HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 5:46 AM

Canadian sledder dumbfounded by 2010 negativity and opposition

Blog: Whistler Life
CTVOlympics.ca
By Regan Lauscher, CTVOlympics.ca Posted Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:20 AM ET

Well, as sure as an 'amen' in church, the season is underway.

And as much as I'd like to tell you that life as an athlete is filled with bubblegum and cotton candy, chasing butterflies and giggling, reality paints a much different picture.

The un-glamorous truth is, Olympic season is the most notorious of all for unearthing the broadest spectrum of supporters and shunners, cohesiveness and controversy.

All of a sudden, all sorts of opinions and emotion bubble to the surface like oil from an unidentified well. An old cliché turns to fact - peoples 'true colors' indeed come out.

And although there is tons of encouragement by the majority of people, there is definitely a distinct group of people who haven't caught that metaphorical "Olympic" fever.

Simply put, I am preparing to race in a 'home' games in a place that feels nothing like home.

I was euphoric to finally start the season. To stop ‘talking' about it and start doing it. Ready to reap the rewards of a long and grueling summer. Awaiting the pay-off of last years bi-lateral shoulder surgeries. Confident to try my new sled. Itching to get on the ice. Genuinely proud of the work I have put into being an athlete for more than half of my life.

And above all, ready to share that with the world....on Canada's behalf.

But after less than a weeks stay out in Whistler, I'm not so convinced that ALL of Canada shares my keenness or my pride.

With a blunt and harsh realization that not everyone with a Canadian passport is brimming over with excitement and anticipation for the sixteen day event in February, I must admit that my bright and shiny optimism has turned a murky shade of grey.

Not because sliding hasn't been great - it's been fantastic. I feel in top form on my sled, I am in my best physical shape, and emotionally, I feel complete zen.

My biggest challenge at the moment is surviving life in British Columbia.

To be honest I'm not exactly sure what the people in Whistler dislike more, the fact that I'm Albertan or that I'm a participant in their perceived '‘Olympic abomination.'

It's a double whammy against me. Lose-lose.

I can tell you though, that I am less frightened of the near 120, 000 black bears in the area than I am of writing down my home address, wearing my team jacket in public or cheering for the Calgary Flames out loud.

Maybe I reek with the stench of oil or speak in a tongue that sounds a little too progressive conservative, but I feel like if I'm not in snowboard boots, on a committee to save endangered squirrels or addressing the coffee barista by name, then I'm not welcome.

And it's not like we're trying to take over the town. We live humble little luger lives.

Our existence here can be found at the track, in the gym, at the dinner table and in our beds. That's pretty much it.

We were dumbfounded by the lecture we got at Meadow Park Sports Centre for being too ‘aggressive' with the gym equipment and bringing too many people into the facility.

It made about as much sense to me as scolding Dale Earnhardt for showing up at a car dealership unannounced with all his NASCAR buddies. I mean, one might think it'd be good for business.

We're not taking any jobs, we're creating them. So many that they can't even fill them all.

I was shocked when I read the headline on the front page of Friday's Vancouver based newspaper, The Province - "Olympic Jobs Go Begging".

Seriously? Ten thousand PAID positions for a once in a lifetime chance at working at an Olympic Games and we gotta beg? Maybe a free jacket and lunch would sweeten the pot.

We can't even peacefully unveil the Olympic '‘uniform' that the Canadians will wear without political upheaval from our government's opposition and their accusations that the logo was a devious scheme of the conservatives as part of "cheap partisan politics."

Well I'm not much into politics but if the conservatives need me, I'll vouch for them. I was part of the athlete panel who voted on the final logo and I assure you, I wasn't in cahoots with Steven Harper.

At the end of the day, Steve Yzerman likes it, so it's fine by me.

The Olympic Games has catapulted Whistler to the top of any ‘must see' world winter destinations list, unquestionably boosting the economy. The Sea-to-Sky highway, among others, have virtually received complete reconstruction.

And the Olympics are a bad thing?

Don't get me wrong, I welcome debate and firmly believe in the freedom of speech, it's what makes our diverse country so great to live in.

It's the hypocrisy that I can't stand.

You can't reject the Olympic Games and everything it stands for and then turn around and rent your house out for enough money to pay off your mortgage.

I am certainly not implying "everyone' here is against the Olympics. There is a undoubtedly a large group of supporters and to you all, we feel sincerely indebted.

[b]I mean, I get it.... we aren't saving lives, putting guys in the moon or improving the deteriorating environment, but seriously, I have to ask, in a country full of opportunity and prosperity, and with room for everyone, "why the hate?".

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 5:58 AM

I love Vancouver, and BC. But we do have a well earned reputation, there are a lot of stuck-up dickheads here. From the rich NIMBYs on the West Side of Vancouver and Whistler, to the idiots in the APC on the lower east side.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 6:17 AM

I hope every other Canadian outside of Vancouver forwards this to others just to shame those of us here.

I've long said that the people here are as intolerant as the people they rally against for being intolerant. They're not open minded liberals - I know plenty of those and even me for most of the time - these people are closed-minded and extremely bigotted.

Shame on them.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 6:33 AM

I hate to break it to Regan but given this self-important rant, I think we can safely assume the problem isn't Whistler. She starts off saying she's not talking about the vast majority of the people and then proceeds to paint the entire community in a bad light with her whining accusations.

I'm sure she's just dumb-founded to find out not everyone responds to her "charms." But I'm sure she'll have a clearer understanding as word gets around. I doubt anyone in the host alpine city will be tossing rose petals at her feet anytime soon . . . she's about to learn how unforgiving a small town can be - even one sitting in pristine mountain air.

This reminds me of Bode Miller's "better than everyone, including my teammates" attitude a few years back. I imagine Regan's teammates can hardly hide their enthusiasm when she walks into the room.

I'm a big supporter of the Olympics, but this athlete sounds more like a spoiled diva than an Olympian.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjimbc View Post
I hate to break it to Regan but given this self-important rant, I think we can safely assume the problem isn't Whistler.

the more i read the story, the more phoney this seems. i'm not the most empathic person, but this woman seems to be somewhat clueless about her environment. either that, or she is still in high-school. i don't know the name of the barista at the coffee shop, yet that doesn't seem alienating to me. meadow park sports centre seems to be a public facility (i've never been there). if large waves of atheletes occupy the facility for stretches - surprise- i wouldn't like it as a local. perhaps this fault is with vanoc for not providing enough space to train, but i would see why the atheletes got a memo to that regard. Her analogy is wrong, it would be as if dale earnhardt and his buddies took their cars on Hwy 1 for spells at a time to train.

And little Regan, the olympics are not an instant bonanza for everyone. there is a slight decrease in business in whistler due to pre-olympics aversion. the thousands of olympic jobs going begging are mostly unskilled labour in retail, food service and security. sorry regan, but you are not the means to salvation for the poor townsfolk of whistler.

Don't get me wrong the olympics will delivery benefits to the area, we leveraged new civic infrastructure with a new subway line and a convention centre. but the writer seems truely clueless about the subtlties of interactions around her. here's a few tips:

-if you hang around other olympic atheletes all day long, people will view you as that, not as a local. that's not necessarily a bad thing. if you don't like it, mingle with the locals - join a local yoga class, volunteer, do something.
-be mindful when using public facilities. if that is difficult to do, talk to your coach to get alternate space or reserved time.
-and jebus, if you cheer for the flames in vancouver, get thicker skin.

now if you excuse me, i'll need to get my snowboard boots on and go to the endangered squirrels meeting...

Last edited by mezzanine; Oct 8, 2009 at 7:05 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 7:03 AM

mezzanine said it better than I did. I was still fuming a bit when I wrote my comment but can't actually say I feel the need to take any of it back.

It's simply been my experience that when someone starts ranting at how bad the "world" is treating them, they are missing the more obvious source of their discontent.

And, mezzanine, I'll introduce you to Skeeter after your meeting . . . go squirrels!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 3:08 PM

i hear ya. but we know the people in our region. i know what some of those people she is describing are like.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 3:42 PM

The people I've met in BC are some of the nicest people I've ever met.

But they don't gush over anyone . . . which is actually one of the things I find appealing. It's kinda like the big apple in that sense. People are expected to make their own way and not take themselves too seriously. Maybe Vancouver is gaining a bit of urban flare after all .

Besides, there are enough political caveats in her little spiel that it could easily qualify under the political category of topics here. I mean, her real message is she doesn't like those elite latte-sipping environmentalists anyhow. She doesn't actually come right and say that, but read her statements a couple of times. That IS the message.

She'd apparently be much happier in Alberta where her conservative-sounding voice (whatever that means) would be applauded. It appears to really gall her that she has to endure those lefties on the coast who got the Games.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 6:22 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regan Lauscher

Maybe I reek with the stench of oil or speak in a tongue that sounds a little too progressive conservative, but I feel like if I'm not in snowboard boots, on a committee to save endangered squirrels or addressing the coffee barista by name, then I'm not welcome.
That. Was. Awesome.

Seriously though, she does have a good point. Anyone who spends any time in Whistler definitely notices the huge negativity by some people towards the games. They are overwhelmingly the hippie/lefty/save the squirrels type people, but they aren't really the same people who want to rent their houses out for big cash. Most of those people are city-folk with 2nd homes.

The most unfortunate thing is Vanoc and the municipality of Whistler have done a terrible job of selling the games to the locals. The problem first started when Vanoc/Whistler wasn't at all clear (until much much later) what exactly the running of the games would entail for the town. IE, no parking, cutting down forests, etc. The second problem is how they've run it since, raising taxes, charging for parking after the games, $35,000 staff olympic jackets and generally poor management. If I were an average Whistler local (those working 1 or 2 jobs just to pay rent, eat, and ski) I too would wonder what the hell I'm getting out of the games. The tickets for most things are so expensive that they won't even be able to enjoy them. It may not seem fair to everyone else, but Whistler locals should have had priority access to tickets in Whistler or some sort of discount. Or free admission (via a lottery) to the nightly victory ceremonies. By far and large they are suffering the most hosting the games. Traffic will be lousy downtown for Vancouver locals and there it will be tough to park, but hey, if you don't want to deal with it, stay away from downtown and the Olympic venues, the impact of the games everywhere else will probably only be noticed in hotels, bars and restaurants.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 6:44 PM

Really, awvan. What is her point?

I see either that she wants to take cheap political shots at the residents of the Olympic village with a broad sweeping brush - not unlike those silly musicians folks like to complain about for not sticking to the music.

If not that, she's essentially complaining that not enough folks are kissing her prima donna backside, affording her the special consideration she's used to receiving.

Other than that, what is her point exactly?

I support the Olympics. I've in fact been one of the people irritated at the fact that some folks won't get behind the effort that is going to happen in just a few short months. In my opinion, even those that disagree should really get behind the effort at this point as we are the host Province, City, and Village. It reflects on all of us.

But I don't get ANY of that message in her juvenile rant. Not a bit. I read cheap shots and pathetic whining.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 7:24 PM

She's a Flames fan... enough said

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 7:32 PM
Bridge Walker!

Hey, the only thing I noticed is that she's a little bit of a hottie.

Did she say something? lol!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 7:45 PM

She is actually pretty. She reminds me of a work client from a few years back who spoke her mind pretty freely. So I'll get off my own soapbox now .

I'd love to see her medal. I imagine they're all feeling the pressure these days.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 9:03 PM

Quote:
She'd apparently be much happier in Alberta where her conservative-sounding voice (whatever that means) would be applauded. It appears to really gall her that she has to endure those lefties on the coast who got the Games.
There is some truth there. From my time in Alberta, I find that there tends to be more group-think, more of a tendency for people to conform, to think the same and chastise those who do not. It is a province that consistently elects one political party, both federally and provincially, is it not?

In BC, I think you get more used to dealing with those on other areas of the spectrum.

Nevertheless, I don't entirely disagree with her point of view. I wish that there was less dissent with regard to the games but in the end I think I also have some tolerance and understanding for the dissenters too, although only to a certain extent. I used to date someone who was very much anti-everything and thought they were god's gift to irrational self-righteousness. It gets quite tiring. Although, there are also those who accuse me of the same thing. Once again, I guess it all depends on where you find yourself in that spectrum.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 12:40 AM
Earthling

Sheesh...This is what happens when people are either unexperienced travelers or simply don't know how to be a tourist.

Blend in, be intrigued by the locals, get to know them, wear what they wear, be respectful of your hosts and how their world has been turned upside down--in part due to your visit. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how supportive and friendly they become, differing backgrounds notwithstanding!.
"There is no endeavour more noble than the attempt to achieve a collective dream. When a city accepts as its mandate its quality of life; when it respects the people who live in it; when it respects the environment; when it prepares for future generations, the people share responsibility for that mandate, and this shared cause is the only way to achieve that collective dream." - Jaime Lerner

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 2:06 AM

Quote:
I support the Olympics. I've in fact been one of the people irritated at the fact that some folks won't get behind the effort that is going to happen in just a few short months. In my opinion, even those that disagree should really get behind the effort at this point as we are the host Province, City, and Village. It reflects on all of us.
i find the media is the biggest downer! they can never report on anything positive about the games and when they do, it always has to be countered with a negative or someone who is opposed to something.

take tonight for example. ctv (the "olympic" network) ran a story about how Vanoc stole some wool shirt design from a native band on the island. then there was how the gov't spend $400k on olympic tickets with the premise "didn't get an olympic ticket? - well the gov't has lots". then it was how city hall completed some renos and "is this really the time to do this?". Yesterday it was about the live city and that nag of an old woman complaining, this woman here complaining on her blog about whistler, it goes on and on and on.

so where the hell is the good news??!! are we hosting the olympics or what? it's really annoying hearing the same whining every single night about some other lame issue.

i for one, have my red mittens so screw you naysayers!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 2:09 AM

Unfortunately i find in almost any story they only show the "against" public comments, whether it is for public transit, a highway, a new building, new lights, etc... so there is nothing new here.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 2:16 AM

Anybody who watches the news for "news" will be sorely disappointed.

If, however, you are watching it for sensationalist journalism that generates ratings and false controversy, you'll be right on.

This USED to be a rare thing, but, yeah, not so much now. You're much better off finding your own "news" online.

I mean, even CNN has gone the way of MTV, in that MTV barely shows music videos, and CNN rarely tells you more than what Octomom and Jon & Kate are doing.

And newspapers wonder why they are going bankrupt...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post

i for one, have my red mittens so screw you naysayers!
I just bought mine too. And about 15 other pairs for friends abroad. I told them to just buy it online but nooooooooo............they think it's more special if I send it to them via mail. Friends....

I like that they come in different sizes though, I was worried my hooves might not have fit.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 1:26 PM

^ ah, they got you for "shipping & handling" costs too!

thought i would post this here since it's somewhat related. Rachel Marsden is a New York-based political and media strategist and CEO of GrandCentralPolitical.com

Vancouver's 2010 Winter Olympics are peddling a politically correct fantasy

Forget the 2016 Rio Olympics – there’s a more pressing issue to address: Who is fighting to ensure that the immigrants of European descent are adequately represented at next year’s Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games?

I’m talking about the people who can be credited for turning the city from a giant wilderness into the budding metropolis of today. The place, and indeed the whole of my country, Canada, was pretty third-worldish until the English, French, and various other Europeans arrived and started planning and building infrastructure and government, and teaching the natives discipline, order, and capitalism. Canada or the USA without European immigrants would look somewhat like Africa.

It’s no coincidence that the best countries in the world are either European or founded by Europeans. Everywhere they go, European immigrants make things better – until they’re asked to leave, at which point everything usually descends back into chaos. Not that they ever get any thanks for it.

So how are the Vancouver 2010 Olympics paying tribute to these increasingly marginalized European immigrants and their defining contributions to Canada? By ignoring them completely, it seems.

The logo for the Games is some sort of native Indian stone carving resembling a bloke with massive oedema of the legs. While the natives were carving away at such lovely things, the Europeans were busy building an entire world around them, but that’s conveniently overlooked. The mascots for the games are various hybrids of legendary native indian animals that could only ever exist only after a good toke-up of Canadian weed: a half-whale half-bear hybrid (Miga), a whale-thunderbird-bear hybrid (Sumi), and a sasquatch (Quatchi).

A feature on the 2010 Games website allows you to take a quiz to find out which mascot you are. I can tell you, without even taking the quiz, that even as a Canadian I would be exactly none of them because I’m not some sort of native Indian hallucination with a Japanese name who resembles an Asian cartoon character. I’m descended from the people who built my country, but they’ve been forgotten.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ra...rrect-fantasy/

i think it's complete BS what she's saying. "I’m talking about the people who can be credited for turning the city from a giant wilderness into the budding metropolis of today". i don't know - i think asians had a lot to do with this not just "europeans".

furthermore, what the hell does the London 2012 logo represent?
a pink blob of throw-up! thanks but i prefer ours. at least it means something..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]