HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
Huh? Bass Pro being announced tomorrow and no commentary???
mayor said this plan is better and more exciting than the one announced 3 years ago.

higgins mentioned a great lakes museum and an aquarium will be built along with it.

oh boy (?!)

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believeinbflo View Post
mayor said this plan is better and more exciting than the one announced 3 years ago.

higgins mentioned a great lakes museum and an aquarium will be built along with it.

oh boy (?!)
Where did you hear that from?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 11:51 PM

the video/audio clips were on channel 2 news

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 12:17 AM

If this is all true then i might just cry. Years later and looks like its happening w/ spin off development. I cant wait till tommorow. With all sorts of people bitching about having bass pro I have to say that it is critical to get a big NATIONAL retailer downtown. National retailers draw people like it or not.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 11:58 AM

Bass Pro landed — at last
Central Wharf site will be the location of multilevel store
By Sharon Linstedt NEWS STAFF REPORTER
Updated: 03/30/07 6:40 AM

After six years of casting its line, Buffalo has finally hooked a Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World store for the downtown waterfront.

The long-sought retailer has signed a predevelopment agreement for a multilevel, period-style store on the former Central Wharf site along the Buffalo River.

The 100,000-square-foot store — about half the size of the Bass Pro store originally proposed for the nearby Memorial Auditorium site — will be flanked by an Erie Canal Museum, 50-foot-wide waterside boardwalk, a public plaza, marketplace and a 300- car parking ramp.

Bass Pro President Jim Hagale said the retailer intends to be “respectful of the historical significance” of what he called a “very special location.”

“Our store design will pay tribute to the heritage and national importance of the Erie Canal Terminus,” he said.

“I can’t think of a more appropriate type of retail business to be located on the water’s edge than Bass Pro Shops,” said Anthony Gioia, chairman of the Erie Canal Harbor Develop-

ment Corp., which brokered the deal. “Bass Pro loves the idea of being on the water, and we feel the same way.”

The Bass Pro store will serve as anchor tenant for Canal Side, which is billed as a $275 million mixed-use development that will fill the Erie Canal Harbor neighborhood with a mix of shops, restaurants, entertainment venues, museums, a hotel, and residential and office space. Planners are predicting the reborn haborfront will attract 5 million visitors a year.

The agreement also provides the City of Buffalo $10 million in state money to demolish the idle Aud, with promises of additional funding to meet costs in excess of that allotment.

“What started as a one-dimensional project in the Aud has evolved into a visionary and far-reaching development plan that will finally allow for Buffalo’s waterfront to reach its potential,” Gioia said.

The harbor development board will meet in special session today to approve the agreement. That vote will set in motion a final design and environmental review process aimed at a spring 2008 construction start.

“This is a significant project that will both energize development in Buffalo and connect the downtown area to the waterfront,” Gov. Eliot L. Spitzer said.

Mayor Byron W. Brown called the project blueprints “very appealing.”

Under terms of the agreement, the harbor development corporation will invest $25 million in public funds to prepare the riverfront site and construct the shell of a three-story retail building, designed to resemble the original Central Wharf terminal that stood on the property in the mid-1800s.

Bass Pro Shops will spend approximately $15 million to build out the interior of the store and also will pay $300,000 a year in fees to support Canal Side.

Over the course of the proposed 20-year lease, those fees would total $6 million. And if Bass Pro exercises all lease renewals, that sum would climb to $15 million over 50 years.

The store, which will employ about 1,000 full- and part-time staffers, is expected to generate $3 million annually in sales tax. The agreement also calls on the harbor development corporation to construct a 20,000- square-foot Erie Canal Museum and a 30,000-square-foot public market.

Bass Pro and the development agency are thrilled about putting Bass Pro on the Central Wharf — adjacent to the historic, rewatered Commercial Slip and other artifacts of Buffalo’s Erie Canal heyday.

But preservationists have serious concerns.

Tim Tielman, of the Campaign for Greater Buffalo History, Architecture & Culture, called the plan “an abomination.”

“This couldn’t be farther from an homage to the Central Wharf. It’s a themed retail environment designed by bureaucrats gone wild,” he said.

Tielman predicted the battle to retain the historic site as a public plaza with small-scale development will be fought beyond the preservation community.

“Anyone who loves the waterfront will hate this,” he added.

Rep. Brian Higgins, D-Buffalo, who is a champion the area’s waterfront redevelopment efforts, disagrees with that assessment.

“[The proposal] preserves the integrity of our city’s great history and maintains public access for residents and tourists in a setting that draws people downtown seven days a week,” Higgins said.

Harbor District Associates, LLC, an affiliate of Buffalo-born Benderson Development Co., also has signed onto the deal and will act as Canal Side’s master developer. In addition to overseeing the projects on the Central Wharf site, it will lead a mix of private and public developments on the site of the Donovan State Office Building, the Aud and the vacant Webster Block in front of HSBC Arena.

Buffalo’s fishing expedition to land Bass Pro began in July 2001, when former Mayor Anthony M. Masiello went to Washington, D.C., to lobby the federal delegation for funds to create something then called the Erie Canal Harbor Urban Entertainment District.

In November 2004, Masiello’s dream appeared to have come true, when Bass Pro announced it would turn the Aud into a 250,000-square-foot store with a museum, restaurant and hotel. But by mid-2005, negotiations toward a binding lease were at a standstill.

The Bass Pro drive took on new life in August 2005, when the local harbor development panel was established to put a finer point on talks with the retailer. While success seemed likely through fall 2006, updated information on the physical state of the Aud and cost estimates associated with its conversion caused the ambitious plan to go belly up.

On Dec. 18, 2006, Bass Pro was given 30 days to fish or cut bait, but as the deadline expired, the planners shifted their focus to the Central Wharf site, a fresh idea that kept the retailer talking.

http://www.buffalonews.com/101/story/42941.html

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 1:13 PM

I think it can be done right, I like it.
Love how they left out the roadbed of the skyway

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 5:26 PM
welcome to the madness

Whew! Can you feel the love? There were some great stories today in the Snooze. The Bass Pro deal got a whole lot sweeter. A new boardwalk and a30,000 sq ft public market included--awesome! Money included for Aud demo--nice! Somehow we got a whole list of wish list projects included with bass pro and now it's a signed deal. Watch out for preservationists though! Higgins can give'em the old South Buffalo Irish treatment if they foul this up!

Did anyone else see that an architectural team is going to draw up new blueprints for the HH Richardson building? Maybe once we get those plans we can figure out what to do with it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 9:54 PM
NIMBYcrusher9000

I hate the idea of an on-site parking facility though.... it means a lot of people will visit the store without even exiting the building and walking the streets

Oh btw, Here is another place to discuss Buffalo urbanism, development, preservation, sustainability, photos, ect. I just started up this new forum, the builtbuffalo forums :
http://www.builtbuffalo.com/forums/

Stop in and say Hi

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 10:26 PM

Quinn addressed the parking. There will be 300 spaces directly attached to the BPro store, they need 1000 for BPro alone. The balance will be across Main Street and at the Aud site- meaning people will have to WALK to BPro, bringing live bodies onto the streets and passing the other stores:

http://download.gannett.edgesuite.ne...arkingplan.jpg

I think the number they mentioned was 80,000 of restaurant space, the balance retail. There will even be a set-aside of money to be used to lure other unique retailers into the project.

Higgins-

Site Plan- sorry not very clear:

Last edited by westcoastperspective; Mar 31, 2007 at 12:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 1:19 AM

Its better than I ever expected. Lets start friggen digging. And screw the people bitching about the parking because who wants to walk 5 blocks in the snow with their bags. In addition tear down the skyway!! no one wants bird poop and slush on them while shopping too.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 1:52 AM

I agree, and after seeing these plans, it seems like they have to take the skyway down if they want to get any of the stores built. Or maybe they are thinking the roofs of the buildings will hold up the deck? I dunno. It makes me wonder why they didn't clear up the situation to us already but for now I will just enjoy the fact that something is actually going to be done. This along with the new courthouse and possibly Issa's tower is really going to add some shine to the city that everyone wants to see.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 6:47 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Get it???

Awesome lofts by the way.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregduh View Post
I agree, and after seeing these plans, it seems like they have to take the skyway down if they want to get any of the stores built. Or maybe they are thinking the roofs of the buildings will hold up the deck? I dunno. It makes me wonder why they didn't clear up the situation to us already but for now I will just enjoy the fact that something is actually going to be done. This along with the new courthouse and possibly Issa's tower is really going to add some shine to the city that everyone wants to see.
All of this is very exciting, but lets not start slaping each other on the ass just yet. The preservationist haven't begun to clown yet.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 4:20 PM
welcome to the madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post

Get it???

Awesome lofts by the way.
Took me a minute--LOL!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 2:17 AM

As for Bass Pro I'm going to say that should this be built as it’s designed now then GO BUFFALO!!! Finally a national retailer downtown and a cool one at that. I went to a Bass Pro in Charlotte and it makes Dick’s look like the Dollar Tree. It’s an amazing store that fits on the water. This design is great. Finally we have something for our visitors to see when they go to events at HSBC Arena. From my estimation when this is going to be constructed so will 50 court St, Buffalo City Tower, The Federal Courthouse, Statler Renovation, Nursing Home on the 33, and the condo tower on the water front.
*** THERE WILL BE CRANES IN BUFFALO and not for building roads!
What an exciting time the next 5 years should be. Stay positive people and most importantly STAY IN BUFFALO!!!
I agree with the mayor, we have turned a corner and lets start running in the right direction!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 3:19 AM
Trendy.

Don't list a nursing home as a major development for ANY city ...ever... again. thanks!

Where is Bass Pro in Charlotte?

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 5:01 AM
try being in the Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis McGahee View Post
Don't list a nursing home as a major development for ANY city ...ever... again. thanks!

Because an $80M project is not a big project?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 5:04 AM
Trendy.

No, because it's a nursing home.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 5:07 AM
try being in the Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis McGahee View Post
No, because it's a nursing home.
Actually it is and it is not. It is a retirement community that offers continuing home care. Either way $80M is $80M and that is major especially in an inner city neighborhood and especially when it is eliminating a vacant housing project.

The architecture however of this project is an abomination.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
Actually it is and it is not. It is a retirement community that offers continuing home care. Either way $80M is $80M and that is major especially in an inner city neighborhood and especially when it is eliminating a vacant housing project.

The architecture however of this project is an abomination.
Which Housing Project is it replacing?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations