HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
New bridge ready in North Salt Lake on I-15
By Mitch Shaw

Last Edit: 8 hours 4 min ago (Nov 27 2009 - 6:43am)

NORTH SALT LAKE -- The final bridge replacement for the Interstate 15 ExpressLink project is near completion.

"The U.S. 89 bridge over I-15 from North Salt Lake will be closed Monday and Tuesday to switch traffic onto a new bridge. The Beck Street on ramp to I-15 will also be closed. The U.S. 89 bridge will be reduced to one lane until January as crews finish final construction work."

http://www.standard.net/topics/udot/...salt-lake-i-15
Speaking of shoddy journalism, this article is full of factual errors. The project is far from completion and there are still more bridges yet to be constructed. The US 89 bridge is not the "final bridge" for the project. The new bridge at 1000 N. is still in early construction. The new I-15 SB Bridge over the railroad tracks is nearing completion, then traffic will be re-routed onto the new southbound lanes while the current bridge is demolished and a new northbound bridge is built.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 1:06 PM

Rail Still A Big Hit In Utah

TRAX was once a gamble, but now it's solidly part of the Wasatch Front's future.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...150074&page=10

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 9:45 PM

That was an interesting read, Delts.
I wasn't here in Salt Lake then, when Trax was proposed and the first phase was built. It sure is weird to me how strongly opposed it was by so many people. I laughed out loud when I read "Light rail kills children!" Come on! But I guess it goes to show that when it comes to city planning matters, most of the residents don't know what's good for them. Now they can't get these trax lines built fast enough. Everyone wants one through their neighborhood.
Makes me think about all the folks opposed to a new Convention center hotel, or a street car line.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 12:04 AM
BANNED

or some type of universal health care...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
That was an interesting read, Delts.
I wasn't here in Salt Lake then, when Trax was proposed and the first phase was built. It sure is weird to me how strongly opposed it was by so many people. I laughed out loud when I read "Light rail kills children!" Come on! But I guess it goes to show that when it comes to city planning matters, most of the residents don't know what's good for them. Now they can't get these trax lines built fast enough. Everyone wants one through their neighborhood.
Makes me think about all the folks opposed to a new Convention center hotel, or a street car line.
Not everyone wants light rail in their neighborhood. People in Draper are still fighting having the light rail extension into Draper built in their neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 3:06 AM

I wish it actually went into neighborhoods.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 5:57 AM
BANNED

That way you could have the best of both worlds

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 3:52 AM

SLC rolls out plan for downtown streetcars

Mayor Ralph Becker imagines a 21st-century version of the city's old streetcars snaking through the capital's urban catacomb.

And, now, consultants hired by the city have four potential routes that -- depending on federal funding -- one day may make it possible to traverse the business district on wheels without a car.

"The administration sees it as a key element in catalyzing development in downtown," says Becker spokeswoman Lisa Harrison Smith. "It's definitely a high-level priority."

Subject to tweaks, the proposed alignments would zip streetcars from the Salt Lake Central transit station south to 900 South, east to 500 East and right through downtown's heart -- passing by the Salt Palace Convention Center and planned City Creek Center. The lines would be designed to swell ridership on the Utah Transit Authority bus and rail network and serve as a "circulator," ferrying people between downtown TRAX stations and the FrontRunner hub.

An open house to let residents weigh in on the streetcar paths is scheduled Monday from 4 to 6 p.m. at City Hall.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13930360?source=rss

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 4:56 AM

I love that Mayor Becker is really pushing for the downtown streetcar line, but what's happened to the streetcar proposal for Sugarhouse? I think that line is just as important as these, and I think the need is more immediate. Anyone know?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 5:33 AM

Sugarhouse is waiting for funding

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 5:46 AM

There's many different kinds of streetcars. Are they thinking of something older, like a trolley, or something more modern?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I love that Mayor Becker is really pushing for the downtown streetcar line, but what's happened to the streetcar proposal for Sugarhouse? I think that line is just as important as these, and I think the need is more immediate. Anyone know?
from the article...

"The city also is plotting a Sugar House route near 2200 South along an existing railroad corridor from roughly 1050 East to the Central Pointe TRAX station at 200 West. Officials will find out in January or February whether they have landed some $30 million in federal funds for that streetcar.

Of course, the biggest blockade to all the lines is manufacturing the millions for construction. But Len Simon, the city's Washington lobbyist, says the climate in Congress under the Obama administration seems advantageous for the city to snag some streetcar funding."

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 1:27 PM

If you get a minute, leave a comment or two at the general transportation thread about your feelings on trolleys
in an around the CBD of Salt Lake. It's a popular thread and the feedback from the international forum has been good
for Salt Lake in the past. Link...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...86#post4592686

The streetcar lines in and around the CBD and Salt Lake
central neighborhoods is fantastic news. It would be one of the
best things that could happen in a long time in moving Salt Lake
agressively forward as a premier city to both visit and live in. I
hope that Mayor Becker and the community leaders are able to
accomplish this wish list in as impressive a way as we have seen
over the past ten years with TRAX and FrontRunner.

The Streetcar systems visited and applauded by local leaders, in places
such as Bordeaux and Paris have a very positive vibe in how they
affect their neigborhoods. It's a vibe that will fit well with Salt Lake
City's historical icons, and it's many beautiful recent projects. Street
Cars will be a huge step in making Salt Lake a more intimate, walkable,
and charming city. Add trolleys to the current mix of TRAX and FrontRunner,
and there will be no stopping SLC!!

Bordeaux, France

Trams in the center of Bordeaux run catenary-free, taking power from the 3rd rail. That rail is divided into section and a section is only powered when the tram runs above it. This way the 3rd rail is safe for pedestrians./photographed by vudu rebel

Bordeaux, France

by vudu rebel

Newest line in Paris, France

milliped

Rome, Italia

Ireed7649

Last edited by delts145; Dec 5, 2009 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 3:47 AM

Salt Lake City secures funding for North Temple viaduct rebuild
December 6th, 2009 @ 3:50pm
By John Daley

SALT LAKE CITY -- Progress on a key TRAX line set to connect downtown to the airport is gaining steam. Salt Lake City has pulled together the financing for the rebuild of a major component of the line -- the viaduct over the railroad tracks at North Temple.

For months it stymied city officials. How to fund the key element of 6-mile line from downtown to the airport -- the rebuild of the North Temple viaduct?

Now, Salt Lake City mayor Ralph Becker says the city has cobbled together $71 million from the legislature, the federal stimulus package, a special improvement district and other sources for a project which promises to dramatically change the entire corridor.

Full Article

Great to see that they've pulled together the money needed to rebuild the viaduct and see some new renderings.
I think that the N. Temple transfer station is going to be the last nail in the Central Station's coffin.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 4:24 AM
Exit 298

Even I must admit the new viaduct looks nice.

And that's something ... coming from a guy who still misses the high-speed 1960's viaduct on 600 South which let me fly in all the way to Main Street.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 5:55 AM

If you've driven by the airport recently, you might've noticed all the work that has been done so far. By the looks of it, I would've thought they'd be done a lot sooner than the projected completion date. But I guess the viaduct is what will take the most time (and, I guess embedding the tracks in concrete could take longer as well).

I agree that the transfer will definitely render central station utterly pointless. I don't mind though, this is much better

The only thing I sort of don't like about the viaduct is the enclosed concrete portion. It's kind of a nice canvas, if you know what I mean. I wonder if the red building with the water tank on top will be visible from the other side.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 6:05 AM

If those streetcar lines which were discussed a few days ago are put in place, I think that will help with the viability of Central Station.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 7:56 AM
Exit 298

Remember, too, that the transfer point will probably be mostly for Davis to downtown commuters, versus us south valley to downtowners will probably get off at central point.

Options = Capacity = GOOD!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 12:00 PM

SLC to roll out big bike changes in spring

Main Street » New cycling lanes are just around the corner.

http://www.sltrib.com/slc/ci_13895209

Salt Lake City's Main Street - slated to become the new frontier for bicycle commuters - will be dominated by cars until the snow melts next year...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 1:23 PM

We also need to remember that the Provo commuters to downtown will be hitting the Centra Station. It will be busy, not as busy as without the North Temple transfer point but it will still be busy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West