HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Porter has interline agreements? News to me. Sounds like something Flair should definitely pursue more aggressively if they stay afloat, and I'm sure the American airlines would be more than happy to accommodate them for the right price.

Hope Flair sticks around and Porter returns... just as you said previously, the more competition the better. Even if they stay a strict budget airline, Flair adding flights to Montreal or Boston would be amazing.

I'd be happy with a regular bus service to Boston or even Bangor though. YSJ might not be happy about such a service, but it would sure give us all some better budget travel options. How much is YSJ really making off every long haul flight we take via Toronto or Montreal anyways?
Porter does have inter line agreements with air transat and several other airlines including Air Alaska and delta

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster chucker View Post
Porter does have inter line agreements with air transat and several other airlines including Air Alaska and delta
Yeah, The Sailor already mentioned that. I wonder how much that cost them and if Flair could do the same.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 12:01 AM

"Our Airline Partners" (from Porter's website)

Air Transat
Alaska Airlines
Delta Air lines
JetBlue
Azores Airlines (SATA)
El Al Israel Airlines
Fiji Airways
Icelandair
Qatar Airways

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah, The Sailor already mentioned that. I wonder how much that cost them and if Flair could do the same.
Ohh sorry missed that. I believe they could find a group of airlines similar to what porter did. Porter didn’t join sky team ( too small) so made arrangements with individual airlines which is more difficult As did westjet with some as well.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
They receive billions in support.
I'd love to see that figure documented. I don't buy it for a second.

Provincial and, to a lesser degree, municipal governments do offer inducements to airlines to operate certain particular individual routes, but those are one-offs - many of which are not successful in the longer run. But to suggest that there's massive ongoing subsidization of Canadian airlines is simply not accurate.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
I'd love to see that figure documented. I don't buy it for a second.

Provincial and, to a lesser degree, municipal governments do offer inducements to airlines to operate certain particular individual routes, but those are one-offs - many of which are not successful in the longer run. But to suggest that there's massive ongoing subsidization of Canadian airlines is simply not accurate.
Yes, if anything the federal government takes more money out of commercial aviation in terms of airport rent, securityfees, ATC fees, fuel and other taxes etc etc than most other countries. These expenses are all contribute to our very high ticket prices in Canada.

Of course, Ottawa did give our airline billions during the Covid shutdown but other countries did the same for their aviation industry. That was a one off.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 2:04 PM

Was told today by someone connected to YSJ that the May 8 announcement.... :will be an important step in service diversification and market growth"

Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Was told today by someone connected to YSJ that the May 8 announcement.... :will be an important step in service diversification and market growth"

Fingers crossed.
The Airport's AGM is May 8th - weird time for an announcement, but we'll see.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Was told today by someone connected to YSJ that the May 8 announcement.... :will be an important step in service [B][diversification/B]and market growth"

Fingers crossed.
Maybe some cargo announcements? The vision presented recently for SJ was to get into cargo much more. Not something that will get many outside of this forum too excited.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
Maybe some cargo announcements? The vision presented recently for SJ was to get into cargo much more. Not something that will get many outside of this forum too excited.
Well, I was complaining about AC pricing out of YSJ compared to YQM and YFC.
His reply in that context was "YSJ is aggressively arguing with Air Canada about pricing into Saint John."
I replied saying I didn't think we would get any relieve until we had a viable (Porter or Westjet) competitor serving YSJ. His response was ...... "check back with after the announcement on the 8th. This will be an important step in service diversification and market growth…"

From the context of our exchange I'm thinking it's not cargo.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
His reply in that context was "YSJ is aggressively arguing with Air Canada about pricing into Saint John."
I replied saying I didn't think we would get any relief until we had a viable (Porter or Westjet) competitor serving YSJ. His response was ...... "check back with after the announcement on the 8th. This will be an important step in service diversification and market growth…"

From the context of our exchange I'm thinking it's not cargo but who knows

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 3:34 PM

Quote:
I replied saying I didn't think we would get any relief until we had a viable (Porter or Westjet) competitor serving YSJ. His response was ...... "check back with after the announcement on the 8th. This will be an important step in service diversification and market growth…"

From the context of our exchange I'm thinking it's not cargo but who knows
That is encouraging.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:25 PM

I see YSJ posted on their FB story that daily 5:30am Air Canada flights to Toronto return on May.1st.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
I see YSJ posted on their FB story that daily 5:30am Air Canada flights to Toronto return on May.1st.
Yeah, That departure showed up when AC released their spring/summer schedule a few months ago. YSJ used to be 3 flights a day to YYZ year-round going to 4 in the summer. I haven't checked but if we have a 0500 departure I assume we are also gaining a late night arrival so the plane to be here for the AM.

Edit I just looked at AC and it appears YSJ-YVR still only has 2 departures and 2 arrivals per day....just at different times than we have now.

Still operated by Rouge with a A319.

Last edited by sailor734; Apr 29, 2024 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:36 PM

Quote:

Fingers crossed.
I Was told the announcement on air service is May 7. That was a week ago when i posted. Maybe your is better than mine lol.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 7:41 PM

It was mentioned in the comments of a post on Retail Talk and Share that a source said that they were told by a stewardess at Porter Air that more options are coming, when the source told her they had to fly out of Fredericton airport instead of SJ.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 8:14 PM

Quote:
It was mentioned in the comments of a post on Retail Talk and Share that a source said that they were told by a stewardess at Porter Air that more options are coming, when the source told her they had to fly out of Fredericton airport instead of SJ.
It would make sense. Now that they are trying to build a North American network it be logical if Porter was trying to get as many passengers as possible flowing into either a hub or at least one of their so called "focus cities"

Longer term it wouldn't surprise me to see them serving the Montreal Metropolitan Airport with Maritime flights. They are partners in the new terminal there scheduled to open next year.

I read on an aviation site that Porter actually has excess capacity in terms of aircraft with all the new E195 E2's arriving. The limiting factor at the moment is pilots.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 9:06 PM

Quote:
I hope she is right. But there is always the possibility that she was thinking St John’s. How often does that happen? Especially if she is from Ontario.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
I hope she is right. But there is always the possibility that she was thinking St John’s. How often does that happen? Especially if she is from Ontario.
That's always a very distinct possibility

I've been on multiple flights back to Saint John where the half the plane let's out an enormous groan because the stewardess or pilot has said "St. John's".

I always think it's hilarious how upset Saint Johnners get about "misspelling" it by abbreviating, let alone spelling it St. John's, New Brunswick.

When they went through all the cost and effort needed to change the name from St. John to Saint John, they should have just picked a truly unique name for the city instead. It's definitely a continuing branding and marketing challenge for the city and region, especially for tourism... other than the few times people mistakenly book flights to YSJ instead or YYT, but those instances don't even come close to making up for the overall issue with the name when it comes to marketing the city. People west of New Brunswick will say or type St. John's more often than not, when talking about either city.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 2:21 PM

Quote:
TIt's definitely a continuing branding and marketing challenge for the city and region, especially for tourism... other than the few times people mistakenly book flights to YSJ instead or YYT, but those instances don't even come close to making up for the overall issue with the name when it comes to marketing the city.
Sydney, NS: "Hold my beer..."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces