HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 9:15 AM
BANNED

I was thinking about TOD's rather than consistent development along 2300 East, at locations such as Parley's Way, 3300 South, 3900 South, and Murray Holladay Road.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 12:49 PM
Chairman

I-15 Core

I found this article on the I-15 Core project. Certainly much larger than I thought. 24 miles is a lot of real estate

UTAH COUNTY -- Utah County commuters will soon be dealing with 24 miles of freeway road construction, from Lehi Main Street to Spanish Fork Main Street.
Drivers can be sure to expect delays: the HOV lane will be gone during the next two and a half years, and there will be some overnight closures for drivers to deal with. A total of 55 overpass bridges will be rebuilt, as will 10 freeway interchanges.

The rest of article:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10191013

-sb

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 6:35 PM

How about an extension of the green line to Hogle Zoo?

I don't know how well served the research park is currently by bus, but such a line would serve it with light rail on the way to the zoo:

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

I don't know how well served the research park is currently by bus, but such a line would serve it with light rail on the way to the zoo:

Yes this is what I meant in the SLC thread, thanks for doing the hard work for me

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 3:31 AM
BANNED

(The orange lines are street-cars)

Last edited by urbanboy; Mar 31, 2010 at 8:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 5:03 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

You read my mind!

P.S., I rode Frontrunner for the first time today all the way to Ogden. Can't wait to see Frontrunner South open up!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 10:40 AM

Instead of having the green light-rail line go through the remnants of Fort Douglas, why not have it first go up to the Heritage Center (student housing), turn right, stop at Red Butte and the new Natural History Museum, before going back to the center of Research Park and off to Hogle Zoo. That way not only would you get commuters for research park and Hogle Zoo, but also students going back to student housing and people wanting to see Red Butte and the Natural History Museum.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 3:54 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

That is also somewhat the same thing that I mentioned in the SLC thread, I just didn't read this thread before commenting.

As I had mentioned on the SLC Thread, I don't think the Zoo is a large enough destination, yes I know it reached a new record in attendance last year, but the investment in Trax would be substantial and I don't think the cost would be justified. One of those major issues, as was mentioned on the SLC thread is that a very large number of those are school children on buses and families in vans and SUV's, It's not the same as those traveling to downtown and research park for work, or to the U for school, which are most likely 1 occasionally 2 passengers per vehicle. Again I could see a street car line running up to the Zoo and through Research Park and to Red Butte from a foothill Trax line.

What if the map above was redrawn to have the Green Line stay on 5th south, have a stop near the VA and the south side of the Institute, another stop between Wikara Way (research park) and Sunnyside, a stop near Foothill Village, and one or two more stops before initially ending at I-80.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 3:55 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

As of the Core project in UT County, maybe getting laid off isn't such a bad thing after all, I won't have to deal with the construction.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 9:15 PM
BANNED

or

Last edited by urbanboy; Mar 31, 2010 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:17 AM
Lurker

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Instead of having the green light-rail line go through the remnants of Fort Douglas, why not have it first go up to the Heritage Center (student housing), turn right, stop at Red Butte and the new Natural History Museum, before going back to the center of Research Park and off to Hogle Zoo. That way not only would you get commuters for research park and Hogle Zoo, but also students going back to student housing and people wanting to see Red Butte and the Natural History Museum.
[QUOTE=urbanboy;4775219]

As someone who lives in the dorms, i think the idea of running TRAX by the Heritage Center is rediculous .

1. The University line runs very close to the dorms already. My friends and I can walk for five minutes to the Legacy Bridge stop. It's not a pain at all, in fact, it's very convenient where it is.

2. I am looking out my window at where Urbanboy just proposed the Green line to go and I just can't picture a light rail line ever being there. Not only would it drive right outside students windows, but it would also go across fairly new footpaths that students such as myself take several times a day.

3. The University of Utah has a great system of buses. Whenever i'm not feeling like biking or walking to class, the buses get me where I want to go.

I seriously doubt the University would agree to this, especially with the main destination being a museum.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 4:39 PM

On a more positive note I would love to see some of the streetcar routes proposed by UB come to life. I don't think we will have as dense of a network as they did 75 years ago in SLC but lets give residents more transit options.

I think 500 East and 900 East would be great routes. The busline on 500 East runs every 15 mins and is generally pretty busy. It also runs right by my house so perhaps I'm just selfishly promoting it so I could have a personal transit option.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 4:58 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

and I like the 900 E route, I live on 800 E. I would have to walk an entire block, but I guess I could handle that.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
As someone who lives in the dorms, i think the idea of running TRAX by the Heritage Center is rediculous .

1. The University line runs very close to the dorms already. My friends and I can walk for five minutes to the Legacy Bridge stop. It's not a pain at all, in fact, it's very convenient where it is.

2. I am looking out my window at where Urbanboy just proposed the Green line to go and I just can't picture a light rail line ever being there. Not only would it drive right outside students windows, but it would also go across fairly new footpaths that students such as myself take several times a day.

3. The University of Utah has a great system of buses. Whenever i'm not feeling like biking or walking to class, the buses get me where I want to go.

I seriously doubt the University would agree to this, especially with the main destination being a museum.

The final destination would not be a museum, just as the planetarium is not a final destination on it's respective line:

or

Oh, and Happy April Fools everyone

Last edited by urbanboy; Apr 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 7:13 PM
BANNED

Last edited by urbanboy; Apr 1, 2010 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 9:22 PM

Those are some good ideas Urbanboy. Now if only we can educate a lot of these people in Davis County, then Bountiful and Centerville could have a street car line.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 9:53 PM
Lurker

or

Seriously though. A line there here do much more harm than good. It's an incredibly unsuitable location because this is where students study, sit on the grass, and walk to the Heritage Center to eat. It would hardly increase ridership at all, because of the proximity to the Legacy Bridge station and the large amount of students who own cars up here.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 11:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Seriously though. A line there here do much more harm than good. It's an incredibly unsuitable location because this is where students study, sit on the grass, and walk to the Heritage Center to eat. It would hardly increase ridership at all, because of the proximity to the Legacy Bridge station and the large amount of students who own cars up here.
There are plenty of quite places around campus where students can sit on the grass and study. Furthermore, a train never bothered me; how is it that many people accomplish reading and doing their homework on TRAX if the noise it makes causes such a distraction? There most definitely would be an increase in ridership; don't forget this also would service Research Park, Red Butte Gardens, the Natural History Museum, the Shoreline Trail, and then continue south on Foothill Drive toward Holladay and the Cottonwoods (which is where many UofU students commute from). This would also give those students who own cars, a reason to sell them, save on gas and car insurance, and put that money toward their education.

Last edited by urbanboy; Apr 1, 2010 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I don't know where you think the problem would be. No one really sits on the lawn between Sage and Gateway and its under snow most of the year. I don't think crossing a rail line going to the HC would be that terrible. I know that the Fort Douglas station isn't that far, but hey I would take a station closer to the res halls. haha

Maybe another station or line closer would be more reasonable one day, as the dorms and university continue to grow.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 11:49 PM
BANNED

Sure, but we need to designate routes right now, before some future buildings block the path.

Last edited by urbanboy; Apr 2, 2010 at 9:51 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West