HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 8:55 AM

London has always had a fairly low murder and crime rate.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
London is doing OK...…….still at 4.
Lowest number since 2014.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:53 AM

Toronto - 93

Shootings - 387
Victims - 545
Deaths - 48

Does anyone have any statistics of shootings from other major Canadian cities?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:31 AM
I am a typical

Breaking news: Thunder Bay's police are racist and don't know how to do their jobs.

OK that's a bit of a dramatization. Here is the 200+ page report in point form:

Quote:
• The inadequacy of the TBPS sudden death investigations the OIPRD reviewed was so problematic that at least nine of the cases should be reinvestigated.
• A multi-discipline team should be established to reinvestigate, at a minimum, the deaths of the nine Indigenous people identified. The team should include representatives from TBPS, a First Nations police service, outside police service(s), the Office of the Chief Coroner and the Office of the Chief Forensic Pathologist. The team should also establish a protocol for determining what additional death investigations should be reinvestigated.
• TBPS should initiate an external peer-review process for sudden death and homicide investigations for at least the next three years.
• TBPS should focus proactively on actions to eliminate systemic racism, including removing systemic barriers and the root causes of racial inequities in the service.
• TBPS leadership should publicly and formally acknowledge that racism exists at all levels within the police service and that it will not tolerate racist views or actions. TBPS leadership should engage with Indigenous communities on the forum for and content of these acknowledgements. This would be an important step in TBPS advancing reconciliation with Indigenous people.
• The Thunder Bay Police Services Board should publicly and formally acknowledge racism exists within TBPS and take a leadership role in repairing the relationship between TBPS and Indigenous communities.
• TBPS leadership should create a permanent advisory group involving the police chief and Indigenous leadership.
• The Office of the Chief Coroner, Ontario’s Chief Forensic Pathologist, the Regional Coroner and TBPS should implement the Thunder Bay Death Investigations Framework on a priority basis. The framework clarifies roles and responsibilities, improves communication and increases information sharing to ensure objective, high quality death investigations.
My uncle was murdered 11 years ago tomorrow. It's actually 11 years ago tonight; he died at 4am on December 13th, 2007. The man originally charged with his death was found not guilty, there wasn't enough evidence to prove any wrong doing. If this report is truly indicative of the ability of Thunder Bay's police (and I see no reason for the Ontario Independent Police Review Director to lie) then you can't help but question almost everything they've done in the past.

People accuse a lot of us, especially indigenous people and people on the left wing of the political spectrum, of "hating police", and honestly, that isn't the case. We just want them to do their job. We expect that when we get a fast food chili, it has no severed fingers in it. We expect that when we buy a salad, it has no fecal bacteria in it. We expect that when we drink tap water, it won't poison or infect us. So why is it so offensive for us to expect that when we need their services, the police will protect us?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 9:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuelzJones View Post
Toronto - 93

Shootings - 387
Victims - 545
Deaths - 48

Does anyone have any statistics of shootings from other major Canadian cities?
Ottawa is at around 80 shootings or more. Every year it seems it "beats" the old record.

Ottawa has seen a significant spike in shootings in the past 5-10 years or so. As in, there could be more than three times as many as there were a decade ago.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ottawa is at around 80 shootings or more. Every year it seems it "beats" the old record.

Ottawa has seen a significant spike in shootings in the past 5-10 years or so. As in, there could be more than three times as many as there were a decade ago.
"Shootings" being defined as shots fired, or as somebody being shot? Although I seem to recall that a few years ago there was a flurry of shootings in which the victim was wounded but not killed. I started to think the gang members were just really bad shots, but I guess it was intended as intimidation.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
"Shootings" being defined as shots fired, or as somebody being shot? Although I seem to recall that a few years ago there was a flurry of shootings in which the victim was wounded but not killed. I started to think the gang members were just really bad shots, but I guess it was intended as intimidation.
Ĵust going by the stats that Ottawa police release as "shootings".

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ĵust going by the stats that Ottawa police release as "shootings".
OK. I think that means shots fired. Not that that makes it any better.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 11:05 PM

The neighbours report today that 39,773 people died by guns in 2017, the highest number in the 40 years the statistic has been recorded. Another 23,854 people died from suicide by guns in 2017, the highest number in 18 years.

As enormous as the USA is, those numbers are hard to get one's mind around.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 1:21 AM
I am a typical

A day after the OIPRD report accused Thunder Bay Police of not treating dead indigenous people as homicides, the Thunder Bay Police declared they are treating the death of Braiden Jacobs as a homicide. The 17-year-old from Webequie who was in the city for medical care is the 7th homicide in the city in 2018.

Edit: The Thunder Bay Police Service has arrested and charged a 22-year-old male in connection with the homicide of 17-year-old Braiden Jacob..

Last edited by vid; Dec 15, 2018 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:29 AM
I am a typical

I had a whole post written out but my browser glitched out and I lost it. :/ But basically, the Thunder Bay Police Association is responded to criticism by saying "we're not racist, you're racist!"

Last week, they accused the leader of Northern Ontario's largest indigenous organization of driving a wedge in the community (which, itself, drove a wedge deeper into the community as there was a fair amount of backlash against that) and now this week, they're responding to the OIPRD report of institutional racism in the city with "We're not racist! Murray Sinclair is just vindictive!"

They even went so far as to spell Patty Hajdu's name incorrectly.

They literally start off with "after careful review" but then totally miss the point that Sinclair's report, which was done on behalf of the Ontario Civilian Police Commissioner, was looking specifically at the actions of the Police Services Board (which, as a civilian body, does not have police on it) and that the OIPRD report was looking specifically at three dozen cases where indigenous people's deaths were investigated by the police, whether they were considered solved or not.

And, yeah, it's easy to have a high solve rate when you see a half naked indigenous person lying dead on the ground and declare "Oops! they got drunk and fell! Crime solved!" before the coroner's plane lands (which, according to the report, they did nine times in less than a decade.)

And the mayor's responses to these are 1: "Every city is like this" (and what a fucking depressing thought that is) and 2: "Disbanding the board for a year means we can't tell the police what to do!" (Because yeah, that's been working well for the past 48 years!)

Honestly, though, the tone of that response from the head of the local police union is really alarming. I thought Keith Hobbs (who held that position in the 2000s and later became mayor; currently on trial for corruption) was bad but that letter has to be one of the worse rebuttal press releases I have ever seen.

Also, saying "our funding is low" and then claiming "it's only 7.9% of the budget" is not a very effective argument. Their budget is $40,696,300 and the city budget is $245,975,400. Now, that's 16.5% of the budget (and they're 10.2% of the city's $400M gross budget but that's not representative of final costs) so I don't know where they got the 7.9% number from, but a more effective argument would have been "we need X amount of additional funding". This in spite of the fact that our police service consistently runs in the red and since neither it nor the city are allowed to have a deficit, that funding is eventually covered by drawing from reserve funds and then increasing their budget the following year anyway.

Every city is like this?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:32 AM

Not gonna lie. Thunder Bay sounds like a pretty terrible place. What’s going on over there?

Last edited by mintzilla; Dec 18, 2018 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Spelling is hard

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:55 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
Not gonna lie. Thunder Bay sounds like a pretty terrible place. What’s going on over there?
Nothing that isn't going on in every other city in Canada, according to our new mayor.

The real answer is institutional racism gone unchecked and unchallenged for decades but people here can't seem to distinguish "institutional racism" and "racist individual", so everyone gets mad at everyone else and nothing gets done.

Every response at this point is just making everything worse, I'm honestly surprised there aren't riots in the streets.

The police services board had its first ever indigenous member last year (Thunder Bay is about 15% indigenous), and she was elected chair just two weeks ago. She was chosen by the province as the provincial government representative on the board and lives outside of the police's patrol area. Again: their patrol area, Thunder Bay, is about 15% indigenous.

But don't you dare say it's racism!

I forgot to mention, there are a lot of rumours going around that many of the deaths are the result of a serial killer. So, like, it's helter skelter out here.

But don't worry, because every city in Canada is like this and the new city council is going to restore our reputation with new signs along the bike trails and a sister city in England!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 7:16 PM

Toronto - 95
GTA - 46

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 10:35 PM

Edmonton is currently at 27.

Last years total was 49.

Calgary I believe is at 15 down from last years 29.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 1:02 AM

Edmonton had 45 last year, 49 for the CMA i believe.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuelzJones View Post
Edmonton had 45 last year, 49 for the CMA i believe.
I pulled the number form the EPS page. But I could adjust down. Either way a better year.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 8:20 PM
HVAC guru

Edmonton's murder rate is down this year which is good, the types of murders are still disturbing, IE the last one being the double stabbing death of a baby and a 3 years old. Some messed up stuff.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 3:33 AM

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 12:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada