HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:55 AM

I have mixed feelings about this project.
I like the idea of cleaning up the lake and turning the lake into an asset insted of just a large puddle of water in the background that nobody wants to visit. I also like the ambition of this project although, I agree it makes it very unrealistic.
However, I don't want the lake to become criss crossed with causways like the Great Salt Lake. I think the island being proposed looks much too large. I would prefer most of the lake remain natural as it was before it became polluted.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 1:31 AM
They all float down here

Yeah that has about as much of a chance of happening as me voting for Trump in 2020.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 1:55 AM
BANNED

If this happens I’ll stop using toilet paper and buy a bidet. Actually I’ll stop cleaning altogether...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 2:33 AM

Capitol Motel

Plans are moving forward on a mixed-use, mixed-income project to replace the Capitol Motel on State Street. This project could have a huge catalytic effect on this part of the city.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 4:12 AM
They all float down here

I like how that article points out several high-profiled murders for Capitol Motel and only links to one murder that happened seven years ago. Sensationalism at its worst.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I like how that article points out several high-profiled murders for Capitol Motel and only links to one murder that happened seven years ago. Sensationalism at its worst.
Dude, you can only link to one thing at a time. But the article now reads "at least one high profile murder." But to call this article "sensationalism at its worst" is extremely hyperbolic and ironic considering what you are complaining about, lol.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Plans are moving forward on a mixed-use, mixed-income project to replace the Capitol Motel on State Street. This project could have a huge catalytic effect on this part of the city.
Issac I think I am missing something. When your article says it will be built up to street level I interpret that as the building going to the sidewalk, but that rendering shows a parking strip between. What am I missing? Also, thanks, you do a hell of a job. I will keep subscribing.

Last edited by Always Sunny in SLC; Jan 11, 2018 at 5:26 AM. Reason: Issac does a helluva job

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Issac I think I am missing something. When your article says it will be built up to street level I interpret that as the building going to the sidewalk, but that rendering shows a parking strip between. What am I missing? Also, thanks, you do a hell of a job. I will keep subscribing.
You aren't missing anything. The developer said that the project will have limited setbacks. If you notice the preliminary rendering shows street engagement but the floor plan shows surface parking, lol. Hopefully, they'll work the discrepancy out before construction starts. I updated the post to note that because of the site's zoning they developers will need to get height approval from the PC to build four stories. I can't imagine our current commission approving the project with surface stalls along State Street.

Last edited by asies1981; Jan 11, 2018 at 5:55 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 7:31 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
Wow... fake news is a real thing. They must be running out of stuff to report.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I have mixed feelings about this project.
I like the idea of cleaning up the lake and turning the lake into an asset insted of just a large puddle of water in the background that nobody wants to visit. I also like the ambition of this project although, I agree it makes it very unrealistic.
However, I don't want the lake to become criss crossed with causways like the Great Salt Lake. I think the island being proposed looks much too large. I would prefer most of the lake remain natural as it was before it became polluted.
I agree RC14. Criss crossing the lake with causeways would be a big and visually ugly mistake. As the population of the Wasatch Front grows the Lake will become an extremely valuable recreation resource. Also, the shoreline value will only continue to climb into the stratosphere. They don't need to stick an island in the middle of the Lake in order to fund its continuing clean up. A lot of progress is already being made to resolve its major reasons for decline this past century. As everyone knows the major issue has been the carp population. Carp have destroyed the natural lake bottom vegetation and habitat. Here's a link to one of the more recent 2017 articles about the ongoing effort and success in removing the carp issue.

Regarding algae blooms, which is the other major issue. Algae blooms are a nation wide problem. It would seem the major culprit is a result of the waste water treatment plants release into the lake of treated waste water. The good news is a lot of heads are involved on a local and national level to resolve the problem.

After many years, Utah Lake's carp removal project starting to see some desired results

Katie England, Daily Herald - http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...23385f3af.html

...Vegetation monitoring has been a part of the project all along, and for years none of the desired type of plants were found. “That all changed last spring when we went out and started to find some of these submerged vegetation beds out in the lake,” Mills said...

...More than 25 million pounds of removed carp and $4.9 million later, biologists are already beginning to see some of those desired results — including the return of vegetation crucial to the June suckers’ continued survival.
The original goal was to remove 5 million pounds of carp each year in order to reduce the population enough for the vegetation to come back, said Mike Mills, coordinator for the June sucker recovery program. Though the 5 million per year goal has never quite been reached, the density of the carp population in the lake has dropped drastically...
...Carp are responsible for that lack of habitat because of the way they feed off the bottom of the lake. They tear up the bottom as they feed, destroying the underwater plant life, like pond weed and duck weed that provide refuge habitat for young June suckers...
...Vegetation monitoring has been a part of the project all along, and for years none of the desired type of plants were found. “That all changed last spring when we went out and started to find some of these submerged vegetation beds out in the lake,” Mills said...

Last edited by delts145; Jan 11, 2018 at 2:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 3:13 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Dude, you can only link to one thing at a time. But the article now reads "at least one high profile murder." But to call this article "sensationalism at its worst" is extremely hyperbolic and ironic considering what you are complaining about, lol.
Nah. Not really. Just want to portray the area accurately is all.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 3:14 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I agree RC14. Criss crossing the lake with causeways would be a big and visually ugly mistake. As the population of the Wasatch Front grows the Lake will become an extremely valuable recreation resource. Also, the shoreline value will only continue to climb into the stratosphere. They don't need to stick an island in the middle of the Lake in order to fund its continuing clean up. A lot of progress is already being made to resolve its major reasons for decline this past century. As everyone knows the major issue has been the carp population. Carp have destroyed the natural lake bottom vegetation and habitat. Here's a link to one of the more recent 2017 articles about the ongoing effort and success in removing the carp issue.

Regarding algae blooms, which is the other major issue. Algae blooms are a nation wide problem. It would seem the major culprit is a result of the waste water treatment plants release into the lake of treated waste water. The good news is a lot of heads are involved on a local and national level to resolve the problem.

After many years, Utah Lake's carp removal project starting to see some desired results

Katie England, Daily Herald - http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...23385f3af.html

...More than 25 million pounds of removed carp and $4.9 million later, biologists are already beginning to see some of those desired results — including the return of vegetation crucial to the June suckers’ continued survival.
The original goal was to remove 5 million pounds of carp each year in order to reduce the population enough for the vegetation to come back, said Mike Mills, coordinator for the June sucker recovery program. Though the 5 million per year goal has never quite been reached, the density of the carp population in the lake has dropped drastically...
...Carp are responsible for that lack of habitat because of the way they feed off the bottom of the lake. They tear up the bottom as they feed, destroying the underwater plant life, like pond weed and duck weed that provide refuge habitat for young June suckers...

They should send all of the carp to homeless shelters for people to eat

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 10:47 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Yeah that has about as much of a chance of happening as me voting for Trump in 2020.
Careful what you say, Comrade.

Never say never. Anything can happen...

Yeah, no way in hell is that happening.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 2:41 AM
Ironweed

To add to the insane project ideas, it appears that what many of us suspected is true. State officials want Draper to get the Amazon site:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46235210&ni...n-amazon-pitch

I sincerely hope the state proposal fails, just like the state government does on a regular basis. Promoting more traffic and sprawl on the south side of the valley.... Just genius stuff.

Here to hoping Amazon II actually lands in a city, and not some sprawled out suburb. Go Atlanta, Denver, or any other real city!!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:01 AM
They all float down here

Not only that, but all three sites were suburban. Not one site even remotely close to the airport or downtown. This is why Utah fails so spectacularly sometimes. Our leaders have to be some of the most inept in the nation.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 7:52 AM

Really? These were the top three?

It’s “close to highways and other infrastructure”?! Therefore it’s a “logical location”?!

Morons.

Really, where along the Wasatch front is not near a highway? Regardless, isn’t Amazon looking to host their hq2 in a city with good transit...you know, the very thing that allows you to ditch your car? We don’t need 50,000 more cars on the road.

http://www.therepublic.com/2018/01/1...ic-money-utah/

Looks like you guys beat me to it. I agree Ironweed, if these are the only options, Utah will be better off without it.

Last edited by Old&New; Jan 12, 2018 at 8:56 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 9:06 AM

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:47 AM

Boston is now making even more sense to me than Atlanta.

Amazon may have dropped a clue about its new headquarters

Aaron Pressman - January 11, 2018 - MSN Money http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...z&ocid=U453DHP

Amazon is in talks to lease 500,000 square feet of offices in Boston’s Fort Point Channel neighborhood, a hot destination for tech companies, with an option to double the amount of space also being discussed, the Boston Globe reported Thursday. The search started before Amazon publicly disclosed its HQ2 search, the paper said.

That sounds a lot like the first stage of the plan Amazon laid out for HQ2. Though the second headquarters is ultimately projected to house 50,000 workers in a $5 billion, 8-million square foot campus by 2027, Amazon said the first phase of the project would be to open about 500,000 square feet of space in 2019 in the new city...

https://www.google.com/maps/

http://lecomtedominique.com/

Downtown Boston from across Fort Point Channel

Last edited by delts145; Jan 12, 2018 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 1:02 PM

Great feather in the cap for the Wasatch Front. Thanks for reporting Isaac. I was also impressed that the Milken Institute ranked Provo MSA #1 and Salt Lake City MSA #4 for best metros for Seniors.

...More than 80 percent of Americans age 65-plus live in metropolitan areas,1 and nearly 90 percent of older adults in the U.S. want to age in their homes and communities.2 Thus, the "Best Cities for Successful Aging" index is not intended to identify the locales to which older adults should retire. Instead, the index and report are designed to highlight the nation's most livable metropolitan areas—those that enable an optimal quality of life for their aging citizens.

"Cities are on the front lines of the largest demographic shift in history," said Paul Irving, Chairman of the Center for the Future of Aging. "Lifespans are extending into eight, nine, and ten decades, and older adults increasingly are seeking lifelong engagement and purpose. They expect their cities and communities to support their changing needs."

To evaluate the metropolitan areas that foster the best overall quality of life for older adults, the Milken Institute utilized public data--83 indicators across nine categories. These categories included general livability, health care, wellness, financial security, living arrangements, employment, education, transportation and convenience, and community engagement...

2017 "Best Cities for Successful Aging" Rankings

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300423392.html

Rankings – Large Metros

1..Provo, UT

2..Madison, WI

3..Durham-Chapel Hill, NC

4..Salt Lake City, UT

5..Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA

6..Austin-Round Rock, TX

7..Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA

8..Jackson, MS

9..Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH

10..San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA

The Milken Institute also gave the Wasatch Front, Salt Lake City and the U. of U. specifically pretty cool bragging rights in this prestigious category!

The Milken Institute Ranks the Best U.S. Universities for Technology Transfer
- New Report Cites University Research Funding, Technology Transfer as Catalysts for Economic Growth https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300442457.html

University of Utah #1 out of more than 200 ranked - BYU #4

LOS ANGELES, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Milken Institute today released a new report ranking more than 200 universities across the United States for their prowess in developing basic research into new technologies, products and companies – a process known as "technology transfer."

The report "Concept to Commercialization: The Best Universities for Technology Transfer" also carries with it a clear policy recommendation: American research universities are among the nation's most powerful engines for domestic economic growth, and funding to sustain their research brings strong returns in the form of new industries, businesses and jobs.

"American economic vitality is fueled by invention," said Ross DeVol, chief research officer for the Milken Institute, who also authored the original 2006 study on the topic. "As a society, we understand our universities as the training ground for the next generation of leaders and doers, but we often overlook the benefits these institutions impart simply by bringing new ideas to life. Our study shows the impact of university research both locally and nationally is profound, and needs our support."

The report found that university research funding supports the creation of both middle- and high-skill industry jobs through innovation, commercialization and technology transfer, with varied and significant multiplier effects. As such, it makes four key policy recommendations:[/B]

Maintain basic scientific research funding. Basic research provides long-term economic benefits by allowing universities to take on research that has a low probability of quick commercial success, but potential to deliver a high reward and to create whole new industries.
•Incentivize technology transfer through a new federal commercialization fund. The federal government should increase research funding under a special commercialization pool. Universities demonstrating greater commercialization success in the market should receive higher funding in this program.
•Increase technology transfer capacity through federal matching grants. The federal government should commence a matching grant program with states to fund an increase in staff and resources in technology transfer offices (TTOs). Higher rates of academic entrepreneurship are essential to reviving declining start-up rates and productivity across the economy.
•Increase technology transfer efficiency by adopting best practices. At the state level, policies should be implemented that incentivize the adoption of best practices in commercialization at public universities, including TTOs. Efficiency gaps between universities outside of the top 25 in our Technology Transfer and Commercialization Index should be narrowed

The top 25 institutions by ranking.

...DeVol, along with Milken Institute co-authors Joe Lee and Minoli Ratnatunga, ranked each university based on four standard indicators of technology transfer success: patents issued, licenses issued, licensing income, and start-ups formed, relying on data collected by the Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM) via the AUTM's Annual Licensing Activity Survey...

Rank...Institution...Indexed Score

#1...University of Utah...100

2...Columbia University...97.83

3...University of Florida...97.66

#4...Brigham Young University...97.58

5...Stanford University...95.6

6...University of Pennsylvania...95.39

7...University of Washington...95.11

8...Massachusetts Institute of Technology ...94.33

9...California Institute of Technology...94.11

10...Carnegie Mellon University...93.54

11...New York University...93.41

12...Purdue University...93.02

13...University of Texas System...92.88

14...University of Minnesota...92.75

15...University of California, Los Angeles...92.13

16...University of Michigan...91.58

17...Cornell University...89.49

18...University of Illinois Chicago Urbana...89.37

19...University of South Florida...88.93

20...University of California, San Diego...88.55

21...Arizona State University...88.49

22...University of Central Florida...88.21

23...Northwestern University...87.95

24...University of Pittsburgh...87.75

25...North Carolina State University...87.73

Last edited by delts145; Jan 12, 2018 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:23 PM

It would be great if Amazon were to give feedback to all the cities/states that submitted proposals but weren't picked. I realize there are too many but the response wouldn't have to be extensive. For Utah's they could just say "We wanted an urban campus, your proposals were suburban, so... yeah."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West