HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 3:00 AM

Loved your stories, QuantumX. To me there's nothing that makes life fuller than to have cats (or dogs) surrounding you every moment you're at home.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 3:04 AM

Well I thought I knew a lot about animals, but didn't know until recently that cheetahs are very docile and non-aggressive toward humans. Even the ones encountered in the wild are more inclined to ignore humans than to see us as prey. Completely different from lions or tigers.

If you want to see something really sweet, just go to YouTube and do a search on "purring cheetah". I spent about an hour last night going through about every video that's ever been posted on cheetahs.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 4:13 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Well I thought I knew a lot about animals, but didn't know until recently that cheetahs are very docile and non-aggressive toward humans. Even the ones encountered in the wild are more inclined to ignore humans than to see us as prey. Completely different from lions or tigers.

If you want to see something really sweet, just go to YouTube and do a search on "purring cheetah". I spent about an hour last night going through about every video that's ever been posted on cheetahs.
I've come to love all cats, particularly the big ones. I love watching nature shows about big cats, particularly with lion and tiger cubs. It's just the greatest thing to watch them trying to be so ferocious when they are so little and can barely make a squeak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Loved your stories, QuantumX. To me there's nothing that makes life fuller than to have cats (or dogs) surrounding you every moment you're at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
<more tears>

I respect the hell out of the fact you loved your cat so much, especially during his final hours. I truly, truly do.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Let me put things a bit more into perspective here then. My parents divorced when I was 12 when my mother divorced my stepfather. Why they ever even got married is beyond me because there was never anything that I would call love coming from my stepfather. My parents more or less played house and my stepfather used to put me down all the time even though I was the smartest kid in all of elementary school.

But for some reason, he felt that a boy should have a dog, maybe because he always had one or maybe because he knew I would get something from a dog he couldn't give me. Anyway, I learned how to love another living creature through my dogs and the give and take that comes in a loving relationship I learned from animals.

Well, when I became an adult, I never got married and had children. I guess it's no small wonder with the prime example I had in that regard. I never considered having a dog when I became an adult because I've always lived in apartments and condos and I would never dream of keeping a dog in an apartment or condo because growing up we had a big yard to keep my big dogs in. My dogs were not only companions, they actually protected me from neighborhood bullies, but I would never keep a big dog in an apartment.

For many years I went without a pet, not because I didn't like cats. I just didn't have any experience with them and just wasn't sure what to do.

Then, one day, this little kitten that acts like a dog walked into my life. If there is any such thing as something being sent by God, it was Mikey. I can't remember ever feeling lonely again since that day. My apartment was never a cold and lonely place since then because Mikey filled it with the warmth of his presence every single day. He would greet me at the door when I came home late from work to a dark apartment. He followed me everywhere in the apartment. If I wanted to sit down on the sofa and watch TV or read the paper, he would lie on the sofa too. If I went out on the balcony, he would sit out on the balcony too. In the early days, he watched everything I did the way young children want to learn from their parents and instinctively follow them around to learn about the world.

One Saturday night, when I still lived in my high-rise apartment on South Beach, I ordered a pizza. I thought it was kind of strange that Mikey didn't come and get in bed with me once I turned out the lights. I just figured I toss and turn too much for him sometimes. Then, in the morning when I woke up, I also thought it was strange that he didn't come to say "good morning" the way he usually does in his special way. I started calling him and I looked in all his hiding places, and he wasn't there. Then, it finally hit me. "Oh, no! He got out when I paid the pizza delivery guy!" I really started to panic thinking maybe somebody took him downstairs and put him out and now I've lost him or somebody else kept him for themselves. I opened the door to my apartment; no Mikey! I looked down the hall in one direction; no Mikey! I looked down the hall in the other direction, and there he was curled up against the emergency exit. I was so relieved, it was beyond words! That is my most poignant memory of him, that night I almost lost him, and he was still there.

Putting all this history into perspective, you now know why I held him like a baby before he died and how devastating it was even though I knew it was coming soon. When he first started falling down, it was actually on my desk and I thought maybe he had stepped on one my pens and it rolled, but then, he kept having trouble standing, so I knew this was the beginning of the end for us.

Little Gigi below is remarkably like Mikey, while at the same time being uniquely himself. Since so many Americans think Gigi is a girl's name rather than an Italian boy's nickname, I had to name my kitten Giancarlo-Luigi. Yup, that's my kitten's name. I ended up with three cats by accident, but they are great for little Gigi. He has two big brothers to play with and they mock fight, chase each other around the apartment, very lovingly groom each other, and sleep cuddled together.

DSC_0304 by QuantumX, on Flickr
[B][I]"I'm going to bet you that [U]when we're done [/U]-- [U]I don't know when that will be [/U]-- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner 05/22/05[/I][/B]

Last edited by QuantumX; Oct 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 4:14 AM
not a NIMBY

I experienced the thrill of petting Chewbacca, a tame cheetah, in Namibia at the Cheetah Conservation Fund facility which was started by an American, Dr Laurie Marker who has lived in Namibia for a long time researching and saving cheetahs.
They warned us to only pet Chewbacca's head as he didn't like his body touched. His purr was loud and he seemed like a contented cat especially after his running time for the day.
After a good life educating people about cheetahs, he passed away a couple of years ago.
Cheetahs have a lot of dog like characteristics such as non retractable claws for faster acceleration.

http://www.cheetah.org/?nd=ccf_namibia

Chewbacca was purring! by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Last edited by Jimby; Oct 19, 2012 at 5:48 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 5:59 PM
Honored Member

[B][I]"I'm going to bet you that [U]when we're done [/U]-- [U]I don't know when that will be [/U]-- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner 05/22/05[/I][/B]

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 7:58 PM
Bionic Boogie

here's my pussy Miss Pochita Girl...

20121020_153649 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 11:57 PM
not a NIMBY

balcony bound on the 6th floor and still not friends

IMG_0351 by LUMIN8, on Flickr

FeLiX: smells like ass back here!

IMG_0346 by LUMIN8, on Flickr

TaZ: what were you just doing with my tail?

IMG_0349 by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
here's my pussy Miss Pochita Girl...

20121020_153649 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
Wow...that is one spectacular looking kitty.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 9:16 AM
Bionic Boogie

^^^
thanks she is very cute, 3 years old...found her at Petco in midtown manhattan..when she was a kitten her eyes were crossed! cutest thing...she has a different personality than my other cat Little Dewey!!!

He was born in the country side of Pennsylvania and he is 4 years old! Had them both since kittens!!!

20121010_181728 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 1:28 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Dewey looks so much like my Sierra it's not even funny. Just take away the bit of brown/tan around his nose, and there you go!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:57 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Dewey looks so much like my Sierra it's not even funny. Just take away the bit of brown/tan around his nose, and there you go!

Aaron (Glowrock)
I like Dewey a lot!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 6:57 PM
Bionic Boogie

^^^

Little Dewey says :thanks for liking me

20121021_135148 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

wow he does look like Sierra!!!!!

Quote:
New one of my little creature, Sierra, doing what he does best!

SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 8:54 PM
Bionic Boogie

Glowrock are you from Pennsylvania?
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 1:00 AM
Honored Member

Brotherly love!

Big brother Bishop grooming little brother Gigi!

CSC_0350 by QuantumX, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 1:48 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
Glowrock are you from Pennsylvania?
I live in Pittsburgh now, yes. Been here for a year and a half, roughly. Where am I originally from? Southern California. Been in SoCal, Manchester NH, Denver, back to Bakersfield CA, Houston, and now Pittsburgh.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 8:47 AM
Bionic Boogie

^^^ So Sierra is from PA???
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 5:05 PM

Two bobcats in a Joshua tree in my yard this morning watching for rabbits.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:08 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

That is sweet, the bobcats.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 5:41 PM
Honored Member

I think my boy in the middle, Scooter, sort of looks like a bobcat. He is certainly the wildest of the three. Loves to go outside.

DSC_0282 by QuantumX, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 7:43 PM

I may as well post some more of my cats seeing as they're very Halloween appropriate colours

300/366 - Just Kids by entheos_fog, on Flickr

and Harriet with her mini pumpkin:

280/366 - Harriet and Her Wee Pumpkin by entheos_fog, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography