HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 9:52 PM

How cool would this be?

Colorado battery maker gets major investment from Hyundai, Samsung funds
Sep 11, 2018 By Greg Avery – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
The funding for Solid Power Inc. will pay for completing construction of the company’s first production line establishing the commercial production of company’s battery technology — a line that should be fully operational in 2019, the company said.

“It’s hard to overstate how significant it is to have this in Colorado,” he said. “This would be a big deal in Silicon Valley, but to have it happening here is really something.”
What is the Big Deal?
Quote:
Venture Capital funds associated with Samsung and Hyundai are among the investors putting $20 million into a Louisville startup creating solid-state batteries meant to replace lithium-ion batteries in electric cars and other uses.

Solid Power was formed in 2012 and based on technology licensed from the University of Colorado-Boulder and the U.S. Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory. It’s among a handful of companies pursuing solid-state batteries, which have the potential of being lighter and more powerful than the lithium-ion batteries commonly used today.

Such batteries also wouldn’t be at risk of puncture damage, leaks and explosions that are concerns with the liquid electrolytes used in lithium-ion batteries. The technology has been drawing investment to startups from large industrial players.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 3:08 AM

Hardly Chump Change

Does downtown Denver even have anything that comes close?

$242M investment in Gaylord Rockies beefs up Nashville company's western presence
Sep 17, 2018 By Kelcey McClung – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
Ryman Hospitality Properties (NYSE: RHP) will soon become the majority owner and the managing member of the Gaylord Rockies Resort and Convention Center. Los Angeles-based Ares is also selling to Houston-based RIDA Development, which will be the co-managing member alongside Ryman.

In the purchase agreement filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the agreed-upon aggregate value of the investment was $1,275,000,000 as of the closing date.
This was merely a liquidation of Ares roughly 19% interest. Ares role was of a financial/equity partner for the purpose of helping to fund the development but that value is eye-popping.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 6:43 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
This was merely a liquidation of Ares roughly 19% interest. Ares role was of a financial/equity partner for the purpose of helping to fund the development but that value is eye-popping.
The valuation is overblown IMO, but Ares seems to be making a hug ROI on this sale based on their initial investment. But it's a bit odd-the transaction, valuation is ~$890M, but the internal valuation is $1.25B? That's a big discount right there, way to go Rayman.

Still, fuck Gaylord and the circle-jerk conference circuit that drives it's business. In no way do I find that lifestyle appealing.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Still, fuck Gaylord and the circle-jerk conference circuit that drives it's business. In no way do I find that lifestyle appealing.
Well, you're welcome to stay there assuming availability but certainly you're not their primary bread and butter customer.

There should be significant economic benefits for Denver and the state since their taxes will help to pay for RTD and a whole slew of things. Certainly DEN should benefit and those who stay for extended personal vacations will spend $'s wherever they go. Too early to know but in all likelihood some company convention business will likely return to check out the REAL city of Denver/downtown.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Well, you're welcome to stay there assuming availability but certainly you're not their primary bread and butter customer.

There should be significant economic benefits for Denver and the state since their taxes will help to pay for RTD and a whole slew of things. Certainly DEN should benefit and those who stay for extended personal vacations will spend $'s wherever they go. Too early to know but in all likelihood some company convention business will likely return to check out the REAL city of Denver/downtown.
I still feel it was a missed opportunity to not include a stop on the A-Line. The biggest hotel in Colorado and one of the largest in the country and the rail line connecting it to the airport and downtown just blows right past it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:51 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I still feel it was a missed opportunity to not include a stop on the A-Line. The biggest hotel in Colorado and one of the largest in the country and the rail line connecting it to the airport and downtown just blows right past it.
It was all a question of who would pay for it- and the developers ultimately wouldn't. I'm pretty sure that Gaylord has an airport shuttle all set up to convey their customers directly from the airport to the hotel in order to keep the cocooned in the Gaylord experience.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 3:38 AM

Aurora Gaylord Rockies Village

Has anyone heard about the mixed-use "Rockies Village" that is planned to be developed around the Gaylord Hotel? LINK (it is Item #2)
Quote:
Coming in late 2020, Rockies Village will be situated adjacent to the Gaylord Rockies Resort and Convention Center. The vision is to create a walkable ski village environment with offerings that would complement the Hotel. Grab an ice cream with your family, enjoy a piano bar with your friends, or dine at one of the diverse eateries.
Not too sure if Breckenridge appreciates their marketing photo being used here. I wonder if that is Aurora using that photo or if it the same marketing team that did the Gaylord video with Montana mountains and the Sentinal state.

The Aurora project development web site doesn't seem to have much info on it yet.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr8364 View Post
Has anyone heard about the mixed-use "Rockies Village" that is planned to be developed around the Gaylord Hotel?
I hadn't seen any of the specifics including a 'name' but I was aware they'd bought more land.

Aimco Breaks Ground while Aurora schmoozes

Photo courtesy Aimco via PRNewswire

Aurora Mayor, Local Leaders Join Aimco to Break Ground on a New $87 Million Development Central to the Anschutz Medical and Fitzsimons Innovation Campuses
Sep 28, 2018
Quote:
Slated for completion in the Fall of 2020, the new development will feature 253 upscale apartments composed of five diverse "districts," each offering unique floorplans and customizable design elements to meet the distinct needs of residents and their families.
To TOD or not.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:14 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Hey Cirrus:

I took some RFTA photos... or something.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:20 AM
cities|transit|croissants

I'm confused about this 7th Street Station. It looks like a very nice elevator to get wheelchairs up to a pedestrian bridge over what I assume is the Colorado River. But um, what makes it a station? And what's going on with the street in front of it, where there appears to be a curb ramp... one lane out from the curb. A raised bike lane, maybe? Oh wait is it still under construction?

And that bus does not have the awesome raptor paint job. Get it together, RFTA.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 4:07 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

It's part of the Grand Avenue Bridge reconstruction project.

Here's a photo of things under construction: https://www.codot.gov/projects/sh82g...ation.jpg/view

Also Glenwood has to fix the sewers in that area. http://www.ci.glenwood-springs.co.us...s.aspx?AID=261

As to why it's 7th Street Station, it's right next to Amtrak.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:56 AM
Space Magi

Looks like I'm heading to CU in the fall for my PhD, so I'll be sure to post some pictures of the new aerospace building for you guys when I get my cubicle on the fourth floor!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 5:31 AM

Congrats!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 5:42 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Congrats!
Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Looks like I'm heading to CU in the fall for my PhD, so I'll be sure to post some pictures of the new aerospace building for you guys when I get my cubicle on the fourth floor!
Congrads!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 6:30 PM

Aurora to get 11 story medical midrise:
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/02/0...pansion-tower/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 8:08 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Hey Cirrus, I had to go to Eagle for court. I didn’t take any bus photos in Eagle or Gypsum. Just FYI.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 2:55 AM

Hey 720, FYI:

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 6:50 PM

The NIMBY fever along the front range has picked up in Golden.......

https://denver.cbslocal.com/video/40...-construction/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 9:23 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Cirrus, I am personally attacking you with eggs now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West