HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
It will be rather anticlimactic when it is finished:

Nice work!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
best shot ever taken to this point
agreed.. absolutely stunning picture! the way the tower is glistening in the reflections and sunlight..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
My Thoughts Exactly! I was blown away by it.

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 10:36 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

How high is the mast right now? It would be nice to have a running height count until the pinnacle is installed and to know the exact day that the mast exceeds the height of the highest mast on the Sears/Willis Tower in Chicago, even if the 1,776 feet doesn't count as part of the official structural height (and given what I have read I don't think it should) it will have the highest pinnacle height of any building in the United States.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 12:23 PM

Thank you New York ,New York Yankees and their fans for this:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...6pLid%3D299513

I know it's off topic and I'm sorry about that but I needed to say thanks........... I love New York

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 1:30 PM

New Finished WTC

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
I agree, you can barely see it unless you re close to Manhattan or if it's a really clear day out. Well this is what that bastard Durst wanted.
Let me ask you a question NewYorker2009 do you really live in New York ? cause that statement you just made is completely false, i live in sea gate Brooklyn which is in the southwestern tip of Coney Island and i see 1 wtc mast perfectly though rain snow, and sleet, and i live 14 miles away and, i am prettily sure even queensman1975 see's it also, and he lives a good 7 miles even further than i do . grant it it was a huge disappointment about the radome but it is time to move on.

Last edited by Yankee fan for life; Apr 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 3:45 PM

I personally think the building is ugly and unbecoming of ''America's Enduring Spirit". Grant it, yes, it's an office building. Nothing more. It's not part of the official memorial but still, I think something far greater could have come of this area. Just my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 4:59 PM
Build Baby Build

Take the drive and grovel in its presence. When the tower base was just poking out of the ground I took a drive in the winter from Michigan to NY and back in a total of 72 hours just to see it. This tower is the center of the USA skyscraper scene.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
Thank you New York ,New York Yankees and their fans for this:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...6pLid%3D299513

I know it's off topic and I'm sorry about that but I needed to say thanks........... I love New York
I was at the game last night.. really awesome stuff.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 6:35 PM

The shot at the top of the page shows 4WTC stealing the show completely. The original matte silver glass might have even been better than the glass we have now.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 7:18 PM
Gigatall Skyscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru18 View Post
I personally think the building is ugly and unbecoming of ''America's Enduring Spirit". Grant it, yes, it's an office building. Nothing more. It's not part of the official memorial but still, I think something far greater could have come of this area. Just my opinion.
Have you ever seen the building in person?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 7:25 PM
Walk taker

I don't know how many of you are lucky enough to reside in NYC, but I've had a front row seat to this towers construction since it pierced the downtown skyline last year. During the early days, I had a strong dislike for the radome, as it appeared cumbersome and obtrusive in all the renders being released - I wished that they'd scrap it.

Then, when they did scrap it, I had a change of heart. The new mast renderings, with their rust coloring and spindly stature, made me wish for the days when something a bit more, well, cumbersome, would mark the top of this tower. I nursed a deep resentment for Durst and his pocketbook, going so far as to pen an essay on the death of civic-minded architecture. It wasn't a good time.

Now the mast is nearly complete. I've been watching it climb skywards from my 6th floor studio in the EV and from the roof of my Brooklyn apartment. In both cases, the mast looks healthy, not too wide and not too thin, a slender and stately mass of steel that, when paired with the rings and the guy wires, rings in harmony with the rest of the tower. Even the matte steel, while not ideal, looks nearly white in the daylight and will likely glow in the sun when completed.

The other day I went for a walk along the Brooklyn Bridge Park riverfront, south of the bridge. The slim new segments had just been erected and the true magnitude of the tower was beginning to be revealed. For the first time, gleaming in the sunlight, the tower looked cohesive, the massive blue trunk and the delicate lattice contrasting beautifully. Standing on the promenade, I made peace with the tower, and for the first time in over a year was giddy with excitement over its completion.

Oh what a time to be 20 and in NYC!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 7:45 PM
I <3 New York

Good progress on the base cladding.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
I don't know how many of you are lucky enough to reside in NYC, but I've had a front row seat to this towers construction since it pierced the downtown skyline last year. During the early days, I had a strong dislike for the radome, as it appeared cumbersome and obtrusive in all the renders being released - I wished that they'd scrap it.

Then, when they did scrap it, I had a change of heart. The new mast renderings, with their rust coloring and spindly stature, made me wish for the days when something a bit more, well, cumbersome, would mark the top of this tower. I nursed a deep resentment for Durst and his pocketbook, going so far as to pen an essay on the death of civic-minded architecture. It wasn't a good time.

Now the mast is nearly complete. I've been watching it climb skywards from my 6th floor studio in the EV and from the roof of my Brooklyn apartment. In both cases, the mast looks healthy, not too wide and not too thin, a slender and stately mass of steel that, when paired with the rings and the guy wires, rings in harmony with the rest of the tower. Even the matte steel, while not ideal, looks nearly white in the daylight and will likely glow in the sun when completed.

The other day I went for a walk along the Brooklyn Bridge Park riverfront, south of the bridge. The slim new segments had just been erected and the true magnitude of the tower was beginning to be revealed. For the first time, gleaming in the sunlight, the tower looked cohesive, the massive blue trunk and the delicate lattice contrasting beautifully. Standing on the promenade, I made peace with the tower, and for the first time in over a year was giddy with excitement over its completion.

Oh what a time to be 20 and in NYC!
I see the tower at least a dozen times or more a day, but from the north side where the sun don't shine. It looks black and it does NOT look good at all. If they had just painted the freaking thing white or silver it would've been OK, but the battleship gray just doesn't cut it.

It's such an odd thing, a structural support never meant to be seen. Perhaps they'll affix the bathroom plumbing to the exterior facade if it saves them some money.

Finally, seeing it in person, and realizing how easy it is to climb up inside of it with the platforms and all, I really can't see how replacing small radome panels was "too dangerous" for workers. Personally I think it'll be more dangerous climbing up their without the covering because of winds.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
Let me ask you a question NewYorker2009 do you really live in New York ? cause that statement you just made is completely false, i live in sea gate Brooklyn which is in the southwestern tip of Coney Island and i see 1 wtc mast perfectly though rain snow, and sleet, and i live 14 miles away and, i am prettily sure even queensman1975 see's it also, and he lives a good 7 miles even further than i do . grant it it was a huge disappointment about the radome but it is time to move on.
Yes, as a matter of fact I do live in New York. I live in Staten Island and I can't see the spire near my job or where I live. My job is like 7 to 8 miles in a straight line away from the WTC. My house is about 10 to 12 miles in a straight line. I use to see the Twin Towers perfectly along with the antenna atop the North Tower. I can see One WTC from my house and my job but not the spire. Heck I can't even see the cranes sometimes and I have 20/20 vision. I don't know what else to tell you. Are you sure you aren't talking about the cranes because they even block the view of the spire right now. I guess we won't know what real impact it will make until the cranes come down. Well yeah there is nothing you and me can do about it to change the decision Durst made but there is nothing wrong with expressing an opinion on it. Trust me you'll be hearing negative views for a very long time so you best better get used to that. We live in a very opinionated world so people are always going to have to something to say. The spire is ok without the radome enclosure but it was a stupid move by Durst. If you want to like the spire be my guest that's your right. I'm just glad something is being built there at all you know.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
Bullshit. I live in Brooklyn Heights, three blocks from the promenade, and you cannot see the mast when it's raining (let alone sleeting or snow).

In fairness you also can't see the top 10 floors when there's heavy cloud cover so its not like the radome would've help.

The mast is more disable than I thought it would be but there's no need to exaggerate.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 9:12 PM
Back to Basics

I am not liking the horizontal striping hiding behind the fins of the base cladding. I am afraid they will really clash with the verticality of the tower when the fins are finally popped out.

Furthermore the horizontal striping would detract from the wishful-imagining of any similarity to the Twins' base.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 9:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGarcia View Post
It's such an odd thing, a structural support never meant to be seen.
That's one thing that really bothers me the most about it. We're not seeing the tower at it's best. Sure, most people are glad to have a peak restored to the lower Manhattan skyline,
and they figured no one would care. But it's what everyone feared would happen once the "greedy developers" were in charge of the rebuilding.

Quote:
Finally, seeing it in person, and realizing how easy it is to climb up inside of it with the platforms and all, I really can't see how replacing small radome panels was "too dangerous"
for workers. Personally I think it'll be more dangerous climbing up their without the covering because of winds.
That was all just BS. Especially considering the spire was to be designed as an open air structure around the antenna originally. They could have fallen back to that plan if the radome
was seriously a problem.

Sas0875

nrhodesphotos

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 9:56 PM

That base cladding is a great disappointment. I thought it would be more vertical like the Twin Towers. Instead it turns out to be horizontal. Not just that, but the jade green base glass collides with the glass on the tower which is more bluish. It isn't attractive in any way. They couldn't have found glass for the base that matched the rest of the tower?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 10:09 PM

i thought they already said they couldnt use the open air structure because of something about the radio waves wouldn't be able to get out or something like that..whether you believe it or not

and yea not liking the base cladding..im sure it will look good at night when its lit up with the same colors as the mast

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive