HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 1:49 PM

The aforementioned YHB article also adds:

The costs cited in the City’s claims include rental of the facility for rehearsals and performances from Dec 5 to 11 2011; publicity; rental accessories (including floor rental, trim, tape and “snow”); payment of stagehands, musicians, front of house workers and cleaners; royalty fees; and commissions on merchandise band ticket sales….

The lawsuit was noted in a report delivered to Council’s General Issues Committee on Wednesday, regarding a years-old request by the ballet group for City cultural funds. City staff declared the group ineligible for funding for several reasons, one being its outstanding balance with HECFI.

The report offers additional detail, and itemizes the municipal grants and loans to the CBYE for the Tivoli Theatre.

Hamilton Heritage Property Grant Program (Feasability Study) = $20,000.00
Hamilton Heritage Property Grant Program (Stabilization Work) = $75,455.62
Hamilton Community Heritage Fund Loan Program (Roof Repair) = $49,450.40

That leaves us with a total of $144,906.02, $95,455.62 of that in heritage grants and the remainder in a loan that is secured by a third mortgage on title, and which will become due when the property transfer takes place.

Again from the report:

Staff is not privy to the details of the sale nor the date that the deal will be completed. However, staff of the Urban Renewal Section, Development Planning Section met with Domenic Diamonte on January 8, 2013 to discuss planning approval processes as well as financial incentive programs that would be available if the property was to be purchased by Domenic Diamonte and redeveloped. The financial incentive programs that were highlighted if Domenic Diamonte purchased the property included the following:

 Hamilton Downtown Multi-Residential Property Investment Program
 Hamilton Downtown Property Improvement Grant Program
 Commercial Property Improvement Grant Program
 Hamilton Heritage Property Improvement Grant Program (for the auditorium component of the property)

Staff also advised of the 90% exemption in development charges.

Staff will work with whoever becomes the new owner of the Tivoli property to assist them in the redevelopment process including applications to the suite of Urban Renewal programs for which the development might be eligible.

Should the sale of the Tivoli Theatre be completed, upon the close of the sale, the loan under the HCHF referred to earlier in this Report would become due and payable. If the Hamilton Ballet Youth Ensemble retains ownership of the auditorium portion of the property as part of a change of ownership, staff would have to consider whether or not the loan repayment should be transferred to the new owner, remain with the Hamilton Ballet Youth Ensemble or be paid back. In order for this to be considered as an option. both the seller and the buyer would have to be in “good standing” with the City of Hamilton without any outstanding Municipal debt or tax arrears. Staff is aware that the City has recently issued a statement of claim against the Hamilton Ballet Youth Ensemble seeking payment of unpaid rental fees for the use of the Hamilton Place facility and expenses incurred as a result of the 2011 Hamilton Ballet Youth Ensemble production of “The Nutcracker”.

For the information of Committee and Council, the Hamilton Ballet Youth Ensemble is one and the same as the Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble.

Behind-the-curtain?

PED13055 was co-prepared by Creative Industries' Business Development Consultant Jacqueline Norton, who is both the author of 2009's contentious Building a Creative Catalyst Feasibility Study and better half of Glen Norton, Manager of Urban Renewal for the City of Hamilton, partner in the Studios at Hotel Hamilton and head of Hamilton Realty Capital Corporation, the organization behind the Cannon Knitting Mills project.

When the original Tivoli announcement was made at City Hall, then-Mayor DiIanni pointedly told the media he would be abstaining from any votes around the Tivoli because his wife Janet sat on the on board of CBYE at that time.

Mayor Bratina had apparently been involved with the proposal in the year leading up to the sale during his first term as Ward 2 Councillor; the sale itself was announced 10 weeks before the 2006 municipal election. More recently, the Diamante family donated a total of $2,375 between Mayor Bratina's two post-election fundraisers.

Last edited by thistleclub; Mar 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 2:18 PM

I'll second that - it's a must-read for Hamiltonians new and old alike.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 5:22 PM

Thanks for sharing all this information! Much to read and think about.

Meantime, this thought continually troubles me: the possible sale of the property to the husband of the foundation's Director is bizarre, even if the window-dressing is taken care of (repayments, etc.) If I was on that Foundation's board I would be demanding independent legal advice.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
If you're looking to weed out nepotism, bad actors and lapsed oversight inside City Hall or the local business/cultural sectors, you will never be bored for the remainder of your mortal days...
Life is too short for this! But some things appear so blatantly wrong. Residents should be outraged. The shrug is not enough.

I'm hoping a real leader and innovator will emerge as a mayoralty candidate.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 6:10 PM

No shrug intended. I wouldn't have answered in such detail if I wasn't concerned.

I'm not privy to the details of how the 2006 sale was formulated, but as I’ve posted previously, it’s an intricate tapestry that can muddy meaning. (Added to all of that churn was the 2001 attempt by then-Minister of Heritage Sheila Copps to have the Tivoli federally designated.)

Credit where credit’s due.

Sam Sniderman facing $300,000 charge to save Hamilton’s historic Tivoli Theatre (July 9, 2004)

Sam (The Record Man) Sniderman says he regrets the day he and his late brother, Sid, bought Hamilton’s historic Tivoli Theatre and tried to save the cultural landmark for the city.

He says the Sniderman family is now facing a bill of about $300,000 for the partial demolition and shoring-up work the city ordered after a section of wall collapsed last week.

“Oh my God, I pray insurance will cover it,” Sniderman, 84, said when told of the looming bill from the emergency services company hired to stabilize the building.

Tom Redmond, the city’s director of building and licensing, says Sniderman will have to cover the cost or it will be put on the building’s tax bill.

The city had to do more than the minimum work it wanted on the heritage-designated building because of the poor condition of the roof and walls.

“Every effort has been made to keep as much of the building as can safely be kept, because of its heritage nature,” Redmond said.

Many of the heritage architectural elements have now been lost.

The owners will have to decide whether the building is restored or demolished, said Redmond.

Council moved to address this potential threat to the Tivoli’s historic remnant by moving on designation a week after the above story ran and creating a related bylaw in October 2004.

Regarding the 2009 grant awarded to underwrite costs of stabilization, PED13055 notes that:

The proposed works were based on a report prepared by PGA GBCA dated March 2009, outlining existing conditions and proposed stabilization works on the Tivoli Theatre. Subsequently in December 2009, in accordance with the terms and conditions of the HHPGP, a grant was advanced to the Hamilton Ballet Youth Ensemble in the amount of $75,455.62 representing 25% of the paid invoices received which totalled $301,822.50.

The suggestion here is that the remaining $226,366.88 for stabilization work was spent by a third party, presumably CBYE. Again, I'm not privy to the paperwork.

Last edited by thistleclub; Mar 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 6:19 PM

Quote:
No shrug intended. I wouldn't have answered in such detail if I wasn't concerned...
No no. Not you shrugging! I meant that shrug of a Hamilton resident, weary of the same-old same-old bull$hit that defines the city in a certain way. That resident has given up.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Meantime, this thought continually troubles me: the possible sale of the property to the husband of the foundation's Director is bizarre, even if the window-dressing is taken care of (repayments, etc.) If I was on that Foundation's board I would be demanding independent legal advice.
Perhaps for tax advantages... It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 1:11 AM

Quote:

Behind-the-curtain?

PED13055 was co-prepared by Creative Industries' Business Development Consultant Jacqueline Norton, who is both the author of 2009's contentious Building a Creative Catalyst Feasibility Study and better half of Glen Norton, Manager of Urban Renewal for the City of Hamilton, partner in the Studios at Hotel Hamilton and head of Hamilton Realty Capital Corporation, the organization behind the Cannon Knitting Mills project.

When the original Tivoli announcement was made at City Hall, then-Mayor DiIanni pointedly told the media he would be abstaining from any votes around the Tivoli because his wife Janet sat on the on board of CBYE at that time.

Mayor Bratina had apparently been involved with the proposal in the year leading up to the sale during his first term as Ward 2 Councillor; the sale itself was announced 10 weeks before the 2006 municipal election. More recently, the Diamante family donated a total of $2,375 between Mayor Bratina's two post-election fundraisers.
That's amazing! I love it. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 2:30 PM

More woes for the CBYE/HBYE. Tax filings and who's on the board.

http://yourhamiltonbiz.com/questions...sue=2013-03-22

(thistleclub, can you do your magic and reproduce the article?)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:
The aforementioned YHB article also adds:

The costs cited in the City’s claims include rental of the facility for rehearsals and performances from Dec 5 to 11 2011; publicity; rental accessories (including floor rental, trim, tape and “snow”); payment of stagehands, musicians, front of house workers and cleaners; royalty fees; and commissions on merchandise band ticket sales….

The lawsuit was noted in a report delivered to Council’s General Issues Committee on Wednesday, regarding a years-old request by the ballet group for City cultural funds. City staff declared the group ineligible for funding for several reasons, one being its outstanding balance with HECFI.

The report offers additional detail, and itemizes the municipal grants and loans to the CBYE for the Tivoli Theatre.

Hamilton Heritage Property Grant Program (Feasability Study) = $20,000.00
Hamilton Heritage Property Grant Program (Stabilization Work) = $75,455.62
Hamilton Community Heritage Fund Loan Program (Roof Repair) = $49,450.40

That leaves us with a total of $144,906.02, $95,455.62 of that in heritage grants and the remainder in a loan that is secured by a third mortgage on title, and which will become due when the property transfer takes place.

Again from the report:

Staff is not privy to the details of the sale nor the date that the deal will be completed. However, staff of the Urban Renewal Section, Development Planning Section met with Domenic Diamonte on January 8, 2013 to discuss planning approval processes as well as financial incentive programs that would be available if the property was to be purchased by Domenic Diamonte and redeveloped. The financial incentive programs that were highlighted if Domenic Diamonte purchased the property included the following:

 Hamilton Downtown Multi-Residential Property Investment Program
 Hamilton Downtown Property Improvement Grant Program
 Commercial Property Improvement Grant Program
 Hamilton Heritage Property Improvement Grant Program (for the auditorium component of the property)

Staff also advised of the 90% exemption in development charges.

Staff will work with whoever becomes the new owner of the Tivoli property to assist them in the redevelopment process including applications to the suite of Urban Renewal programs for which the development might be eligible.

Should the sale of the Tivoli Theatre be completed, upon the close of the sale, the loan under the HCHF referred to earlier in this Report would become due and payable. If the Hamilton Ballet Youth Ensemble retains ownership of the auditorium portion of the property as part of a change of ownership, staff would have to consider whether or not the loan repayment should be transferred to the new owner, remain with the Hamilton Ballet Youth Ensemble or be paid back. In order for this to be considered as an option. both the seller and the buyer would have to be in “good standing” with the City of Hamilton without any outstanding Municipal debt or tax arrears. Staff is aware that the City has recently issued a statement of claim against the Hamilton Ballet Youth Ensemble seeking payment of unpaid rental fees for the use of the Hamilton Place facility and expenses incurred as a result of the 2011 Hamilton Ballet Youth Ensemble production of “The Nutcracker”.

For the information of Committee and Council, the Hamilton Ballet Youth Ensemble is one and the same as the Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble.

Behind-the-curtain?

Wow - you did a lot of work posting this - kudos. What a tale of intrigue. Worth noting that with HECFI suing them the Mercantis might also be involved, as well as Santucci on the board. At this point separating the issues from the personalities is impossible.

It seems like the lawsuit is timed a little too conveniently with the sale. I wonder if the idea is that for the owner to be 'in good standing' also requires them to have repaid this HECFI debt? Seems like the city is wielding a hammer here to tell the Diamantis that they got the building as a charity and they better not try to leverage it into a windfall.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 3:13 PM

An excerpt from the article in question.

Questions arise over youth ballet group’s tax filings
(YourHamiltonBiz.com, Saira Peesker, March 23 2013)

Two former board members of the non-profit that owns the Tivoli Theatre say they’re surprised to hear the organization is still using their names of tax returns, years after they resigned their positions.

Janet DiIanni and Scouter Ward both say they haven’t been involved with the Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble, also known as the Hamilton ballet Youth Ensemble, for years….

The ballet’s Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) filings, which are publicly available due to its charitable status, list DiIanni as board member each year from 2005 [to] 2012, with the exception of 2008. She says she resigned around 2007, and was only a part of the group’s leadership in a very loose sense….

She says Ward resigned shortly after she did. When reached at his Brantford home on Wednesday, he said he left a while back but he was hazy on the date.

“Unfortunately we got caught up in other activities and I had to resign a couple of years ago,” he said. “I think it was around 2010, but you lose track of time.”

He remains listed on the organization’s most recent return, in 2012, which shows five people holding 12 positions. YourHamiltonBiz tried to contact the other three — longtime CEO Belma Diamante, Maggie Blaschuk and Lucy Stawiarski — with no success….

Aside from Diamante, Blaschuk and Stawiarski, the group’s board appears to have been in flux for some time. The directors listed on its website are different from those on its tax return, an dboth are different than who is actually on the board, according to current member Gary Santucci. He says the current composition includes himself, Diamante, Blaschuk and Stawiarski, as well as lawyer Gina Gentili and audio-visual entrepreneur Bill Geekie. Both Gentili and Geekie confirmed this when contacted by YourHamiltonBiz.com.

Geekie said he only joined the board recently and is not particularly involved.

“I told them I would help,” said Geekie, whose interest lies more in saving the Tivoli than it does in ballet. “As to what my involvement is, I don’t really know.”

Last edited by thistleclub; Mar 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 12:37 AM

Any mid-sized city gives you plenty of dots to connect and plenty of intersecting lines. The more you find out, the less you seem to really know. Even so, here’s another look at the Tivoli nebula.

• The report Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble - Tivoli Theatre (PED13055) was co-prepared by Creative Industries' Business Development Consultant Jacqueline Norton, who is the co-author of 2009's contentious Building a Creative Catalyst Feasibility Study, real estate agent, home stager and better half of Glen Norton. Glen Norton is Manager of Urban Renewal for the City of Hamilton, partner in the Studios at Hotel Hamilton and head of Hamilton Realty Capital Corporation, the organization behind the Cannon Knitting Mills project; his office launched the UrbanSpace real estate brochures and directory of "workplace inventory for the creative class." PED13055 notes that “Committee of the Whole members suggested that the Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble should be part of the ‘Creative Catalyst’ funding mix.”

• Appendix B to the Hamilton Music Strategy (PED14001, prepared by Jacqueline Norton) catalogues an April 2013 SWOT analysis. Among the Opportunities identified: “Encourage, facilitate efforts to secure mid-sized live performance venues in downtown core (i.e., Tivoli Theatre and Lincoln Alexander Centre).”

• In the summer of 1988, Creative Arts impresario Bill Powell and veteran Hess Village promoter Jim Skarratt announced plans to purchase the Tivoli Theatre. They conceived of the building as a local cultural hub that would colocate several of the city's independent arts organizations. Though the bid fizzled, the vision endured. As early as 1990, the Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra and Opera Hamilton were sizing up the venue as a shared rehearsal and performance space.

• A similar concept was floated again in August 2004. When the Planning and Economic Development Committee was debating designation of the Tivoli auditorium under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, an arts delegation spoke in favour of the Tivoli’s heritage designation toward that end. Members of that delegation (some of whom supplied written statements of support in lieu of appearing) were Patti Cannon (Arts Hamilton Executive Director), Bill Manson (Arts Hamilton board member and author of the heritage reference tomes Footsteps in Time), Mike Townsend (Creative Arts VP), Ken Coit (Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, Hamilton Branch) and veteran live music promoter Tom Dertinger (Tivoli Task Force). Townsend supported heritage designation, Coit noted that Arts Hamilton and Creative Arts had been collaborating on a long-term solution for a functioning theatre and Manson spoke of the potential creation of a community arts centre -- auditorium used as a performing arts venue for local music/dance/theatre groups, and the rest of the site adapted as exhibition space for visual artists and the like. Among those on the Arts Hamilton board at the time: architect Bill Curran and honourary board member Sam Sniderman, then-owner of the Tivoli. (Sniderman and STRM Inc. also held buildings at 65 King East, 81 King East and 195 King East.) Then-Chair of the Board of Directors of Arts Hamilton Kevin Land was a founding member of Theatre Terra Nova, a group that commissioned and produced Evelyn Dick drama How Could You Mrs. Dick?, which would go on to be the first play staged in the reopened Tivoli in 1991. (Arts Hamilton was previously known as the Hamilton & Region Arts Council and in recent years rebranded as Hamilton Arts Council.)

• In his capacity as Urban Designer with the City of Hamilton's Planning and Economic Development Department, Coit later helped to prepare a group of exploratory options for redevelopment of the Tivoli’s James North component as well as exploratory options for James & Vine, both released in 2005.

• In 2005, Ron Marini, Glen Norton’s predecessor as Director of the City’s Downtown Renewal Division, noted that the City was actively “trying to attract a purchaser or a tenant who will create the economic means to reuse the space,” and apparently contacted various groups from the city’s Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese communities who might have an interest in the Tivoli Theatre. Marini later acknowledged that the City helped the CBYE prepare an application for federal infrastructure funding.

• The Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble was founded in 1991 by Vitek Wincza, who would go on to found the Hamilton Conservatory of the Arts in 1997. That year, HCA gave rise to the Hamilton Nutcracker, which was choreographed and produced by Wincza, and which played to capacity crowds at Hamilton Place for eight consecutive years. Vitek and his wife Victoria Long-Wincza are instrumental in driving Supercrawl's Kids Crawl programming, which is fitting. In 1996, Vitek Wincza founded arts outreach non-profit Culture for Kids in the Arts; HCA's citywide Artasia initiative was an outgrowth of that. Although he has apparently parted ways with the CYBE circa 2006, Vitek remains passionate about dance, and his production of the multi-disciplinary project Displacement earned critical applause in Hamilton and Toronto.

• In November 2001, then-Minister of Heritage Sheila Copps reportedly attempted to have the Tivoli federally designated by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, a move which would open a faucet of restoration grants. Minister Copps was alleged to have said: “We'll still proceed if we get [the designation] or not. The long-term goal is the restoration of the Tivoli.”

• In July 2004, Sam Sniderman and brother Sid, facing a hefty bill for the partial demolition and shoring-up work related to the collapse of the Tivoli's carriage factory portion, were debating whether to raze or restore the theatre. In the face of this imminent threat, Council swiftly moved on designation, later creating a related bylaw in Oct 2004.

• The collapse of the Tivoli also gave rise to the City’s Built Heritage Emergency Management Protocol (PD05122), unveiled in April 2005.

Historia Building Restoration’s Jeff Feswick was a member of Hamilton LACAC (Municipal Heritage Committee) at the time of the Tivoli Theatre’s partial collapse, though apparently absent from the July 2004 meeting at which the request for consent to demolish the former carriage factory portion of the Tivoli was addressed. (In his capacity as President of the Hamilton-Halton Construction Association, he missed the June 12, 2006 debate over LIUNA’s demolition permit request for the Lister Block, though presumably over philosophical differences: The HHCA supported the request.) More recently, Feswick purchased Treble Hall and has undertaken its restoration. Aside from his term at LACAC (2001-2005), he also served as Chair of the Board of Directors of Arts Hamilton, 2010-2011, succeeded in the role by David Premi, with whom he partnered on the SeedWorks co-working space.

• Ward 1 Councillor Brian McHattie, a long-time heritage buff and another former member of LACAC (2003-2010), reportedly counts the Tivoli among his favourite old buildings in the city, though he has said that the building "is not in great shape and there’s no clear path forward" to protect it. Last year, McHattie created a heritage-minded Citizens' Forum on Cultural Conservation, whose inaugural meeting featured a heritage preservation presentation from Jeff Feswick. McHattie was also an Arts Hamilton board member from 2003 to 2010. In September 2006, Councillor McHattie reminded his colleagues that the Tivoli was pitched as the cultural companion to Hamilton Artists Inc., with the latter imagined as "an incubator for the arts."

Donna Reid was also a LACAC member at the time of the Tivoli collapse, and appears to have been the de facto committee steward of the Tivoli Theatre file. A longtime heritage advocate, she was instrumental in organizing the inaugural Doors Open Hamilton in 2003, which featured 25 founding sites, among them the Tivoli. (In recognition of her services to heritage, Reid was awarded the Ontario Heritage Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award in 2005.) She also served as executive assistant to Councillor Bratina from 2005-2010.

In March 2006, then-Councillor Bob Bratina informed LACAC that he had toured the Tivoli with Theatre Aquarius artistic director Max Reimer, who acknowledged the backstage limitations but was enthusiastic about the auditorium itself and expressed interest in exploring avenues for reuse, possibly as part of a larger education facility. Councillor Bratina had apparently been involved with the CYBE proposal in the year leading up to the sale; the sale itself was announced 10 weeks before the 2006 municipal election. More recently, CYBE CEO Belma Diamante and her family donated a total of $2,375 between Mayor Bratina's two post-election fundraisers. Bob Bratina was listed as a member of the CYBE Advisory Board during the 2007-2008 period.

• When the original Tivoli announcement was made at City Hall in August 2006, then-Mayor Larry DiIanni pointedly told the media he would be abstaining from any votes around the Tivoli because his wife Janet sat on the on board of CBYE at that time. (She resigned around 2007.) Unremarked-upon was the fact that Mayor DiIanni was listed as a member of the CYBE Advisory Board at the time of the Tivoli sale. (An earlier intersection: CYBE CEO Belma Diamante had donated $285 to Larry DiIanni’s 2003 mayoral campaign, according to the candidate’s March 2005 financial disclosures.)

• In December 2006, the doors to the Tivoli were opened for a press conference. In media coverage the next day, Gord Moodie, loans and grants coordinator for the city's downtown renewal division, indicated that $7 million had been secured through a first mortgage. The Spec noted that “Once the business plan is complete, the city will consider using funds from heritage and downtown renewal budgets for the restoration, as well as from the Hamilton Realty Capital Corporation.” (That has yet to materialize, though PED13055 suggests that there are some substantial financial incentives in the wings.) Gord Moodie was listed as a member of the CYBE Advisory Board during the 2007-2008 period. He was also reportedly the individual who first suggested the Tivoli to Diamante. Nevertheless, by the second anniversary of the Tivoli sale, Moodie conceded that it would take multiple arts tenants to make the Tivoli economically viable.

• In 2007, the CYBE was not located at 145 Main East, as it currently is; it was being run out of a third-floor apartment in Westdale.

• In 2009, Tourism Hamilton awarded Belma Diamante the 2009 Arts and Entertainment Ambassador Award. Tourism Hamilton Executive Director David Adames was listed as a member of the CYBE Advisory Board during the 2006-2008 period.

• The demolition work and parkette construction in the footprint of the Tivoli was the work of Copper Cliff Metals and Wrecking Corp., a company owned by Anthony DePasquale. DePasquale had bought the Dynes Tavern (a pre-Confederation beach strip drinking hole that was the longest continually operating tavern in Canada) in 2002 -- and demolished it five years later, without a permit. Copper Cliff was later a subcontractor on the Lister Block, not without causing alarm. This is partly attributable to the owner’s mottled business history. It also owes to the fact that Copper Cliff had been linked to the demolition of the Balfour Building, though the company was also entrusted with dis-assembly, removal, storage, and re-assembly of the façade of the William Thomas Building and was later single-source contractor for stabilization of St. Mark’s Church.

• Prior to being owned by CBYE, the Tivoli was home to Loren Lieberman’s Tivoli Renaissance Project from 1998 to the 2004 collapse (which Lieberman learned of while away on honeymoon). TRP served as HQ for Creative Arts Inc. of which Lieberman is General Manager. When he inherited that position from Bill Powell, Lieberman had just turned 30, making him the most influential young creative professional in the city at that time. Lieberman had sought out funding support to address repairs to the aging building on a number of occasions but made limited headway; he issued a plaintive 11th hour call to arms after the roof collapsed, to no avail. Post-Tivoli, Lieberman staged an unsuccessful run for Ward 2 Councillor during the 2004 byelection. Creative Arts moved to the old CHCH studios on Main West (rebranded as the Westside Concert Theatre for a few years) and Lieberman became a community cable contrarian. One of the largely redacted James North pioneers, he has become something of a black sheep of the local creative community. That can be credited in part to his skepticism regarding the economic fundamentals of James North and rejection of "the nonsense notion that the arts community exists only on James Street North." In response to the Creative Catalyst fracas, Lieberman offered to act as moderator for an arts community meeting. Since then, the move of Creative Arts' Festival of Friends from Gage Park to Ancaster Fairgrounds, in addition to Lieberman's role as partner and spokesman for the Carmen’s Group casino bid (as well as entertainment director for the Hamilton Convention Centre) has done little to ingratiate him with downtown creatives. (Lieberman's detractors would be tickled to learn that he played Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, the final production staged at the Tiv.)

• In early 1992, the Tivoli hosted a series of events staged by legendary film archivist Reg Hartt, such as mainstays The Anarchist Surrealist Film Festival (featuring classics by Buñuel, Artaud and Cocteau) and The Sex And Violence Cartoon Festival, as well as an all-night, six-film showcase of Hammer Horror films. By late 1992, Crossfire Assembly entered into a five-year lease for the Tivoli. When the lease expired they moved to their current location near Victoria Park -- two doors west of what would later become the Westside Concert Theatre.

Reportedly opened to live music performances in 1995, the Tivoli hosted a variety of concerts, many booked by Tom Dertinger. Among the prominent Canadian acts to appear on the Tivoli stage: Sarah McLachlan, Blue Rodeo, Loreena McKennitt, The Grapes of Wrath, Junkhouse, Daniel Lanois, The Killjoys, Stephen Fearing, Garnet Rogers, Jackie Washington, Sarah Harmer, Be Good Tanyas, Hayden and Julie Doiron. One of the last shows appears to have been Godspeed You! Black Emperor, who played three months before the roof collapse of the Tivoli’s 1875 carriage factory section.

• The Tivoli also reportedly hosted 14 movie shoots, some of which were facilitated by film liaison officer Jacqueline Norton (née McNeilly). In 2003’s Bulletproof Monk, for example, the Tivoli appeared as the Golden Palace. Prior to McNeilly's appointment as film commissioner in early 2001, the Tivoli saw extensive exposure in 2000’s Rated X, in which it served as a loose approximation of San Francisco’s O’Farrel Theatre. It also gets a fair bit of play in 2001’s Laughter on the 23rd Floor.

• Cultural connector Jeremy Freiburger's first foray into arts administration and adaptive reuse was as assistant to HCA Artistic Director Vitek Wincza, where he also worked on the CYBE's annual Hamilton Nutcracker ballet. An early proponent of the Creative Catalyst hub development, he currently manages the Studios at Hotel Hamilton as well as Cobalt Connects (preceded by Cossart Exchange and Imperial Cotton Centre for the Arts). Jacqueline Norton was a board member at Imperial Cotton Centre for the Arts circa 2008-2009; the Creative Industries page on the City’s economic development website links to Freiburger’s Cobalt Connects exclusively as “the connecting element for creative communities.” (Neil Everson, Director of Economic Development & Real Estate, was also a founding board member.) During that period Frieburger served on the City’s Economic Development Advisory Committee via the Hamilton Civic Coalition, later known as the Jobs Prosperity Collaborative. Freiburger was listed as a member of the CYBE Advisory Board at the time of the Tivoli purchase. He is also on the Board of Directors of Supercrawl, a festival he has been involved with since its inception and whose director is Tim Potocic.

Tim Potocic, a co-owner of 118 James North, has sought ownership of the neighbouring Tivoli. Potocic (a Cobalt Connects/ICCA board member since 2008, Vice-Chair of the city’s Arts Funding Task Force, Secretary of the Hamilton Arts Council under president David Premi and co-chair of the Hamilton Music Core Group under chair Jacqueline Norton) is also co-owner of Sonic Unyon Recording Company, whose partners own/manage 11 properties in the James North area and which was a bid partner on HECFI facility management alongside Forum Equity Partners.

Forum Equity Partners is partnering with the City on the Cannon Knitting Mills (aka Mills Innovation Exchange) via the Hamilton Realty Capital Corporation, “a co-investment partnership initiative between Forum Equity Partners and the City of Hamilton created to stimulate real estate development within the Downtown Community Improvement Project Area.” HRCC is a for-profit development corporation. Forum Equity Partners reportedly tapped Cobalt Connects to help create a plan for the Cannon Knitting Mills, but the developers reportedly didn't keep in touch. (Trivia: Forum Equity president Richard Abboud had previously been linked to the idea of a Gehry on the West Harbour. Abboud was a contributor to Fred Eisenberger's re-election bid; he and partner Jitanjli Datt were also contributors to Bratina’s 2010 mayoral campaign.)

• A second offer on the Tivoli was reportedly made by tech tycoon/digital entrepreneur/venture capitalist Mark Chamberlain, Chair of the Jobs Prosperity Collaborative, Founding Chair of the Innovation Factory board (2010-2013) and, since 2008, an oft-invoked challenger for the city's mayoralty. (Trivia: Scott Smith, Director of Operations of Innovation Factory, is a Principal and Co-Managing Partner in the Studios at Hotel Hamilton; he succeeded previous IF COO Keanin Loomis, now President & CEO of the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce.)

• The other author of the Building a Creative Catalyst Feasibility Study was Paul Shaker, Executive Director of the Centre for Community Study, formerly Mayor Eisenberger’s Advisor for Rural & Urban Affairs and a member of LACAC from 2004-2007. Shaker’s Centre for Community Study and Freiburger’s Imperial Cotton Centre for the Arts were two-thirds of Creative Catalyst precursor the Hamilton Creative City Initiative. Before that, CCS’s reports Hamilton and the Creative Class (2004) and Creative City (2005) offered statistical assessments of Hamilton’s cultural sector and its economic development potential. Shaker's CCS has supplied event analytics for Supercrawl, and he is also a partner in Rethink Renewal with Cannon Knitting Mills project architect David Premi and Chamber of Commerce initiative Renew Hamilton alongside Glen Norton and others.

• Paul Shaker, Jacqueline Norton, Jeremy Freiburger and Tim Potocic were the panelists for an April 2010 discussion at Acclamation entitled What is James Street North?, moderated by Martinus Geleynse, one of the original tenants of Studios at Hotel Hamilton and, along with Jacqueline Norton, then co-chair of the board of The Factory: Hamilton Media Arts Centre. As one of the Studios’ original tenants, Geleynse had access to the owners’ braintrust via the since-discontinued Mentor’s Corner program. (In August 2010, Geleynse entered the race to succeed Bob Bratina as Ward 2 councillor, running his campaign out of the same address as The Factory. Among his campaign donors were Jeremy Freiburger and future Renew Hamilton team members Glen Norton, David Premi and Keanin Loomis; the latter, now Chamber president, once served as Chief Advocate at Geleynse’s Hamilton24 festival.) Geleynse’s monthly publication Urbanicity counts Shaker and Loomis among its contributors; his MGI Media has staged urban renewal bus tours to rustbelt cities such as Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Detroit, each of which included Glen Norton among its participants.

• Jacqueline Norton and Jeremy Freiburger had been panelists at a testy April 2009 debate entitled Creative Cities: Can the Arts Save Hamilton? at the Art Gallery of Hamilton, moderated by Terry Cooke. Also on the bill: Gary Santucci of the Pearl Company (and, more recently, the CYBE Board of Directors). Prominent voices in the subsequent Q+A were Bill Powell, Loren Lieberman, Ken Coit and then-councillor Bob Bratina.

Gary Santucci partnered in the 1998 resuscitation of the Red Mill Theatre just south of the Tivoli and in 2005 served as manager of the Downtown Cultural Centre (now Downtown Arts Centre), exiting over artistic differences and promptly going on to launch The Pearl Company. By the fall after the Tivoli announcement, the CYBE was using the Pearl Company as rehearsal space. In January 2010, Santucci launched a new studio gallery at the Lincoln Alexander Centre along with Crowne Plaza owner Oscar Kichi, who sank $4 million into building the LAC. The debut exhibition featured the Tiger Group arts collective, of which Bill Powell was an inaugural member. (By mid-May 2010, the Lincoln Alexander Centre was mothballed as a performing arts theatre. The same day that story ran, a bankruptcy order was issued against Grand Connaught Development Group, of which Kichi was a member.) Santucci has alluded to the creation of a local collective called the Tivoli Performing Arts Association said to be contributing to to the theatre's redevelopment plans.

Domenic Diamante is the principal of Diamante Holdings but also appears to be the principal of 1130419 Ontario Inc., more commonly known as CBS Property Management, which owns and manages off-campus housing in Waterloo. In June 2012, 1130419 Ontario Inc. submitted an application to demolish the eight townhouses on its Waterloo property to make room for five new 20-24 storey apartment buildings; a variation on this high density concept was spit-balled in a May 2008 agreement in principle with the University of Waterloo. CBS Property Management is located at 292 James N but Google results also suggest an affiliation with 119 King East. That address also correlates with Diamante Holdings partner Cash on the Spot. (The property in question listed for just under $300K and recently sold.) CBS Property Management also appears to have a foothold in Burlington at 2114 Lakeshore Road, and appears in a Development and Infrastructure report on the Old Lakeshore Road Precinct Study appealing Interim Control By-law 113-2006. That property is expected to be consolidated with its neighbours as part of a waterfront redevelopment decades in the making.

• In February 2013, architect Drew Hauser revealed that he was “working on a redevelopment project connected to the Tivoli.” Hauser currently serves as chair of the Hamilton/Burlington Society of Architects and sits on the Government Affairs Committee at the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce. McCallum/Sather, the firm at which he is a principal, is also designing the Hamilton Grand, participated in an early design charrette for 270 Sherman North (aka Imperial Cotton Centre for the Arts) and was previously connected to the renovation of the Studios at Hotel Hamilton.

May you live in interesting times, etc.

Last edited by thistleclub; Apr 21, 2014 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 1:00 AM

Jesus, my head's spinning. It's all very incestuous.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 2:07 PM

Thanks for that Thistle.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 4:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

Deal closes for downtown Tivoli Theatre

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...i-theatre-sold

Hamilton’s historic Tivoli Theatre has a new owner after a long-rumoured sale closed Monday.

The Spectator has learned that the heritage property sold for $900,000 in a deal between the Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble and a numbered company owned by local developer Domenic Diamante.

Diamante is the husband of Belma Gurdil-Diamante, who runs the charitable dance company. Land registry records show that the purchase was through 1150735 Ontario Ltd., registered to Domenic Diamante.

When The Spectator reported on the pending sale of the James Street North property in February 2013, there was no time frame for the deal’s closure.

CBYE director Gary Santucci said then that, under the terms of the sale, the ballet company would retain ownership of the auditorium while the rest of the property would be developed commercially. He said the deal would facilitate restoration of the theatre.

The ballet ensemble originally acquired the theatre in 2006 for $2 from the Sniderman family of the Sam the Record Man fame. Since then, the City of Hamilton has provided the ballet company with $144,906.02 in grants and loans toward feasibility studies, stabilization work and roof repair.

For example, the city loaned about $50,000 in 2010 to help retrofit the roof, secured by a third mortgage on the Tivoli property. Last week’s report to council said the $50,000 would be due upon a sale, but city staff could consider options such as transferring the loan repayment to the new owner.

Other financial items also must be in the clear. It said that both the seller and the buyer would have to be in “good standing” with the city to take advantage of financial incentives, including a 90 per cent exemption in development charges.

The most contentious item is a $48,000 lawsuit by the Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities (HECFI) against the ballet company for alleged unpaid fees associated with the 2011 production of the Nutcracker at Hamilton Place.

Santucci has said CBYE rejects the claim, alleging it is “short on factual data.”

A report presented at council’s general issues committee last week said city staff from urban renewal and development planning met with Diamante in early January. They discussed planning approval processes and financial incentives that Diamante would be eligible for if the property was purchased and redeveloped, such as the Hamilton Downtown Multi-Residential Property Investment Program.

Special to The Hamilton Spectator

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 5:41 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
...The Spectator has learned that the heritage property sold for $900,000 in a deal between the Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble and a numbered company owned by local developer Domenic Diamante.

Diamante is the husband of Belma Gurdil-Diamante, who runs the charitable dance company. Land registry records show that the purchase was through 1150735 Ontario Ltd., registered to Domenic Diamante...
When your lenses are smudged the optics of this look just fine.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 7:07 PM

The Spec just took down the Comments section for the article, it seems.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 8:01 PM

Looks like it was updated of something?

Same article number in the URL, but different title, this one has comments: http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...tivoli-theatre

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Looks like it was updated of something?

Same article number in the URL, but different title, this one has comments: http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...tivoli-theatre
Thx.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 11:40 AM

Aaaand comments are gone again. One of the many reasons I'm frustrated by the Spec...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton