HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:14 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Is it just me or does Calgary builds things really quickly? In other cities it seems like they debate, plan, file applications, request zoning amendments, try to attract tenants, delay for better market conditions, make planning amendments, release new renders, stall, sell to a different developer, and on... and on...

But in Calgary it seems like they announce it, release a render, then a few months later you see any demolition and site prep, then it rises. I mean, I can't believe there would be that much progress on it already. Shouldn't there be at least another year or two of speculation and debate first?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:28 AM

^ This tower was first released to the media back in 2012 (3 years ago). I remember reading all about it here in this forum. Calgary has big oil and gas firms who have been expanding over the past 10 years greatly, which require more space and large towers. This made getting these big boys up faster then usual because one company usually takes most of the space (The Bow, Brookfield Place, etc).

In Toronto it's harder attracting big tenants because Toronto is a more mature city and all the big banks already have their massive towers. So it takes longer to get the security to go ahead on the taller towers. A builder usually wants 30% or more of the tower leased out before they feel comfortable enough to build it.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:43 AM
BANNED

Most sites in City Centre Calgary are now owned by national developers, REIT's, Pension Funds. Usually when something gets proposed it gets built here, not much land flipping by amateurs going on. And many of the Cgy proposals hardly get posted on the Canada section so it's likely you miss a bunch of the projects that are in planing but not u/c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Is it just me or does Calgary builds things really quickly? In other cities it seems like they debate, plan, file applications, request zoning amendments, try to attract tenants, delay for better market conditions, make planning amendments, release new renders, stall, sell to a different developer, and on... and on...

But in Calgary it seems like they announce it, release a render, then a few months later you see any demolition and site prep, then it rises. I mean, I can't believe there would be that much progress on it already. Shouldn't there be at least another year or two of speculation and debate first?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 1:26 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Brookfield Place is a big skyline changer. Looking forward to seeing it topped out. Not too often a new tallest is added to a skyline. Ironically both Alberta cities (Calgary and Edmonton) are building their new tallest right now.
2 new tallest at the same time for Edmonton...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 1:30 AM
Fake News

Quote:

Haha! Yeah this one is going fast. Calgary's had its' share of stalled projects though. Many parking lots DT today were originally supposed to be office buildings in the 80's. We also have a pit in the Beltline that's going on 10 years I think. There's also one horrible project called Live on the Park that has been under construction for about 8 years and is only now having people move in.

Based on what I've seen from Brad Lamb here with 6th and 10th it doesn't surprise me that you'd say that though. If you really want to talk about never ending dress rehearsals with no dance, DT hotels here seem cursed. That and our new digs for the Flames. I swear we'll win the Cup again before anything gets built.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 1:35 AM
Community Guy

You also have spring2008, which sets your city back a good 30years.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 2:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
You also have spring2008, which sets your city back a good 30years.
Lol! Great post, postmaster. Glad you could dedicate a post to me during your busy, busy posting days.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 3:04 AM
Majestic

Quote:

For every tower you see seeming to blaze ahead, there's two more that are stale and the land continues to sit vacant through two, three, four development cycles...

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 3:16 AM
Volatile Pacivist

I guess it's just me not following Calgary that closely then.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Number One Bloor:
[IMG][/IMG]

Pix by me today.

She's so tall now she's starting to feel skinny. It's having a much bigger impact on the skyline then I thought it would. I know it's not but it looks like a super-tall in it's surroundings.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 6:43 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Pix taken by me today.

Number One Bloor: 257m 75fl
[IMG][/IMG]

Massey Tower: 208m 60fl
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 6:53 PM
gettin' rich!

Thanks koops for taking over duties for regular updates!

Nice Massey Tower Pic!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 7:04 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Any time... now that I live here I get downtown far more often than I used to.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 7:05 PM
gettin' rich!

This project is moving really really fast.

488 -University - 207 meters.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/attachm...362-jpg.57035/

If it continues at this pace, it might be finished in short order.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 9:19 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Stantec:

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 3:36 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

More Toronto -

Harbour Plaza E: 233m 66fl
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

10 York: 224m 68fl
[IMG][/IMG]

All Pix taken by me today.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:04 AM
ARTchitecture

One Bloor and Harbour Plaza are looking amazing!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 11:57 PM
Urban Fanactic

Residences of 488 University

Massey Tower

Ten York

Eau du Soleil Sky Tower and Water Tower

Ice Condominiums East

Harbour Plaza Residences East and West

Number One Bloor

Pictures by me.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 12:54 AM
gettin' rich!

Comprehensive Update!!!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 7:24 PM
ARTchitecture

Great update!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada