HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 2:43 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

My opinion of the by-law crawl is that it's a great idea, but too little too late. I'll happily join in and help prevent further losses. However, as I've said before, this should have all happened a year ago. As was pointed out to me last night, people knew of the state of the theatre, people from this forum infact have been in it and posted photos. Which I can remember from before I moved here. Nothing was done.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 12:50 AM
It's Hammer Time

‘Exploratory’ demo work set to start on Century Theatre

January 15, 2010
Nicole O’Reilly
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/705835

The crew hired to bring down the historic Century Theatre will start exploratory demolition work this weekend, says the city.

“They have to get a handle on what they’re up against,” said city spokesperson Debbie Spence.

Actual demolition will likely begin at the Mary Street property on Monday, she added.

It will be piecemeal, Spence said. Crews will work manually, removing bricks by hand.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 8:33 PM

It has begun!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 10:22 PM
Needs more coffee...

I wonder if any of the signs/etc. could be saved if people wanted to take them. Might be an interesting piece of Hamilton to save.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 6:08 PM
It's Hammer Time

The owner will keep the signs. Apparently the owner wants to build a replica and re-install the signs back up.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 6:56 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The owner will keep the signs. Apparently the owner wants to build a replica and re-install the signs back up.
You should start a 'Believe it When I See it' thread for 'projects' like this.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 9:01 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

Does he need another 10 years ?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 9:04 PM
It's Hammer Time

Who knows, all I know is that he's keeping the signs.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 9:33 PM
Hammer'd

Yah. Lets see if LIUNA still has those window details from the Balfour. Last I saw them they were sitting in a pile of junk behind the Thomas building.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
I wonder if any of the signs/etc. could be saved if people wanted to take them. Might be an interesting piece of Hamilton to save.
Check Mr. Used in about 6 months.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 12:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

Sums it up pretty good....

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 3:50 PM
Needs more coffee...

Hah - i just talked to that guy on the bus this morning, then saw that picture ten minutes later.

This Century thing is a shame.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 3:08 AM

is this gone yet?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 5:44 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
is this gone yet?
Almost. Bit longer, I reckon.

"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 7:56 PM

I know 100 yr old homes are double brick construction, but is that outer wall 4 brick widths thick? Was that standard for theatre construction back then? That's an awful lot of old brick stock...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 12:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

The end of the Century

January 27, 2010
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/712528

The old Century Theatre building on Mary Street is almost completely torn down.

The demolition of the historic theatre started last week, and crews brought down the main building around the stage area yesterday.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 4:31 PM
Needs more coffee...

i've been stopping by at 9 p.m. ish the last few night to look at it.. amazing how fast it comes down. this morning they were tearing down the final corner....

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 1:46 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
is this gone yet?
Yes. It is, as of this evening.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 2:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

Curtain to rise on new Lyric Theatre

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...-lyric-theatre

Hamilton’s historic Lyric Theatre is about to be reborn.

In name, anyway.

A year after the vaudeville-era building was torn down, the Lyric Theatre name is being resurrected through the purchase of another venerable city performance venue, the Westside Concert Theatre.

On Friday, local theatre producers Rick MacKenzie and Patrick Brennan bought the 300-seat building, which started life a movie hall in the 1930s, from fellow Hamilton arts stalwarts Colin Lapsley and Loren Lieberman, executive director of the Festival of Friends.

MacKenzie said he wants the King Street West theatre to honour the mandate of its nearly century-old namesake, also known as the Century, on Mary Street.

“We want to anchor what we do in the spirit of vaudeville,” he said, referring to the variety show performances popular in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

MacKenzie envisions at least one night a week reserved for variety shows featuring emerging local performers who want to tread the boards. Larger music, theatre and dance productions will likely fill the new Lyric Theatre’s weekend bill.

“We want to showcase all of the great talent we have right here in Hamilton,” he said. “We want our emerging artists meeting up with master artists.”

MacKenzie declined to say what he paid for the aging former movie hall, but estimated he and his partner will probably spend a total of $600,000 on the building, including major renovations.

There is plenty to fix.

“The building needs some tender loving care, no question,” he said, pointing out the leaky roof alone will likely cost $100,000 to repair.

The original exterior of the two-storey building is partially covered and mostly painted black, a look MacKenzie would like to change. “It’s looking pretty tired at the moment,” he said. “We’d like to make it friendly and appealing.”

Parking could also be a challenge.

The building has no lot of its own, but MacKenzie hopes to reach an understanding with local business owners interested in catering to theatre customers.

He also noted King Street is well-served by public transit and will be in a “fantastic position” should the much-debated LRT line become a reality.

One thing MacKenzie isn’t worried about is red tape.

Former owners Lapsley and Lieberman battled the city over the zoning of the Westside, which didn’t allow for a bar licence even though the building had started out as a theatre.

The zoning was eventually amended, but only after months of lost shows.

Lieberman declined to comment on the history of the theatre or his reasons for selling, calling the move a “simple real estate transaction.”

The new owners may eventually seek a bar licence that allows them to serve a full-capacity crowd of 300 people, MacKenzie said.

Right now, the 8,400-square-foot facility’s licence only allows alcohol to be served when the 180-seat “cabaret configuration” is in use.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 2:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

Lyric Century Apartments | ? | 5 fl | Approved -> Lyric Century | ? | ? | Planning

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton