HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 3:57 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 29, 2017 at 5:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 4:36 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwocents View Post
It seems like it would be a plausible place for On-it to try to venture into next. I dunno know what the full goal is for their pilot project if it's to expand or just stay a float. Commuter service on the new transitway would be logical.

I'm pretty sure Chestermere will fight annexation for as long as they can. They've bought land to buffer from the city and have been vocal about no annexation.
Older but relevant article

http://www.calgaryregionfocus.com/lo...n-chestermere/

I also believe Chestermere is not really in favor of annexation, I assumed the name change to City of Chestermere was indicative of that.

Extension of a 17th Ave SE route makes sense, 'downtown' Chestermere is only about 10 mins east of the last 305 stop. In fact, being only 10 mins Calgary and Chestermere should come up with some contract and just do it.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 4:37 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Under the assumption that taxes and fees as unannexed would be lower. Turns out you can't fund operations very well as a bedroom community. http://www.theanchor.ca/2015/propert...se-disturbing/

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/05/24...-get-tax-break

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...hews-1.4186312
My impression was that was the reason Bowness, Forest Lawn, etc agreed to be annexed, they were buying services from Calgary and taxes were higher because of that.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Older but relevant article

http://www.calgaryregionfocus.com/lo...n-chestermere/

I also believe Chestermere is not really in favor of annexation, I assumed the name change to City of Chestermere was indicative of that.

Extension of a 17th Ave SE route makes sense, 'downtown' Chestermere is only about 10 mins east of the last 305 stop. In fact, being only 10 mins Calgary and Chestermere should come up with some contract and just do it.
I thought they bought land to make a buffer between them and the city. I could have been confusing trying to stop a project in Conrich though.

There are rail tracks out to Chestermere as well but a rush hour commuter bus could be a good first step. The survey response from that article linked is a little sad though. If the services for On-it could be extended beyond rush hour for their trial I know I would use it to visit Okotoks. Trying to go to Banff this weekend.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 5:24 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 29, 2017 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 5:36 PM

Quote:

A bit of a problem getting downtown, though not just the usual CP mainline capacity issues.
Ah thanks for that. Makes things difficult indeed.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 8:01 PM

So I just received a service update from On-it, route 501 is being removed and some of it's stops being merged with route 500. Also route 503 is being removed.

Is this a sign of too low of ridership or her ambitious starting point? I'm trying to find stats for ridership but am coming up blank. It would be nice to have system wide payment on smart cards if they're starting to make multi transit systems. Don't think it's the best news on regional transit.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 5:44 PM

I understood the deleted stops where part of local travel in Okotoks. There's an article in the western wheel newspaper.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:04 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Interesting, that article from cbc (Aug 7) says they're considering extending Banff service into Fall and Winter, and the WesternWheel article from Aug 11 says they aren't.

http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...anned-20170811

The gist seems to be that it exceeded expectations, but an extension was never part of the plan and they can't change that now.

Dumb.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 3:15 PM

http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...ept-5-20170901

So not getting enough riders. Personally I think the $20 trip to Banff is great but $255 to get to downtown is a bit absurd even if it was all day service.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:59 PM

No surprise there... If Okotoks doesn't have enough commuters to be considered part of the metro, not sure why transit service would get any decent numbers.

In other news, looks like MT has left the forums too? Most of his recent posts have been nuked.. Big loss, he always brought great info to the table in infrastructure discussions

Quote:
[del]

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
No surprise there... If Okotoks doesn't have enough commuters to be considered part of the metro, not sure why transit service would get any decent numbers.
I don't think commuters is a criteria to be in a CMA for stats Canada just merely a 100k and surrounding areas. Regardless, Okotoks doesn't have any system for transit other than on it while places like Moose Jaw and Swift Current have systems. I guess it all comes down to who will use it. People moved to Okotoks with cars knowing they need them so you're trying to convince them to not use them.

It's almost a year in for On It but I'm not sure how successful it's been.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 1:26 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post

In other news, looks like MT has left the forums too? Most of his recent posts have been nuked.. Big loss, he always brought great info to the table in infrastructure discussions
It's not based upon Okotoks as to whether or not Okotoks will be a part of the Calgary CMA - it's actually the whole of the MD of Foothills.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure