HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I admit I know next to nothing about Alfa Romeos, but I was under the impression that they sell generally flashy, sporty European cars but without the sticker shock of actually buying one of the high end European makes.
The list price on most current Alfa Romeos puts them very close to similar cars from BMW and Mercedes. This are definitely not some discount cars that you are going to be seeing everywhere. You can get into a brand new BMW Series 3 for $45,000 while the competing Alfa Romeo Guilia starts just under $49,000 for example. Yes, there are reports of some pretty series discounts on Alfa Romeos that might make it cheaper at the end of the day but if you are in that market you are likely cross shopping the fancy European brands and some internet searches will likely more than offset any discount you can get from Alfa Romeo, unless you are a mechanic named Tony

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Weswick View Post
According to the website of Walt Morris auto dealership in the Waverley auto mall they are building a joint Maserati and Alfa Romeo dealership.
Oh good. Now I can have the oil changed on the La Ferrari.

A nice BWM 4 series is $86,103 so maybe an Italian car is an option..

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Exactly the area isn't Transcona where neighbours are laughed at for not shingling their own roofs!
Transcona and China are 2 peas in a pod.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 10:28 PM

Sears Canada

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/sears-can...ores-1.3631207

Winnipeg better get another department store. Hudson's Bay will be the only department store left here with no brick and mortar competition. In fact, there is limited competition here for Wal-Mart as well. Years back, Kohl's expressed an interest in possibly expanding into Canada. This never happened. I would like a bit more variety.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 12:05 AM

Edit

Last edited by WpG_GuY; Oct 14, 2017 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Move post to p&m thread

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 3:53 PM

Well this is interesting, I just noticed the former Sport Chek on McPhillips has been repainted yellow and the lease signs appear to be gone, I wonder what could be going in there. Is Giant Tiger moving from Jefferson to a more prominent location? Is there a No Frills going in there? Can't think of too many yellow colored stores aside from those.

Speaking of that area the parts of Northgate that were demoed have the new exterior almost done and i've noticed a couple new restaurants opened up in the new mall area along the street.

Also Fit4Less is supposed to open on Oct 18 and by the looks of it the interior is done but they still have no exterior signage for some reason.

Also noticed the remaining rear mall entrance is being demolished at the moment. Appears the dental centre will be getting a new exterior entrance eventually.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 4:56 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ I heard that Sport Chek is angling to get into Garden City SC, likely in the former Sears space.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
Years back, Kohl's expressed an interest in possibly expanding into Canada.
Kohl's is light years ahead of the department stores we have here. That said it isn't a full department store like Sears or Hudson's Bay instead focusing mostly on stuff you wear.

That said, I don't post a lot of the US chatter here but Kohl's is themselves struggling in the USA. They recently struck a weird partnership with Amazon letting you return Amazon purchases that were not from Kohl's to their stores. Considering Amazon is trying to figure out a way into the apparel market this could be Amazon's next brick and mortar takeover target.

--

In terms of possible Sears lease takeovers, the UK Primark is much more recent chatter and they have been making moved into the USA, buying out Sears leases. They have yet to make a Canadian play but not exactly a secret there is a big block of space coming up now and some in decently desirable markets, unlike those old Zeller's leases...

--

Also I doubt that Sports Check would be eyeing Garden City SC. Reportedly the Northgate store closed as it was underperforming. To open a new location in largely the same demographic just would not make sense.

--

As for the yellow on the former Sports Check, it definitely cannot be missed. Not sure which brand is doing it but the whole front of the location was painted that colour so someone definitely is making a brand statement.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:15 PM

Likely Giant Tiger. The old Price Choppers is already painted that colour and they're apparently also going into the old Safeway at Polson and Main soon, now that the asbestos remediation is complete.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:21 PM

I have to admit, I'm impressed with the growth of Giant Tiger in an industry and market segment that is brutally competitive.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I have to admit, I'm impressed with the growth of Giant Tiger in an industry and market segment that is brutally competitive.
Especially considering it's the most bizarre store on earth. I don't get what the concept is. No clue what you would go there looking for.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Alot of GTs growth is driven by NWC’s Northern and international divisions. GT struggles in the market but they try and find locations that suit their customer and business model which is typically on the lower end. They have not been immune to the market conditions they have closed stores in Western Canada over the past few years.

Last edited by WpG_GuY; Today at 1:38 AM.

Old Posted Today, 1:36 AM

As I understand the way Giant Tiger works they have given Northwest Company the Master franchise rights for western Canada and kept the East franchise sales for themselves.

Old Posted Today, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
As I understand the way Giant Tiger works they have given Northwest Company the Master franchise rights for western Canada and kept the East franchise sales for themselves.
That is correct

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan