HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 12:40 AM

Thumbs down The new OFFICIAL Sochi 2014 Logo

Logo for Sochi Games Encourages Pointing and Clicking
By JEFFREY MARCUS

In the coming months, you’ll be seeing the Vancouver 2010 logo on TV, on the Web and in print as athletes and organizers make their final push for the Winter Games. Looking ahead another four years, organizers of the 2014 Games in Sochi unveiled their latest branding campaign in Russia on Tuesday.

“It’s very appealing. It’s very creative, innovative,” the International Olympic Committee president, Jacques Rogge, said at the unveiling. “I think it will appeal especially to the young population.”

The logo, which is more text than image, incorporates for the first time the Games’ Internet domain, sochi.ru.

The design was created by the firm Interbrand at a cost less than the $650,000 spent on London’s logo for the 2012 Summer Games, said Dmitry Chernyshenko, the C.E.O. of the Sochi organizing committee. Interbrand does design work for international companies like AT&T, Dunkin Donuts and Stolichnaya vodka.

Brand Republic, a U.K. media and marketing site, asked design mavens to critique the Sochi logo. The response is mixed.

“My first reaction was thank goodness it’s not trying to be desperately hip,” said Richard Morris, the design director for Identica. “I think it’s just a good, commonsense idea. And at least everyone will know Sochi is in Russia. Job done.”

David Harris, the creative director for Wunderman, is not a fan. “What has been heralded as a ‘ground breaking logo’ for the Sochi Winter Games looks to me disappointingly, not very ‘ground breaking’,” he said. “On a positive note it looks infinitely more stylish than the controversial London 2012 jigsaw logo but nowhere near as memorable.”

http://vancouver2010.blogs.nytimes.c...-and-clicking/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]