HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 3:28 AM

Thanks for sharing these renderings. I like the large glass wall at the east end of the new concourse which will provide great views of Mt. Hood. Maybe that already exists in the current concourse E but not like this from what I remember.

I don't get the "closed" concourse A in the rendering... is that a plan? Not that anyone would miss the cramped building for Alaska/Horizon, but I wonder if they are planning an expansion of that concourse at some point. Or maybe just moving operations to B concourse.

Pavlov's Dog, I haven't flown internationally in many years so I don't know the customs issues, but I don't understand the common use approach. If PDX were all common use, would that mean, for example, that SW would just use some gates on the underutilized D concourse when necessary, sharing them low frequency carriers like Jet Blue or Frontier? I could see that PDX is small enough, and doesn't have lots of connecting passengers so maybe grouping airlines isn't necessary like it would be at LAX. But it seems Alaska should have a designated area since quite a few regional flights probably connect through here. It seems like the map on these renderings already shows quite a few common use gates, and I don't see how the current grouping impedes new airlines -- they've added several in the last few years, can't they easily change gate arrangements anyway?

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Thanks for sharing these renderings. I like the large glass wall at the east end of the new concourse which will provide great views of Mt. Hood. Maybe that already exists in the current concourse E but not like this from what I remember.

I don't get the "closed" concourse A in the rendering... is that a plan? Not that anyone would miss the cramped building for Alaska/Horizon, but I wonder if they are planning an expansion of that concourse at some point. Or maybe just moving operations to B concourse.

Pavlov's Dog, I haven't flown internationally in many years so I don't know the customs issues, but I don't understand the common use approach. If PDX were all common use, would that mean, for example, that SW would just use some gates on the underutilized D concourse when necessary, sharing them low frequency carriers like Jet Blue or Frontier? I could see that PDX is small enough, and doesn't have lots of connecting passengers so maybe grouping airlines isn't necessary like it would be at LAX. But it seems Alaska should have a designated area since quite a few regional flights probably connect through here. It seems like the map on these renderings already shows quite a few common use gates, and I don't see how the current grouping impedes new airlines -- they've added several in the last few years, can't they easily change gate arrangements anyway?
I currently live in Oslo our airport has about the same passenger numbers as PDX. At OSL all gates and check in counters are common use. Norwegian and SAS are about the same size at the airport and there are numerous other airlines. In the European (within the Schengen area) section a gate could in theory be used by 10 different airlines in one day. Here is how one IT system provider describes this set-up which is quite common.

Quote:
Common Use Terminal Systems

Rareness spaces in today’s airports is a concern for airports committed to improve their passenger experience, increasing efficiency and reducing passengers waiting time have never been more important. Therefore the need to process more passengers through the same or turn spaces has no longer become an option but a necessity.

With Global Systems CUTE solution, the airports operational team will no longer need dedicated check-in counters but will use the same airport gates, desks and workstations, greatly increasing the volume of traffic that can be accommodated by the infrastructure.

The Shared Platform based on an IP infrastructure can be used by any airline agent allowing access to all the application they need for passengers checking, boarding, transiting with various LDCS DCS and all these on different languages and services
I believe the A gates are intended for use with propeller aircraft. Horizon has transitioned from the Q400 to small jets which can use jetways so that is one impetus for the change.

The way PDX is now only Alaska can use Alaska gates, only Southwest can use Southwest gates and so on. If say American or some new entrant wanted to start a hub and use more than one gate at once that would be impossible to build any scale.

Arriving internationally doesn't give a good impression. It looks pretty run down and first collecting your luggage and then taking it with you on a bus is a major inconvenience and with more and more old and obese travelers is something of an HSE issue. The international departures area is great though and can in theory be used by any departure.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
Arriving internationally doesn't give a good impression. It looks pretty run down and first collecting your luggage and then taking it with you on a bus is a major inconvenience and with more and more old and obese travelers is something of an HSE issue. The international departures area is great though and can in theory be used by any departure.
I strongly agree with this. PDX is not a serious port of entry. It's fortunate that most trips originating in Canada and Mexico clear customs their. Back when Delta had a lot of flights to Asia, thi s area must have been a mess.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 6:46 PM

One difference between European and American airports is that in Europe gates don't tend to get allocated until quite close to boarding. Typically departure screens will just say something like "Go to Concourse B" until the plane is almost ready to board. As a passenger it's a little frustrating, but it allows for a much more efficient utilization of gates than the American system does.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 6:14 PM

AeroMexico to add nonstop Portland-Mexico City flights

AeroMexico will open PDX-MEX later this year

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-aero...-mexico-travel

Portland-Mexico City was previously served by Mexicana years ago.
Volaris Currently flies PDX-Guadalajara.
Alaska currently flies seasonal PDX-Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 6:14 PM

Fantastic add!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 1:32 PM

It's amazing to see 4x flights to Europe on some days. It's wonderful.

--
Asia though, man, I'm dying. We need Korean to start ICN-PDX, or JAL to do PDX-NRT so badly.
Just, a total mess trying to get nearly anywhere in asia without stopping in SEA/SFO/LAX.

It's killing me, someone has to step up.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 4:25 PM

I've flown YVR - HKG a couple times and it was pretty convenient. Certainly better than essentially flying the wrong direction to SFO or LAX first.

But yeah the options for Europe are fantastic right now.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 6:52 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
Asia though, man, I'm dying. We need Korean to start ICN-PDX, or JAL to do PDX-NRT so badly.

It's killing me, someone has to step up.
Agree, but to be fair Portland is already the smallest city in America that has direct flights to both Europe and Asia--and the direct PDX to NRT flight on Delta is pretty rad.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
Agree, but to be fair Portland is already the smallest city in America that has direct flights to both Europe and Asia--and the direct PDX to NRT flight on Delta is pretty rad.
Anchorage has us beat, albeit their service is seasonal and their Asia destination is a small city in Russia.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 8:08 AM

I worry about our Narita flight. With flights opening up to Haneda now and Narita being so far out of the city, I am not sure how committed Delta is to the hub. We have already been forced through Seattle on a couple routes including Beijing, which used to accessible through Narita.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 1:36 AM

PDX named the best domestic airport in the United States...again
Updated on July 11, 2017 at 5:04 PM Posted on July 11, 2017 at 2:51 PM
BY LIZZY ACKER lacker@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...art_river_home

Quote:
In news that will surprise precisely no one who has ever flown through Portland International Airport, the airport has been named the number one best domestic airport in the United States by Travel and Leisure for the fifth year in a row.

Sorry all other airports but come on. While others get longer lines and more terrible places to buy stale donuts, this year PDX opened a tiny movie theater.

"Travelers rave about the java at Stumptown Coffee Roasters and the vegan and vegetarian options at Café Yumm," wrote Travel and Leisure, in their blurb about why PDX was given top honors, "as well as the polite, helpful service."

Travel and Leisure isn't the only publication that has continued to heap praise on our humble international way station. Conde Nast has frequently called it the best in the nation. In 2016, for the second year in a row, J.D. Power and Associates ranked it first in customer satisfaction among large airports. And earlier this year, Time Money named PDX the most stress-free airport in the U.S., again for the second time in a row.

...(continues)

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 3:35 AM
A before E

At this point, the award should go to the second best airport because we already know we are and always will be the best airport.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 12:52 AM

$1.3 billion, 5-year terminal makeover planned at Portland International Airport
Posted on July 15, 2017 at 7:00 AM
By Elliot Njus enjus@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...minal_mak.html

[QUOTE]Considering that new carpet threw PDX travelers for a loop, the airport's next big plan will be a doozy.

Portland International Airport is planning a five-year, $1.3 billion effort to reinvent the core of its terminal. The rolling construction project will be the first major reworking of the terminal, which has been expanded in piecemeal six times since its construction in 1956./QUOTE]

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 11:18 PM

Hawaiian Airlines adds Daily year round PDX-Maui flights

http://mauinow.com/2017/07/24/portla...oute-unveiled/

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 6:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaka07 View Post
Hawaiian Airlines adds Daily year round PDX-Maui flights

http://mauinow.com/2017/07/24/portla...oute-unveiled/
Very exciting. This aircraft is going to allow Hawaiian Airlines to expand and add routes that wouldn't have been possible with their bigger aircraft.

I also saw that Delta is extending their PDX-Honolulu flight through March 18 on Saturday's only. Competition will be good with Alaska and Hawaiian Airlines already on the route.

Does anyone know how Condor, Volaris, and Icelandair are doing with their flights at PDX? Also on a side note, I find it odd that after arriving on an international flight into PDX and after clearing customs and immigration that you have to take a bus back to the main terminal if PDX is your final destination.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 9:13 PM

Nice to see Maui added back. We had Hawaiian to both Honolulu and Maui for years but when Alaska started flying to all the islands Hawaiian cut the Maui flight, what 7 or 8 years ago?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
Nice to see Maui added back. We had Hawaiian to both Honolulu and Maui for years but when Alaska started flying to all the islands Hawaiian cut the Maui flight, what 7 or 8 years ago?
Yeah that's sounds about right. Both Alaska and Hawaiian are great options to the islands for PDX travelers.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post
Does anyone know how Condor, Volaris, and Icelandair are doing with their flights at PDX? Also on a side note, I find it odd that after arriving on an international flight into PDX and after clearing customs and immigration that you have to take a bus back to the main terminal if PDX is your final destination.
My DL flight to Amsterdam in mid-July had a mechanical delay of 8 hours. While DL doesn't have an interline with Condor they were able to reroute a lot of the passengers onto Icelandair so it is not a great sign that they aren't at close to 100% load factor in mid-July. The Condor flight didn't appear to be all that busy either. I wouldn't expect it to last.

Not rectifying the international arrivals situation when the Port is doing a rebuild is a lost opportunity.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
The Condor flight didn't appear to be all that busy either. I wouldn't expect it to last.
Condor just posted a 97.5% June load factor for their Portland operations. Yeah, doesn't appear to be busy at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure