HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

399 Fremont Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 7:12 AM

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that this tower will be quite a bit taller than 400 feet. The 400-foot height limit only applies to the roof line, and is exclusive of mechanical penthouses and screening. Unfortunately, I can't find anything revealing the total height of the tower.

Just eyeballing it, the crown seems to be about 7 stories in height, which could add another 60-70 feet to the total height above 400. You can see in the latest redesign that the roofline stayed the same, but the total tower got taller:

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 7:35 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that this tower will be quite a bit taller than 400 feet. The 400-foot height limit only applies to the roof line, and is exclusive of mechanical penthouses and screening. Unfortunately, I can't find anything revealing the total height of the tower.

Just eyeballing it, the crown seems to be about 7 stories in height, which could add another 60-70 feet to the total height above 400. You can see in the latest redesign that the roofline stayed the same, but the total tower got taller
If you look at the renderings on the previous page, it appears to be only slightly shorter than ORH 2!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 3:58 PM

I've been following this one over the past year, occasionally checking in on the DBI permit database. Exactly one year ago, the developers changed the design and got a one-year extension to start construction that expired today.

They've been working to get their permits issued, but it's been taking a very long time. Yesterday, just as the extension was about to expire, they finally got their building permit issued, and paid for another extension through December 25, 2013:

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 7:23 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the update, minesweeper. Do you know it they've received their shoring and excavation permits? Are those the final permits needed to start?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 11:34 PM

Thanks minesweeper. Love this building. It looks like the glass on low-rise portion of the building will be reminiscent of 55 Ninth street aka AVA - both are designed by the same architect (SCB).

Source: www.socketsite.com

55 Ninth Street by Apollo's Light, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Thanks for the update, minesweeper. Do you know it they've received their shoring and excavation permits? Are those the final permits needed to start?
Yeah, I think that would be the last step. It doesn't look like they have them yet though. I guess that's what the six month extension is for.

The only other recent permit was for shoring along the lot line for the 333 Fremont project.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 6:46 AM
Surrounded by Nature

399 vs 375

Why does this thread list the address as 375 Fremont when it is actually 399? Isn't 375 the Californian, another project?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 12:06 PM
Sonoma Strong

Look at that reflection if One Rincon!

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 3:23 PM

^oh yeah, I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Why does this thread list the address as 375 Fremont when it is actually 399? Isn't 375 the Californian, another project?
It looks like the building will include both addresses, with the midrise at the location of 375 Fremont, and the tower located at 399 Fremont. And the Californian was the old name for this same tower, back when the design was different. Check the first post of this thread

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 6:34 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
^oh yeah, I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. It looks like the building will include both addresses, with the midrise at the location of 375 Fremont, and the tower located at 399 Fremont. And the Californian was the old name for this same tower, back when the design was different. Check the first post of this thread
Got it--thanks--it's been such a long haul on this one! There is one more tall tower planned for the area though and its design has morphed too.

Last edited by viewguysf; Jun 17, 2013 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 9:19 PM

Photos 6/16/2013

They didn't waste any time posting the newly issued permit:

What the site looks like now:

Bonus shot of 333 Fremont:

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 2:59 PM

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 12:02 AM
She needs her space

In other news, Socketsite blurbs about the similar 399 Fremont - that its latest extension is coming due. A reader comments that UDR purchased the development rights.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 5:07 PM
Droppin' Loads

It's the same building. Socketsite has this as 399 Fremont, but the title here says 375 Fremont. Not sure what's going on here.

I really hope this one gets built. It will go great with the other Rincon Hill towers.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 6:34 PM
Build Baby Build

I dig the crown, especially if the glass is to be lit from the interior at night like in the renders. One thing SF really does need is more interesting crowns.

From a page back.

I also get the feeling that this is the type of building that will look better in person than in the renders.

I am going to put forward a guess that the low rise will be 375 Fremont and the tower is 399 Fremont, which may explain some prior confusion.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
I dig the crown, especially if the glass is to be lit from the interior at night like in the renders. One thing SF really does need is more interesting crowns.

From a page back.

I also get the feeling that this is the type of building that will look better in person than in the renders.

I am going to put forward a guess that the low rise will be 375 Fremont and the tower is 399 Fremont, which may explain some prior confusion.
True that

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 7:05 AM
She needs her space

Just another view of the permit...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 8:57 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Just another view of the permit...
Since the permit is for 42 stories, can we get the thread header corrected?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 5:58 AM

UDR reported their 3Q earnings today, but there wasn't any real news about 399 Fremont, except a few oblique references in the transcript:

Quote:
As detailed on Attachment 11 or Page 23 of our supplement, we are actively in process of reloading our development pipeline with a number of projects. We expect to announce a new start or 2 later in the fourth quarter or early first quarter of 2014. Additional starts can be expected as 2014 unfolds. For us, development continues to represent a very positive risk-adjusted use of capital.
One of those projects in Attachment 11 is 399 Fremont, which is in the "Design Development" phase. Based on when their building permit expires (12/25/2013), it makes sense that this will break ground before the end of the year.

Some other items of note from UDR's earnings call about San Francisco:

Quote:
San Francisco remains strong despite some difficult seasonal slowing. We are seeing good demand in the city proper and our Mission Bay development is pre-leasing very well.
Quote:
Mission Bay, the initial deliveries are going to be this quarter as scheduled, but given the high number of deliveries that we had, unit deliveries in November and December from a construction standpoint, we simply pushed some of these units into January and February.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 2:51 AM

Here's a sign of progress. The excavation and shoring permit was filed this week (but it's still waiting to be issued):

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive