HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 6:46 AM
ARTchitecture

A couple of newly released high res renders of Brookfield Place...

Source: http://www.entuitive.com/project/bro...place-calgary/

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 1:49 PM
gettin' rich!

That Atrium looks very nice. ^^

Hopefully we see some balcony glass here soon...

One Bloor - 258 meters

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 3:49 PM

I never realized Brookfield Place was getting a second tower with curved corners. I hate you Calgary! Why does Brookfield seem to enjoy building mediocre towers in Toronto lately?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 4:00 PM
I am the law!

Brookfield Place Calgary and Bay Adelaide East are cut from the same cloth. Same can be said about Bay Adelaide West and Bankers Court.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 5:20 PM

Except one is nice and the other is as dull as the College Park office tower of the 80's. The only similarity is they are both around the same height shape and colour but one has a design with some effort where as the other.........

BA1 is ok, BA2 is the most boring office tower in the core and possibly the most boring new office tower in the Country. BA Centre is nowhere near the same caliber as the Brookfield Place.Calgary

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 7:07 PM
I am the law!

Whatever floats your boat. Fact of the matter is all three towers have a simple designs with a simple, single skin glass curtain wall. Indented or rounded corners have been done many time before. They certainly wouldn't delay the design architect in coming up with the concept. It boils down to which nitpicked the most over perfecting their design and that can only be speculated on. All three have a quality glass façade however, BA2 and Brookfield take it to a another level. If it was strictly about costs, surely Brookfield with its custom bent glass would be miles ahead. The only thing we can conclude is that BA2 is superior to BA1 since Brookfield is still under construction and we can only speculate on how well the tapered curved corners turn out.

I actually prefer the look of Brookfield's curtain wall but, that's personal preference.

Probably, wasted my time considering the use of "Boring" or the comparison to "777 Bay". Oh well.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 8:44 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Except one is nice and the other is as dull as the College Park office tower of the 80's. The only similarity is they are both around the same height shape and colour but one has a design with some effort where as the other.........

BA1 is ok, BA2 is the most boring office tower in the core and possibly the most boring new office tower in the Country. BA Centre is nowhere near the same caliber as the Brookfield Place.Calgary
I agree 100%. Boring is the perfect word for it: simple but accurate.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 11:01 PM

If only they had stuck to the original plan, still boring but nothing like what they put up.

Posted on UT: http://urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 11:04 PM
gettin' rich!

Let's see what's up with 3, can't be that bad?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 5:26 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
I never realized Brookfield Place was getting a second tower with curved corners. I hate you Calgary! Why does Brookfield seem to enjoy building mediocre towers in Toronto lately?
To be fair, the original Brookfield proposal for this same site, originally known as Herald Square, was only 220 meters tall and was identical to BA1...

http://bestcalgaryhomes.com/tallest-...gary-225-sixth

Calgary just got really lucky. It's been quite an interesting series of events for skyscraper architecture in this city over the past decade. It started with the proposal of Penny Lane (later becoming Eighth Avenue Place). Often considered the lesser of our 4 new 200+ meters, the beautiful silver-blue glass reflects our amazing sunsets and sunrises magnificently which sets it apart from the rest, then we get The Bow, arguably the best tower built in this country since Scotia Plaza, and then the proposal of Herald Square leading to Brookfield Place with its exquisite glass and elegant form, and Telus Sky which is likely to end up easily the most interesting modern 200+ meter tower in the country, and even 707 Fifth (Manulife Tower) which at 125 meters isn't major but it will have a facade system unlike anything in the country for a skyscraper. This past boom has been very exciting, and our public realm is about to reap major benefits from it in the coming years.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 1:25 PM

Yes I gotta say Calgary will have some awesome towers once Telus Sky and Brookfield are completed. Modern, cutting edge, tall, and impressive. I will be making the trip out there in a couple years to see it. I believe Brookfield will impress greatly, due to it's height and sleek design with high quality material we are seeing being used. Sky will be unique and if executed well, should be a stunner. Personally I've never been The Bow's biggest fan, it just looks bulky. But I understand why others like it. Regardless, Calgary will have built their top 3 biggest by the time this is done (Brookfield, The Bow, and Telus Sky) which is amazing for a city to do in only 10 years. I imagine once this recession picks up and the economy grows healthier, that other proposal which is slated to be even taller than Brookfield will start going as well which would mean Calgary will eventually build their 4 TALLEST towers all in one boom. Beyond impressive.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Let's see what's up with 3, can't be that bad?
BA3 is a shorter version of BA2 without the lower podium extension

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:03 PM

I hope it stalls for years. I'd be happier with a STUMP then another BA2.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:28 PM
I am the law!

You lost me there Chad. The Bow is one of the top towers in the country. It's both impressive inside and out despite the design compromises and its urban setting. For this reason, it tops even Scotia which has a nearly unworkable floor plate.

Telus Sky is an amazing proposal but, for now, it is just a hole in the ground.

Can already see that Brookfield will bring some elegance through quality materials to the recent builts (The Bow notwithstanding) that has been lacking when compared to towers like Centennial, Jamieson, City Centre.

EAP in no way belongs with this company. The towers are of average design with an overwrought streetlevel and cheap curtainwall. It does photograph well in the skyline however, just about any glass tower will. Being twins does add a unique perspective. You don't often see towers of this style paired.

As far as Manulife is concerned, this is not the first development to have the suspended ceiling/raised floor end short of the perimeter to allow floor to ceiling vision glass.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:42 PM

I'm curious how Scotia has a nearly unworkable floor plate?

posted on: http://www.altusinsite.com

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 5:16 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
I'm curious how Scotia has a nearly unworkable floor plate?

posted on: http://www.altusinsite.com
Scotiaplaza is horrific and inhuman inside...so damn depressing and crowded, like a chicken coop.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 5:26 PM
gettin' rich!

Maybe it's because they are trying to fit too many people on the floor. Some offices from the outside, all I've ever seen, look very nice and soft lighting. Other floors are hard lighting, and look like they are packed with people.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Scotiaplaza is horrific and inhuman inside...so damn depressing and crowded, like a chicken coop.
Are you talking about the public spaces because that is so far from the truth. The Lobby is one of the best in the core. As for the per floor layout that all depends on the tenant. That could apply for almost any office tower anywhere.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 8:24 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

I'm talking about Scotiabank's internal office cubicle structure.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 8:45 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
I'm talking about Scotiabank's internal office cubicle structure.
Oh yeah that makes sense, they are a cheapass bank.

The law firm/accounting offices look awesome from the outside though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada