HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 7:25 PM

[Bedford] Bedford Waterfront Phase II | Proposed

Here are some renderings/diagrams of the plan (all photos copied from the PDF here; Bedford Waterfront Design Study

Existing condition;
Red = Southgate Village
Black = 827 Bedford Highway
Purple = 864 Bedford Highway
Green = Dockside

Ferry Terminal:

Building Floor Counts:

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jun 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 9:55 PM
hi

Wow, that's ambitious alright! It looks like it would be very cool, although a small part of me wishes it could be done at an even more central spot, like somewhere along the Dartmouth waterfront... Anyway, I do really like Bedford and I still hope this goes ahead one way or another!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 10:16 PM
Honored Member

It looks great - much better than having it all parkland.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 11:01 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

It looks like a wider spread Harbour Isle style Project. I like this one better. Needs more Highrises! Nine 12 storey building's helps though.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 11:11 PM

I retract my previous opinion on parkland - although I think there will be more grass/park surfaces then what appears. I'm sure there will be less hard surfaces than it appears - either way, very ambitious and looks awesome.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 11:20 PM
Honored Member

This is truly awe-inspiring. The man-made island and marina looks great. With global warming Bedford could become the Florida of the North. Hard to believe that it is being proposed for Bedford.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 12:09 AM

Wow, and this is proposed for Bedford. It looks like something from Miami or Los Angeles. This looks like a great development for Bedford. I have no issues with it at all.

I hope to see it go ahead.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 12:42 AM

wow.....thats all i have to say.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 12:58 AM

Looks like they took the pages from Granville Island Van. Looks very gooooooood!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 1:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This is exactly the kind of town centre that the southern part of Bedford needs. It is a very pretty area and would be great if it had some more pedestrian-oriented parts. Shore Drive is one of the nicest suburban areas I've seen anywhere in Canada and is cheap compared to nice parts of Vancouver or Toronto.

They could go a bit farther with the Moirs Village part, maybe with another parking structure and some more condos. They could also add some kind of improved bus access (special exits and busways from the Bedford Hwy through the new development to the ferry terminal).

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 1:27 AM

this is a great project. once this is built out and the chinatown site. this end of the basin will have an inpressive skyline.

from a layman's perspective, there seems to be an over abundance of above ground parking.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 2:24 AM

if they are actually going through with this, it will be amazing and one of the best things to happen to bedford since the chickenburger, aha. i hope this is not going to sit on the shelf for years and actually get built.
this visioning process seems to be working and is finally giving the basin some attention.
excellent proposal !

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 1:07 PM
Fizzix geek

I have a question...

Is someone (and by someone I mean a developer) actually proposing these particular structures, or is this simply a vision/concept drawn up, ala the sketches we see in the HRMbD documents? I guess I am wondering about the gap between someone laying out a concept as a planning goal, versus someone proposing something that they actually have the ability to follow through on.
I am hoping that this is actually something concrete (ala the long term plans for Kings Wharf) rather than something etherial (ala HRMbD). Not trying to rain on the parade here, but just wanted to ask this before we get too excited about this "proposal".

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 2:09 PM

Thats also what i was wondering because they kept calling it a proposal but didn't name any developers or anything and on the HRM website its called a ''vision''
i would definitely like to see this followed through with though.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 2:50 PM

This is not a developer. It is the city doing a visioning exercise. However, where so much of it is empty land right now I could definitely see a developer coming in and doing something similar to Kings Wharf.

I think it looks great. I agree that there appears to be too much surface parking.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 3:56 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This is not a developer. It is the city doing a visioning exercise. However, where so much of it is empty land right now I could definitely see a developer coming in and doing something similar to Kings Wharf.

I think it looks great. I agree that there appears to be too much surface parking.
Yeah that is what I figured.
It is certainly an interesting plan, and although it has flaws is probably an interesting vision... but there are very few parts of that that are within the city's purview to build, so it is hard to get too excited, since plans written that require other people to step up to the plate with money are kind of only worth the paper they are written on. Having said that... it may stimulate a developer to latch on to this, which is a good thing and I am sure is part of the point of the exercise. Regardless, while site plan is sort of under the visioning exercises control, the look/design of those buildings will not be anything like the drawing since that will be up to the developer.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 4:14 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Yeah that is what I figured.
It is certainly an interesting plan, and although it has flaws is probably an interesting vision... but there are very few parts of that that are within the city's purview to build, so it is hard to get too excited, since plans written that require other people to step up to the plate with money are kind of only worth the paper they are written on. Having said that... it may stimulate a developer to latch on to this, which is a good thing and I am sure is part of the point of the exercise. Regardless, while site plan is sort of under the visioning exercises control, the look/design of those buildings will not be anything like the drawing since that will be up to the developer.
I was under the impression that some of the residential was associated with developments around Wright's Cove - United Gulf and three other developers (I might be completely wrong, if I am then maybe someone could let me know).

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 5:14 PM

There is a yes/no answer to the developer question.

HRM undertook the planning exercise but the two major landowners (United Gulf and Crombie/Sobeys) sat on the committee and are pushing the idea through so they can develop the land sometime in the future. Any land east of the railroad is owned by WDCL so they can call for proposals at anytime and help finance the project to push it through.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 7:01 PM

Also, if the WDCL takes on the task of servicing the land and then creating all of the public space, I bet the developers would come in pretty quickly. Good quality public space can be a huge incentive for development.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Also, if the WDCL takes on the task of servicing the land and then creating all of the public space, I bet the developers would come in pretty quickly. Good quality public space can be a huge incentive for development.
The ferry terminal/library building is in the first phase and already has a road connection to it so when its built it should quickly attract some more developers to the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs