HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 3:58 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
...they've both got damned major rivers that are prone to heavy flooding
Those damned rivers! Curse them!

[Sorry, couldn't resist poking fun at you since you've let on that you're fastidious about proper spelling and grammar. This one was too good to pass up!]

Going back to the thread drift about sexual orientation, where my fellow asexuals at?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Those damned rivers! Curse them!

[Sorry, couldn't resist poking fun at you since you've let on that you're fastidious about proper spelling and grammar. This one was too good to pass up!]

Going back to the thread drift about sexual orientation, where my fellow asexuals at?
Asexual? Would that be an emotionally damaged divorced person?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Asexual? Would that be an emotionally damaged divorced person?
No, its someone who likes to take matters into his own hand.

And to get back on topic...hey, how 'bout that Independent, huh? Can't wait to see it built someday I 'll tell ya!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
No, its someone who likes to take matters into his own hand.

And to get back on topic...hey, how 'bout that Independent, huh? Can't wait to see it built someday I 'll tell ya!
Nice play on words. To combine both topics, an asexual person is "independent" and this building will appeal to both crowds with a one-bedroom option, and for those who wish to have children, two to three bedroom units.

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to this one getting started but it's November 7th and the site is still pretty inactive. If the pedestrian bridge really will conflict with and possibly delay this project, then it sure doesn't look like it'll be done by the early December demo date.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 11:13 PM
lurker

Walked past today. Workers removing more from the site. I bet in a week or so we might see some progress on the site clearing.

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 10:47 PM

Do any of you who live in 360 have any photos of the "progress" at the Independent site?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 2:48 AM

I can get a shitty cellphone shot tomorrow. There's really not much to say about it.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 11:08 PM

On the southwest corner of the Independent site, there was a two-story model of the exterior elements of Seaholm. That's now the pile of rubble shown below.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 12:09 AM

Nice to see some progress, but holy Robin turds, the Northshore looks awesome in the background!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 7:57 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

You know save for the 360, the rest of that view will become a wall of buildings. You won't be able to see Northshore at all. Then again you wouldn't see anything from that location except the lower section of the Independent. So long as everything planned is completed.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
You know save for the 360, the rest of that view will become a wall of buildings. You won't be able to see Northshore at all. Then again you wouldn't see anything from that location except the lower section of the Independent. So long as everything planned is completed.
Actually, if I recall the site plan correctly, the Independent is going to be set more to the north and west of the site, and the entrance plaza will face what would be 3rd (which is more or less where this driveway is).

But yeah, 3rd & Shoal and Austin Proper will obscure Northshore from 3rd and West if built.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 9:46 PM

Stopped by the Independent sales office. They have a new model in there that shows the Greenwater development as well. The detailed single model of the tower is incredible. I asked about a groundbreaking and they told me they're optimistic about December. I outright asked if the pedestrian bridge work would delay construction and they didn't give me a direct answer. Here are some photos:

Pool:

Pedestrian Bridge:

Workout room/amenity level deck

Also stopped by the site. They've demolished a Seaholm facade model that had been there during construction. Looks like this is moving forward as planned.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 10:29 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
That is a beautiful photograph of the site.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
That is a beautiful photograph of the site.
Thank you!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:21 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Great pics!

So if the heights of the Greenwater towers are correct in the modeling then the tower across Nueces would be taller than Northshore but not as tall as 360. That's the first real glimpse of what they are planning other than an actual rendering.

I'm glad it won't be adding to the "plateau" but it would seem more asthetically appealing to have Austin Proper on the block along Cesar Chavez with the taller tower behind it. That would break up the bulky plateau that would be created between Austin Proper and 3rd @ Shoal.

I had originally thought the same about Northshore and the Google tower but have since changed my mind because of how those buildings are placed. A good amount of the Google Tower will be seen to the south. A shame it couldn't be more impressive and taller so it would poke above Northshore but since it's a long rectangle rather than a skinnier tower, probably for the best.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 8:35 PM
Meh

I don't think the heights are right for the model. The Google Tower is 400 feet, Austin Proper is 397 feet and Third + Shoal is 387 feet, but it's showing those last two being considerably shorter than the Google Tower. And I hope this is the orientation for the taller Green tower. I think it'll actually help downplay the plateau affect since it'll be putting the tallest tower ahead of three others that are basically the same height. It's going to appear even taller than those being in front of them, where as if it were behind them it would appear shorter. Also if this is the orientation of the taller Green tower, it's going to help to preserve the views of the buildings behind it, and we should have a neat profile view from the south/southwest of Austin Proper.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 1:52 AM
World Traveler

I'd still be okay with something going on the substation site. It's gonna be a big hole in all the density there - and not a good break-up like a pocket park or something with trees and grass, but a boring, ugly electrical substation. I know we need them, but I just wish it could be somewhere else.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 5:02 AM
Honored Member

There are some snazzy design elements on the Independent models that I wasn't aware of before, making it look far more interesting than what I've seen prior to these latest pics. It's the lines that I'm talking about. I have no idea what the correct terminology is for that, but it's creating really neat geometric variation between the "blocks."

Re: the dreaded substation, is it not permitted to do anything within that site, such as adding some large planters with trees to mask some of its hideousness?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Re: the dreaded substation, is it not permitted to do anything within that site, such as adding some large planters with trees to mask some of its hideousness?
You don't want (and Austin Energy would never permit) trees or anything else within possible contacting range of those transformers. Everything is a conductor at those voltages.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 10:12 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxdweller View Post
Everything is a conductor at those voltages.
Well, then the least the city can do is put a train or an orchestra on the site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin