HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 5, 2005, 12:40 AM
Senior Bezerkeleyite

Infinity tower is a nice design. I personally think it is the most architecturally interesting of the group.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2005, 7:38 AM
Posh

This place is just unreal . . .

Does anyone have occupancy rates for offices and apartments in Dubai? I'm just dying to know how much of this space is actually being occupied.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2005, 7:59 PM

I don't know if these are only going to be in the renderings, but I dislike how a lot of the new buildings are on their own pedastal-type structures and/or their own mini-islands as it appears with that first super-tall one. I personally think this makes the buildings look weak and not cohesive amongst themselves. It would work better if they blended in better to the already present cityscape in my opinion. But who knows, maybe the buildings are so tall that they need that bottom base thing.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2005, 9:12 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I think in Dubai there's this problem of building underground. I'm not sure but it might be got to do with water of something like that. Because of this towers are either built on top of a podium or else have an ugly multi-storey built behind the tower (as is the case for all the towers along that highway).

I think some towers integrate that pedestral thingy pretty well into the rest of the tower but I'd agree with you there are some which look like plain shite!

Here's what I think's a great design. Even the car park is properly done:

Old Posted Nov 11, 2005, 9:00 PM

^ Living in aluminum smokestacks. Looks cool anyway.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 8:12 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbautz
Infinity tower is a nice design. I personally think it is the most architecturally interesting of the group.
I don't like Infinity tower as much as some of the others, simply because it's too turning torso-like. Still good looking nonetheless but if this was built before turning torso, I would have most likely thought otherwise. The most interesting tower I think is Ocean heights because it gives the illusion that it twists when in fact it doesn't.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this on www.worldarchitecturenews.com and in terms of getting built, is given the same status as london bridge tower and freedom tower, ie: "design"

This is definitely the craziest proposal for a tower I've ever seen. I'll give it a 2/10 chance of being built
Still a serious proposal though and not just some vision though, so that's enough for it to be here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldarchitecturenews
International firm Dos Architects have been selected to design this 93 floor tower which provide 632 flats. The architects have aimed to create an aesthetic appearance and functionality which are the product of a direct relationship with the surrounding natural environment. Solar panels will provide up to 25% of the total energy consumed within the tower. Its mass and thickness give inertia to the building, as well as thermal resistance to temperature fluctuations in Dubai. Other passive strategies have been adopted to minimise the use of air conditioning and other active devices with great advantages for the occupants’ health, as well as reduced running costs and overall impact of the tower on the environment. Its geometry makes the building almost self-shading to all the glazed elements, whilst still allowing openings to enjoy the external panoramic view. The building’s colour has been inspired by the sand of the dunes.

I really don't know what to think of this. I love black scrapers (my fav is TWT) but this is just so crazy. :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2005, 11:32 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Infinity tower confirmed to be 80F high and 330m.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
I just added this proposed 3-tower complex to the supertall list:

It'll consist of one 340m/85F office tower, a 300m/75F hotel and a 280m/65F res tower. There's no official info on this yet but judging from what a forumer on SSC who works with this sort of stuff said, I'd say it has a good chance of getting built.

Nice cluster. It's very unlike the typical developments in Dubai.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2005, 7:26 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

According to SA Boy on SSC who works with this sort of stuff, this res tower has been cancelled:

Old Posted Nov 17, 2005, 8:28 AM

Hopefully it won't be the first in a long list.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2005, 4:08 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

That one won't be missed much. Sure it was tall, but the design was sub par. Infinity, on the other hand, looks nice, and has such a prominent location in the marina that when it's finished, helicopter rides over the ocean to get photos are definitely in order.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 17, 2005, 6:02 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I know it's not the best looking but I'd prefer if princess tower went instead of this. It'll be of similar height but looks worse than this IMO. At least this one has quite a nice top but still, neither are worthy of the tallest res title.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 4:20 PM

I guess once one building twists they all have to, until the next trend comes along.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2005, 12:51 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbautz
I don't like Infinity tower as much as some of the others, simply because it's too turning torso-like. Still good looking nonetheless but if this was built before turning torso, I would have most likely thought otherwise. The most interesting tower I think is Ocean heights because it gives the illusion that it twists when in fact it doesn't.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this on www.worldarchitecturenews.com and in terms of getting built, is given the same status as london bridge tower and freedom tower, ie: "design"

This is definitely the craziest proposal for a tower I've ever seen. I'll give it a 2/10 chance of being built
Still a serious proposal though and not just some vision though, so that's enough for it to be here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldarchitecturenews
International firm Dos Architects have been selected to design this 93 floor tower which provide 632 flats. The architects have aimed to create an aesthetic appearance and functionality which are the product of a direct relationship with the surrounding natural environment. Solar panels will provide up to 25% of the total energy consumed within the tower. Its mass and thickness give inertia to the building, as well as thermal resistance to temperature fluctuations in Dubai. Other passive strategies have been adopted to minimise the use of air conditioning and other active devices with great advantages for the occupants’ health, as well as reduced running costs and overall impact of the tower on the environment. Its geometry makes the building almost self-shading to all the glazed elements, whilst still allowing openings to enjoy the external panoramic view. The building’s colour has been inspired by the sand of the dunes.

I really don't know what to think of this. I love black scrapers (my fav is TWT) but this is just so crazy. :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

This is the first skyscraper that actually looks alien to me. I fucking love it!!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2005, 4:42 AM
Mindless Drone

^ its also amazing how Dubai also kinda looks like the Back Bay of Boston.:sly

Miami Heat - Dwyane Wade - 2006 NBA Champions

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 9:31 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I'm surprised I didn't post these here yet. Here is a kick-ass rendering made by Larven that shows the supertalls in the marina. Keep in mind that this in no way does it show all the towers. There will be many more on the opposite side of the marina and jumeirah lake towers behind the highway where almas tower will form the centrepiece

And now a crappy one by me:

(image originally taken by essa on SSC

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 11:57 PM
JACKinBeantown

That's insane.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 12:19 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

And now, 2010. The equivalent of 3 rows like the one above will be built (mostly between 20 and 45F, only 1 supertall):

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 1:44 AM
Mindless Drone

That's absolutely insane....what a view and what a collection of buildings. Damn.

Miami Heat - Dwyane Wade - 2006 NBA Champions

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 3:18 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
And now, 2010. The equivalent of 3 rows like the one above will be built (mostly between 20 and 45F, only 1 supertall):

Wow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations