw video tends to be a little tedious to watch. I'd like to find a place that can edit video and perhaps add some building specific branding.. Nothing crazy. Does anyone have a contact who does that kind of thing ?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 12:51 AM
HVAC guru

For the nerds:

Probably one of the coolest top-of-house mechanical rooms in the city. Just getting cleaned up and the finishing touches completed

It's too bad the glass isn't clear but that's not the aesthetic the ownership was looking for

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 1:03 AM

It's nice to see some of the ductwork I made for the Kelly Ramsay building.

Hey 240glt, does the work from PMI measure up to your standards?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 1:11 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
It's nice to see some of the ductwork I made for the Kelly Ramsay building.

Hey 240glt, does the work from PMI measure up to your standards?
Yes it does. I've said it before and I'd stand by my opinion that Priority is the best MC in the city

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 6:32 AM
Community Guy

They are good.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:46 PM
Derp

Those red pumps...

Love seeing complete mechanical rooms, love seeing how the layout comes together, especially in tight spaces. Looks like another job well done by PM

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 5:56 PM
HVAC guru

^ hey at least they're not Taco

Yes they laid it out nice. Whoever did the piping layout put some good thought into it

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 6:46 PM
Derp

Lol, what can I say, I'm partial to green

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 9:24 PM
HVAC guru

Another one for the HVAC nerds, we finished dialing in the heat wheel the other day and I must say that the performance today has been exceptional. We're recovering about 20C at -16 ambient

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 9:48 PM

Does anyone know why there was a power outage in northeast Edmonton last night for 2 hours?

Blown transformer?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 11:13 PM
Derp

Heard second hand that Rogers Place has had more than one exhaust fan on the roof either fall off or come dislodged from their anchors/bases. Something that made me chuckle and cringe at the same time
Can't imagine the possible damage from one of those behemoths crashing down 14 storeys

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Another one for the HVAC nerds, we finished dialing in the heat wheel the other day and I must say that the performance today has been exceptional. We're recovering about 20C at -16 ambient

Nice to see your working. and look no pre heat.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
Heard second hand that Rogers Place has had more than one exhaust fan on the roof either fall off or come dislodged from their anchors/bases. Something that made me chuckle and cringe at the same time
Can't imagine the possible damage from one of those behemoths crashing down 14 storeys
I have been finding lately that the bolts used to anchor the fans to the bases are usually to small and or insufficient numbers. But if the fan is shaking that much I would definitely have a look at the pulley alignment and see if something is not on the blades. It looks like those are Greenheck fans up there. they are pretty reliable.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 12:01 AM
Derp

I had not heard of something like that before, wasn't told the cause of the failure, but hopefully there's some kind of wholesale inspection going on with the other fans!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton